Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ELK-9100 Ultramate problem with HC60RX  (Read 5928 times)

toda

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ELK-9100 Ultramate problem with HC60RX
« on: January 06, 2007, 08:51:57 PM »

This is in addition to some of the other Ultramate threads on this site.

I am operating two ELK-9100 for more than a year (waterheater, pool)
using a CM11A and Heyu running under Linux. The Ultramates worked
flawless much better than the other high amp X10 switches.
I was operating them by downloading macro timers into the CM11A (housecode D).

Recently I replaced the CM11A with its successor the HC60RX plugging
it into the same outlet as the CM11A and downloading the same macro-timer set.
All other X10-modules (over 14) worked as before but the two Ultramates
were not triggered at all using the timers.
Switching them with single commands, manually under the Heyu interface
worked surprisingly without problem.
So for some reason generating the X10 commands by the timer-macro did
not switch the Ultramates but explicitly running the command over the interface
did. This problem does show only with HC60RX, the old CM11A worked.

It looks like the HC60RX must send a different signal when running through the
internal timer routine compared with a direct command to turn an appliance on
and again this difference affects only the Ultramate because all other X10 appliances work
flawless.
So either the ELK guys implemented the specs correctly and all newer control units do not or some
of the specs changed after the CM11A and the ELKs were not updated.

I fixed the problem by moving the events to the cron manager of Linux, switching
the Ultramates with single commands instead of the macro timers.
It works but is not satisfying, anybody has solved this problem?.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: ELK-9100 Ultramate problem with HC60RX
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:48:26 PM »

The HC60RX is actually an earlier version of the CM11A.  You may notice that 'heyu info' identifies the firmware as revision 7, whereas your CM11A was undoubtedly revision 1.  (Yeah, they're numbered bassackwards).  My actual CM11A units purchased around 1997-98 have revision 7 firmware; several years later they're revision 1.

Now to your problem:
I have observed the same thing with a Smarthome TempLinc 1625 Remote Thermometer.  Sending it a 'heyu status H1' command returns the temperature encoded in a Preset Dim command (which Heyu decodes to display the temperature).

It works fine with the status command sent either from the command line or from a macro in memory so long as it's from a CM11A with firmware revision 1.  And it works fine with a HC60RX or a CM11A firmware revision 7 interface when sent from the command line.  But I don't get a peep from the thermometer when the command is sent from a macro in memory on either of these firmware revision 7 models.   Plugging the thermometer transmitter directly into the convenience outlet of the interface makes no difference.

I've observed no problem with the macro-executed status command with other 2-way modules like a RR501 or LM14A.  The only "foreign" switch I own is a Smarthome LampLink, and there's no problem with that.   Actually, until I saw your post I was wondering if my TempLinc thermometer was on it's way south.

I assume there's got to be some timing difference between the firmware 7 and firmware 1 models which isn't comprehended by some non-X10-manufactured modules, but it'll take someone with an oscilloscope to figure out what it is.

BTW, if you want to keep all your timers confined to the HC60RX you can do what I do - have the macro send a command to a dummy module address (or a command not supported by the module to the actual address) and then use a Heyu SCRIPT directive to send the actual signals to the actual switches.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

toda

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »

Thank you for your reply. Good idea with the heyu scripts, I have to admit I never used them  :)

Interesting your statement about the HC60RX vs. CM11A. Yes, you are correct, heyu is identifying
the firmware version as Rev. 7. I got the HC60RX from Smarthome.com last week, ordering
the CM11A. It came with a note from Smarthome : "Your order has been upgraded to the RCA
HC60RX".Well, Back to the Future I guess. Even if one figures out the timing difference I guess there
is no way to get hold of the Firmware of the HC60RX in a readable form. At least I have seen nothing in the
open users groups.

Where can you still buy a real CM11A with Rev 1 firmware?
I checked on e-bay and the X10 sites but it looks to me they only sell the RCA unit.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:09:57 PM »

The RCA branded unit is the CM11A in a "different suit".  The software link takes you to Active Home version 1.42.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 11:52:02 PM »

Thank you for your reply. Good idea with the heyu scripts, I have to admit I never used them  :)

Interesting your statement about the HC60RX vs. CM11A. Yes, you are correct, heyu is identifying
the firmware version as Rev. 7. I got the HC60RX from Smarthome.com last week, ordering
the CM11A. It came with a note from Smarthome : "Your order has been upgraded to the RCA
HC60RX".
Well, Back to the Future I guess. Even if one figures out the timing difference I guess there
is no way to get hold of the Firmware of the HC60RX in a readable form. At least I have seen nothing in the
open users groups.

Where can you still buy a real CM11A with Rev 1 firmware?
I checked on e-bay and the X10 sites but it looks to me they only sell the RCA unit.

If Smarthome shipped you a HC60RX in place of a CM11A you were ripped off, especially at the price I see posted for the CM11A on their website plus their high S&H.  You should demand your money back, including 2-way shipping, or at least a major price adjustment!!!

X-10 is selling the HC60RX for $10 + $6 S&H and they throw in a remote.  See:  http://www.x10.com/promotions/hc60rx_vt_kit.html

X-10 is still showing the CK11A ActiveHome kit for $49.99 + $6 S&H, however they might pull the same switcheroo unless you make it clear that you only want a recent vintage X-10 branded CM11A.  See: http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_ck11a_2.htm

Keep checking eBay.  Actual CM11A kits (CK11A)  show up frequently.

Email some of the dealers who run X10 eBay stores.  They won't be able to tell you the firmware revision but if the date sticker starts with 00 or higher it'll probably be OK.  (I have a revision 7 CM11A  with date sticker 7B09 and a revision 1 CM11A with date sticker 9D18.  Somewhere between 1997 and 1999 is when the firmware was changed.)

BTW, if you're running Heyu you should subscribe to the Heyu Users Forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.