Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to use X10 with a gas fireplace that has a pilotless ignition system?  (Read 3077 times)

mburwen

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

There is information on X10 Community about how to use X10 with a gas fireplace that has an always-on pilot ignition system.  However, many of the newer fireplace models have a pilotless ignition system such as Heatilator's "Intellifire."  Has anyone addressed the issue of using X10 with that?

Boiler

mburwen,

Not sure how you want to control this device with X10.  The Intellifire controller is a fairly sophisticated device.  Page 43 of the following link shows the installation. 

http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/4047-132.pdf

The controller offers (page 47):
  • Flame height adjustment
  • Fan speed adjustment
  • Automatic temperature control (built in thermostat)

The interface to the device is not specified - being a 3 wire interface they must be using a form of serial data (not sure if it's ac or dc).

There is a manual over ride rocker for battery powered operation (when the AC power is off).  I suppose you could use a X10 contact switch in this position.  When operating on battery power the controller is disabled. 

As I said, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  I don't think I'd feel comfortable allowing an X10 device complete control over a fireplace (at least not without manual lockouts).

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: How to use X10 with a gas fireplace that has a pilotless ignition system?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »

Good Afternoon,

From what I see this may be one of the systems that X10 will only subtract not enhance the operation of your unit.  From what I could see from the manual it is a three wire low voltage interface, if so the following might solve your meet your needs.

If you must have a remote mount the wall mount unit is a box (Outside type) painted would probably look nice.  You can use bondo to make it look even better; add some rubber feet, appropriate wire and you are all set.

It appears that it could be a single wire serial interface with power and ground supplied for the electronics in the wall unit. This is just a guess. 

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.