Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not sure how to word this...  (Read 14284 times)

AG

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Not sure how to word this...
« on: January 05, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »

Allright...let the bashing begin...but I do not know how to word this, thus my search attempts were futile...so here goes.

I am curious if this is possible. Currently I have Directv with Tivo in my living room and a regular directv reveiver in my bedroom. I am looking at the X10 to be able to watch TIVO'ed shows in the bedroom. That would normally be simple, get rid of the bedroom reciever, add the X10 and be done with it. BUT...some evenings, my wife will go in the bedroom and watch something differently than what I am watching in the living room. Is it possible to have both the Directv reveiver and the X10 in my bedroom. And if so, how do I "switch" back and forth between the two? IE...watch Tivo'ed shows vs. live tv from the receiver?

Thanks for letting me be a newbie and any responses I may get.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Not sure how to word this...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:20:25 PM »

Allright...let the bashing begin...but I do not know how to word this, thus my search attempts were futile...so here goes.

I am curious if this is possible. Currently I have Direct TV with Tivo in my living room and a regular DirectTV receiver in my bedroom. I am looking at the X10 to be able to watch TIVO'ed shows in the bedroom. That would normally be simple, get rid of the bedroom receiver, add the X10 and be done with it. BUT...some evenings, my wife will go in the bedroom and watch something differently than what I am watching in the living room. Is it possible to have both the Directv reveiver and the X10 in my bedroom. And if so, how do I "switch" back and forth between the two? IE...watch Tivo'ed shows vs. live tv from the receiver?

Thanks for letting me be a newbie and any responses I may get.

No bashing, its a very legitimate question, and one I don't think we have a special category for.  I have Direct TV myself with two of their real TIVO boxes so I think I can address your question. I presume the X10 item you're referring to is their Video Sender which appears to connect to a TV set with 2 audio and one video RCA connectors.  If you hooked it up to your TV video input you'd switch your TV to that input to receive it.

What I don't know is how many and what kind of inputs your TV has.  I also don't know how your regular Direct TV box is connected to your TV set now.  If you're using the video output on the Direct TV box already and don't have a second one on your TV set you'll need to get a 2 way video switch, from Radio Shack for example, so you can switch between X10 and Direct TV.

If you're using a coax (Ch. 3 or 4) connection from the Direct TV box and have an unused video input on your TV than you can use the TV set as the switch.

If you don't have a video input on the TV set at all then you may be up the creek unless an external device such as a VCR or DVD player can do the conversion for you.

Post some more information about your set up and we'll see what we can come up with.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:05:36 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

AG

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:58:13 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Yea...I was referencing the video sender.
Currently in the living room my DTV with TIVO runs into a receiver, and then to the video input on the TV
In the bedroom, DTV is connected to the TV through coax, but I do have 3 video inputs on the back of the TV, so I assume I can just use two of those, one for the  X10 and the other for the DTV? Then just change the inputs on the TV to receive the respective video feed on the TV?
Let me know if I am interpreting this correctly.
Thanks.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:48:42 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Yea...I was referencing the video sender.
Currently in the living room my DTV with TIVO runs into a receiver, and then to the video input on the TV
In the bedroom, DTV is connected to the TV through coax, but I do have 3 video inputs on the back of the TV, so I assume I can just use two of those, one for the  X10 and the other for the DTV? Then just change the inputs on the TV to receive the respective video feed on the TV?
Let me know if I am interpreting this correctly.
Thanks.

A "video" connection requires three shielded cables with RCA connectors, one each for L & R audio and one for the picture (video).  So if you say you have three of the color coded RCA jacks on the back of your TV set you actually only have one "video" input.  If you had nine jacks there you'd have three "video" inputs.  Check your TV instruction manual to clarify this.

In any case I think you'll be able to leave your existing DTV coax connection in place and use the "video" connection for the X10 video sender.  Check the DTV remote control.  I think it has a TV/Video button on it.  Again if you really do have three "video" inputs on the back of your TV set you'll need to check the TV manual to see which one the set defaults to when you first push the TV/Video button to switch to video.

Don't hesitate to post again if you have more questions.

PS What is the "receiver" the TIVO signal is fed through in the living room before it gets to the TV set?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:52:43 AM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.