Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wall switch propblems  (Read 18547 times)

310sundancer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wall switch propblems
« on: December 21, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »

I have (3) X-10  single pole wall switches installed in my home to operate outside outlets that I use for my X-Mas lights. I can not turn on 2 of the 3 outlets except at the switch itself however I can turn off all 3 with remote or my computer.

I have been searching these posts for the past week and have had no luck finding an answer to my problem. It seems like most have a problem turning things off not on.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Wall switch propblems
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »

I have (3) X-10  single pole wall switches installed in my home to operate outside outlets that I use for my X-Mas lights.

What is/are the model number(s) of these switches?

Hopefully they are not dimmer switches... you shouldn't use these type for controlling a switched outlet.

310sundancer

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 03:49:46 PM »

They are WS467 switches. I dont think they are dimmers.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »

The WS467 are dimmer switches. They just can't be dimmed locally.

These switches are only for incandescent lights. This could be the main source of your problem.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:55:20 PM »

I have (3) X-10  single pole wall switches installed in my home to operate outside outlets that I use for my X-Mas lights. I can not turn on 2 of the 3 outlets except at the switch itself however I can turn off all 3 with remote or my computer.

I have been searching these posts for the past week and have had no luck finding an answer to my problem. It seems like most have a problem turning things off not on.

A WS467 is a dimmer wall switch.

AHP will control it, but local operation will not show in AHP. Timer events will show the proper status in AHP.

When you say "I can not turn on 2 of the 3 outlets except at the switch itself however I can turn off all 3 with remote or my computer."?  If AHP is controlling them, they are working correctly.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

medvampire

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 11:23:50 PM »

I am wondering if the Christmas lights may not be conducting enough to allow for a complete loop of the circut. The WS467 has a small current across the entire loop of the circut. The on signal must through the bulb to the WS467. When the switch is on the current is able to pass through the loop to turn it off but when it is on the resistance of the lights is too great for the signal to pass to turn it back on. Try plugging in a small nightlight in the circut at the beginning strings of lights and see if you have controle.
Steve

310sundancer

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:46:13 AM »

One of the 3 switches I am using works a string of x-mas lights on one side of the house. This one will work both on and off with AHP as well as the remote.

The second switch works my front porch lights (2) 40 wt bulbs. this one will only go on using the switch in the wall. It will not go on using AHP or the remote, however it will go off using AHP and the remote.

The third switch ( on the other side of the house in my garage ) has a string of lights like those on switch #1 but only will go on using the switch in the wall not AHP or remote. Again this outlet can be shut off with AHP and the remote. I tried unpluging the x-mas lights and pluging in a lamp, still will not work.

If the remote can shut things off I know the signal is getting to these switches.

medvampire

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 05:34:20 AM »

Need more info please
Do you have a phase coupler in the system ?
Are there any noise problems that you know of ?
Have you mapped your circuts?
Describe your lay out.

I think you would best served for Christmas lights using an appliance module in a GFI plug in. ( much safer).

Steve

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.