Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Macro won't send email notifcation to domains other than my own  (Read 9292 times)

pflores

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I am trying to use an AHP macro to send an email notification to my work address. I get the following error: Response received is: 550 5.7.1    Mail from [ip address] refused by RBL         I am able to send to my personal address. I can't send to my work address because my internet provider does not allow using their mail systems to relay email. This is to prevent others from using their systems to send out bulk spam. How can I get the email notifications sent to addresses other than my personal one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Patrick

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Macro won't send email notifcation to domains other than my own
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:23:35 AM »

*IF* there is a way to make AHP not try to send mail directly to the listed server (ie. connecting directly to mx.aol.com if you are sending to an aol address or to mx.yahoo.com if you are sending to a yahoo address) you can use an external program to add SMTP Authentication:

http://netwinsite.com/dmail/smtpauth.htm

or

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smtpauth/

If AHP is so poorly written that it always tries to do it's own SMTP delivery you will be blocked most places. Most SMTP servers now refuse direct connections from IP addresses in "home broadband" allocation ranges.

That's why you are getting the refused by RBL message -- it's coming from your work server. Your ISP is letting you send direct to them (ie. port 25 is not blocked). But you need to force it to relay through your ISP SMTP server before your work server will accept the message.

If there's no way to force AHP to use your ISP mail server for delivery or force it to use the "SMTPAuth" program there is one other option since your ISP mail server is allowing delivery to your "local" domain address. Request an additional email address from your iSP and set it up as a "forwarding only" address. All mail delivered to it gets forwarded to your work address. the forward will be done by your ISP mail server so work will accept it.

Gerald

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 12:37:05 PM »

AHP has two options for sending e-mail, but it tries direct SMTP first. We try to automatically determine which one should work, but in this case it sounds like that isn't working. We'll have to add an option for you to select which method to use.

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:52:19 PM »

AHP has two options for sending e-mail

What's the other option?

but it tries direct SMTP first.

Why would any programmer do that? Any mail administrator worth his/her title stopped allowing direct, unauthenticated, SMTP relaying at least 3 or 4 years ago. AHP isn't that old is it? Email sent from a home machine should go to the ISP mail server. Email sent from a business with a domain should go to their domain mail server. Final transport between 2 domains should be handled only by domain mail servers.

If there is an option to send direct it should be the backup option, not the first to be tried. The default should be to ask for a relay server to use AND to offer a way to do SMTP Auth.

Does the "other option" offer the ability to use SMTP authentication? If you're one of our customers you'd have to use a program like the one I mentioned above to handle authentication if you happened to be using a broken application that didn't support it natively.

Gerald

Senior Mail Administrator
SysMatrix.Net

baltek

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 11:20:41 PM »

I still keep getting this error even though I configure the email function to use the X10 portal...arrrggghhhH!

clunker

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 12:34:31 AM »

Any update on this?  I'd like to be able to send email messages.  It seems like you should just be able to use MAPI and everything would automatically work, no?

X10DanInGA

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 09:03:47 PM »

Has a real fix been implemented by X10 for this issue?  For the time being, I have come up with a workarround.

Since ActiveHome only sends to my own local eMail account/address (on my PC) and I use Outlook, I have set-up ActiveHome to send the eMails with a subject line of "AHP On-Alert" and then created a "Rule" in Outlook to watch for that same exact tect in the subject line and forward any such eMails to both my Cell phone eMail address and my work eMail address.

Now, it certainly would be great if the eMail notification on ActiveHome Pro / MyHouse worked as it should.  Awaiting a real fix.  : )
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 06:30:36 AM by X10DanInGA »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.