Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dusk Dawn Timers Don't Work On Time  (Read 17526 times)

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Dusk Dawn Timers Don't Work On Time
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »

I happened to get home early today and the dusk timers went off at 16:57 as scheduled.  The hardware config screen that shows the date range of 1/13 - 1/15 (today) with a dawn time 07:16 and a dusk time of 16:55 and the date range of 1/15 - 1/17 with a dawn time of 07:16 and a dusk time of 16:57.  Notice that the "2" day resolution is actually 3 days 1/13, 1/14, 1/15 and 1/15, 1/16, 1/17.  My computer is off during the day so I don't have a record of the dusk timers but I'll check the activity log during this week to see when the dawn timers fire and post the results. 

BTW, I tried to attach a screen shot but the board reports that the upload file is full.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 12:01:40 AM »

Tom: Here is what I observed over the past 4 days.

Under tools/hardware configuration the Dusk Time between 01/09-01/17 shows 17:03 (5:03pm).

The following are the Dusk Times the Timers showed and the actual time that the Timer triggered:

Day         Timer Dusk Time          Actual Trigger Time
=====================================
Jan 10            4:53pm                            5:03pm
Jan 11            4:55pm                            5:03pm
Jan 12            4:55pm                            5:03pm
Jan 13            4:57pm                            5:03pm

So it appears, in my setup up anyways, whatever time the hardware config shows is when the Timer triggers. It just doesn't make since why the timer's time changes (almost) daily but isn't actually used.  ???

As you can see, at the start of the 8-day resolution, the Timer looks like it is 10 minutes late.

Hopefully someone else will do a test and see if they get the same results or something different.

(AHP Ver. 3.206, Win2K)

Thanks Puck that sound like what I've been experiencing my dusk timers being off by about 10 minutes, I thought it was just me but apparently this is a software issue. Actually x10 initially told me that this was a hardware related issue. Say Puck how do you know what part of the cycle you're in I'm using the 1.5 every 8 days resolution. Does it depend on when you download your setup into the interface or is it the the day of the month still a little confused on this hoping you can clear it up for me and I think Great work delibaker! I'll switch my resolution to two days also to see if it better matches the time displayed by the program. Seems like x10 could have pointed this out in the instructions, but that's x10 for ya I guess. Thanks Puck, we'll have to compare notes in a few days.

Tom j

delibaker

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 06:10:26 PM »

Hi Tom,

I'll leave my computer running for the remainder of the week to capture the log file thru Saturday 1/20.  I'm curious to find out what happens when the timers fire on Friday 1/19, hw config shows 1/17 - 1/19 dawn at 07:15 and dusk at 17:00, the 1/19 - 1/21 shows dawn at 07:13 and dusk at 17:01.  Strange that a 2 day resolution covers 3 days! Only at X10!

tom j

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »

Hi Tom,

I'll leave my computer running for the remainder of the week to capture the log file thru Saturday 1/20.  I'm curious to find out what happens when the timers fire on Friday 1/19, hw config shows 1/17 - 1/19 dawn at 07:15 and dusk at 17:00, the 1/19 - 1/21 shows dawn at 07:13 and dusk at 17:01.  Strange that a 2 day resolution covers 3 days! Only at X10!

Thanks a lot I think that will probably answer a lot of questions, seems like two of my dusk timers fired on time with the 2 day resolution will check the other two tomorrow. Say how do you know what part of the cycle you're in for example using a resolution of every eight days 1.5% how do you determine the beginning of the cycle is it the day you initially download the file into the interface or does it start at the beginning of the month just want to make sure I'm in syn with the rest of you guys in terms of my interpretation. Thanks

Tom j

tom j

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »

Oh I see you just look at the date range in the hardware configuration right oops well silly me, that is correct though right? Guess I just over looked that. Thanks!

Tom j

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »

I did a 4 day test with the 2 day resolution. Same results just closer times.

Day      H/W Config. Dusk Time      Timer Dusk Time          Actual Trigger Time
=============================================

Jan 14           5:01pm                            4:58pm                        5:01pm
Jan 15           5:03pm                            5:01pm                        5:03pm
Jan 16           5:03pm                            5:03pm                        5:03pm
Jan 17           5:07pm                            5:03pm                        5:07pm

As delibaker stated, there are 3 days shown for each hardware configuration time frame. My Dusk Times for these dates were:

• 01/13-01/15  -  17:01
  • 01/15-01/17  -  17:03
  • 01/17-01/19  -  17:07

So based on the times I am observing, just the first 2 days of each frame is valid. The third is not valid because it's the first in the next frame.

