Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HTPC with X10  (Read 5511 times)

mtx11

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
HTPC with X10
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:39:13 AM »

I am new and wanting some people here to help! Please

Here is want i am going for . i want to control my hd direct tv ,technics stereo reciver , infocus  projector,  4 lights. So what do i need to start this . i will give you the idea of what i want and tell me what to buy and how to set it up. i would be using my Pc or remote (Logitech Harmony 628). i want to turn on the projector and reciver and my directtv . with one button.

then when i wanna watch a movie i want the lights to dim , the movie start and the sound go to a certian level from one button
when the movie ends i want the light to go up the sound to lower either by it self or one button.

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
Re: HTPC with X10
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 06:10:12 AM »

Some x10 modules to control lights.  (hint: try to find a nice fancy *true rocker* for visible in wall stuff, and support scenes that are triggered by standard x10 address/command sets)
Pick up an IR-543, to convert IR to X10.
If harmony doesn't yet have the X10 IR codes, a UR74A remote to program your Harmony with (yes, another remote, so you can cut down on the number of remotes).  You should be able to find the codes with a little google searching, and skip buying this remote.

If you havent yet, pick up a powermid, so you can keep all your tv/vcr/IR based electronics out of site.

You will need to clean up your powerline before starting your x10 lighting project or you will get intermitten results.   

X10 Tools if you are in the mood to do it right.
Signal tester (PowerLine X10 debugger) / Phase coupler (passive at least) / Boosterlinc (in case you can't get rid of some noise) / Noise Filters (powerstrips with RF rejection at 40db between 100kHz and 1Mhz for all your electronics and computers and backup power supplies, or X10 specific Noise Filters @120kHz)

----------  more stuff in the future ------------
Once the base setup is working... onward to the computer...

A PC to PowerLine Transceiver (CM15A or 1132CU).

USB-UIRT - so your pc can receive signal from your harmony and play media center or whatever.

A Program like Girder that can understand the UIRT & your powerline transceiver.

-------
Bookmark this site as it will be a future reference for most of your X10 setup needs...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:25:13 PM by vhoang »

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »

I am new and wanting some people here to help! Please

Here is want i am going for . i want to control my hd direct tv ,technics stereo reciver , infocus  projector,  4 lights. So what do i need to start this... ...i would be using my Pc or remote (Logitech Harmony 628). i want to turn on the projector and reciver and my directtv . with one button.

then when i wanna watch a movie i want the lights to dim , the movie start and the sound go to a certian level from one button
when the movie ends i want the light to go up the sound to lower either by it self or one button.
Although you will certainly get replies from other members here, IMO, you will find *MUCH* more Archived Home Theater information at:

Have fun! :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »

I did something VERY similar here at my home theater.

I only wish I would have added motorized drapes to open when the movie starts.

If you use several lights (I do)... the whole lighting thing will run smoother if you use a macro in AHP (the 628 is a tad slow). I have since added BXVC (voice commands) and a lighting set-up macro. So, I can say "theater on" and the set-up begins.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:04:07 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 05:59:50 PM »

An Ebay shopper huh.

I don't see a big saving there for what your buying. The AHP is the same price at the X10 Site with software , and NO shipping fee's (right now the 8 piece package is only $99 and covers most of your shopping list)

If you check X10 deals...like the 3 for (or 4 for) one price deals.... I think you will do better!

I would definitely add a palmPad remote ( I don't stay home without one).

And don't be surprised if you find you need extra parts and pieces (like filters, or phase coupler). But with a home theater set-up the nickel and dime issues add up.... so I am sure you won't be shocked.

mtx11

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »

no not really an ebay shopper. didnt think to buy them @ x10 . but what do phase couples do and why would i need them. and filters for what are tese things nosiey.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 02:20:05 AM »

no not really an ebay shopper. didnt think to buy them @ x10.
?

but what do phase couples do and why would i need them. and filters for what are tese things nosiey.

Actually it would be your audio (or other) equipment that might add line noise. My theater set-up works fine without any filters or phase coupler. But all homes, electric devices used, and power lines, differ, and results vary. Searching and reading through the forum will provide you all the information you might need.

Home theaters are a bit complex. [When building my Home Theater] I was forced, to learn more than I had expected I would, and I would guess, thats the norm. From engineering the correct projector, and speakers placement..... to planning a good seating arrangement. Though my X10 set-up went smoothly, I had dozens of other issues that had to be resolved "on the fly". I know it can be a little nerve racking, partially because of amount of investment, and because of the technological complexities.

I read HUNDREDS of pages of information (both on-line and off) before beginning the installation. Thats how I discovered X10.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:33:22 AM by Dave_x10_L »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.