So unless someone shows a different result, I'd have to say ignore what the timer says for Dusk & Dawn and believe the times shown in the Hardware Configuration.

tom j

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 06:14:32 PM »

Hi Tom,

That's what I first thought but it's only two, each day actually represents two days for example look at the 1st of the month 01/01 actually covers the period 01/01 to 01/02 then 01/03 picks up. At least that's the way I understand it. On the second day timers seems to be 2 minutes off completely wiped out the memory of the interface and will check again tomorrow really want to see what happens on day 2 of this 2 day cycle and compare it to delibaker's results. Thanks delibaker!!! can't wait to get to the bottom  of his thing I like I'm sure a lot of you have spent some serious bucks on this stuff and I just want to make sure I can depend on it, I'm often out of town and that this is not a hardware problem like I had been originally told.

Tom j
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:11:26 PM by tom j »

delibaker

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »

Ok, 4 days later here are the results =

Date        Dawn        Dusk
1/17        07:15        17:00
1/18        07:15        17:00
1/19        07:13        17:01
1/20        07:13        17:01

These times match the hw config settings exactly.  Even though the 2 day resolution shows 3 days the last day, which also begins the next sequence, is ignored.   When setting the dawn/dusk timer the times auto entered are close but you can't change them since they're checked but greyed out.  I've tried searching for an .xml file with those entries but no luck.  One thing that did check out is that the hw config times are related to your windows time zone setting and the hw config location setting.

tom j

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »

Ok, 4 days later here are the results =

Date        Dawn        Dusk
1/17        07:15        17:00
1/18        07:15        17:00
1/19        07:13        17:01
1/20        07:13        17:01

These times match the hw config settings exactly.  Even though the 2 day resolution shows 3 days the last day, which also begins the next sequence, is ignored.   When setting the dawn/dusk timer the times auto entered are close but you can't change them since they're checked but greyed out.  I've tried searching for an .xml file with those entries but no luck.  One thing that did check out is that the hw config times are related to your windows time zone setting and the hw config location setting.

OK let me make sure I got it straight if you choose the 2 day resolution the time displayed in the timer designer window will match the actual time the timer executes and also matches the time in the hardware configuration. And any other resolution the times displayed will be different from the actual time the timer occurs? Just want to make sure I got everything straight.
Thanks delibaker you've been a great help in sorting this thing out and I for one want to think you for your time, and yep you get a brownie point at least from me.

Tom j

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »

I use a dawn/dusk timer to turn on a phantom night/day module.
It is dead on the times that are listed in AHP for dawn/dusk.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

tom j

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 06:51:38 PM »

I use a dawn/dusk timer to turn on a phantom night/day module.
It is dead on the times that are listed in AHP for dawn/dusk.

Say what resolution are you using? and it's my understanding that you have to observe for a few days depending on what resolution you're using to really determine how accurate it really is.

Tom j

Vandalized Victim

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »

Puck,

I live in Calgary, don't know your city not on profile except Alberta, believe you and I are on the same province. However, I tried a macro last night to turn on the laundry room between dusk and dawn when a sensor triggered, it worked last night pretty well. This morning around 10 a.m. when I needed to stuff the dirty clothes into the washer, the light turned on. It's way beyond the dawn time today around 7:52 a.m.  A timer works, but not in macro. Can you throw in some thought?

Thanks,
VV

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 03:23:34 PM »

Vandalized Victim: Nice to hear I'm not the only Albertan playing with X10.  :D

I just want to be clear here on what your doing: Are you using the between time ranges condition in a macro triggered by the motion sensor ON?

If so, all I can suggest right now is double check your macro condition and make sure the CM15A is updated with the change (I strongly recommend doing a clear interface before downloading).

Another thought... your light isn't set to the same HC/UC as the motion sensor is it?

Vandalized Victim

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »

Hi Puck (My Fellow Albertan),

First of all I'm not an expert, don't know what HC/UC means. I'm a victim of my house being vandalized. So I called myself Vandalized Victim. You know everytime Alberta goes properous, crime rate jumps.....King Ralph would tell the punks to go back where they belong.....Ed won't ::)

Anyway, yes, I chose between Time Range and selected starting at Dusk and ending at Dawn and triggered by a MS14A. I've been pulling out batteries, clearing CM15A memory for couple of times and the result is the same. I have phase coupler installed on the dryer and couple of noise filters (both 5W and 10W) plugged in everywhere, fridge, PCs, freezer.... I even have a WGL V572A installed for better RF transceiving. Cause I read your comments.  ;)  If permission allows, I'd love to visit your place to see how you'd really set up the gears. ;D

Thanks, VV

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 09:44:39 PM »

...don't know what HC/UC means.

HC: House Code
UC: Unit Code
(The X10 address)

Your macro set up looks right, so all I can think of right now is that your light & motion sensor could be set to the same address. Then it wouldn't matter what your macro condition was set to, the light would always come on.

Yup... the political news has been boring since King Ralph retired.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.