Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where is the basic "start guide"?  (Read 4224 times)

King5555

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Where is the basic "start guide"?
« on: January 12, 2007, 04:24:56 PM »

Hello-

I'm brand new to X10.  I have decent computer skills (built my pc, modded my xbox) but I have recently started to look into home automation.  Of course I want to do everything in the world and spend as little as possible.  I have been reading tons of websites and checking out different options (RFID, Lutron, etc) and it looks like X10 might be the way to go for me.  I was trying to confirm a few things before I invest at all but after hours of reading and searching in forums, I couldn't find exactly the straightforward answers I need.  Forgive me if these have all been asked before, but searching forums and google for things like "home wiring" either gives millions of results or none at all.  No offense to anyone involved, but the main X10 website seems awful at providing any information and makes me feel like everything they offer is just a gimmick with all the popups, flashing and multi-colors.  So, here are my questions:

1. Is there some sort of Base X10 unit that sets up the standard in your house?  Or is the standard built into each component such as a lamp module and a remote?  I was looking at the basic starting package and it didn't seem to include anything like that.

2. I live in an old house.  I basically want to be able to control things, starting with the lights, using my PC.  I am only talking about overhead lights (not the lamp modules).  It seems that you can either use the socket plug ins or the X10 wall plates.  I would ideally like to use wall plates providing no new wiring needs to be done.  I am also assuming I would then need one of the PC products to be able to control the lights from my PC and a remote to use around the house, say by the bed.  Absolutely NO rewiring needed.  Does this sound correct? 

3. In terms of the remotes, I read that there are both IR and RF styles available.  I am assuming the IR are basically worthless for lights since you would need to be in range of the receiver.  So assuming I was using some sort of RF remote, does that remote talk to the wall plate, my PC, some other receiver somewhere or all/some of the above?  FYI, the remote section of the product page doesn't give great descriptions as to what type of remotes they are.

4. I read that there are problems using fluorescent bulbs with X10.  Does this include the new compact flourescents?

5. I also read that the X10 standard only allows for 16 devices max in the US.  Can you increase this with more "base" modules of any sort, or is that the max?

6. Once set up and running through a PC, could you use a remote such as a key fob to trigger a series of things, maybe with a macro or can each button only control one object?  So you could basically shut down your house from the car or turn on a bunch of lights with one button.

7. Do any RFID products exist that are compatible with X10 so you could do something like have all of your lights come on when your car approaches (without pushing the buttons)?  I know that is extremely lazy, but it's pretty cool.  I also know there are plenty of dedicated RFID products out that do these things, but most of the ones I have been reading about would require rewiring for the lights to work.

I'm really sorry for all the questions, but I just found out that my wife will be going out of town for work and I wanted to surprise her (or more accurately start doing all this while she is gone).  I have been researching other options off and on for months when someone said it sounded like X10 would be a good match, but they had never used it themself.

If it was inappropriate to ask all these questions in one post or if I put them in the wrong place, let me know.  I know forums get posted the same info over and over and it can get annoying.  If anyone can answer any or all of these questions I really appreciate it.

Thanks!

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Where is the basic "start guide"?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 04:48:47 PM »

Hmmm...How long a book do you want me to write? What's it pay?

So  a SHORT stab...

1. Basic modules include a RR501 for RF reception, CM11a (old, but I like ($10 here)) for computer control, or a CM15a for both (AHP), or one of several tabletop controllers. You won't do anything without one of these.

2. Basic controls include an outlet replacement (prone to breaking) - you must remove your old receptacle and WIRE in the new one, light switches (your wall plates? WS467) same as before but more dependable and dimmable (only for incandesent lights), appliance modules (plug in your appliance to this and this into the wall), lamp modules (same as previous but they dim). You MAY be able to use a wireless switch (SS13a) and a socket rocket (LM15A)and do NO wiring, but most find the range and feel of the wireless switches VERY limited.

3.X10 remotes talk to the RR501 or CM15a. Many IR remotes can talk to the IR543.

4. I use them on socket rockets and appliance modules. They are known to induce line noise making your system unreliable.

5. 256 devices, 16 per house code. RR501 can only hear one house code, CM15a can hear them all - sort of. You can add more RR501's for more house codes or a device like a WGL572.

6.Yes.

7. Yes, but not currently w/ AHP. You need a program like Homeseer or HAL for that. Many "homelink" garage door transmitters  built into some vechicles (like my 4Runner) can learn and send X10.

See phase couplers, line noise and the related threads because of known problems. For me X10 is the best solution. If you have no problem with cost UPB might do well. Other systems include Z-Wave and Insteon.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 05:12:01 PM by glt »

King5555

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I'll definitely check out those suggestions, but cost certainly IS an issue.  Also, I don't wind wiring in the actual light plates, I just don't want to tear into walls.

When you talk about those other X10 systems that can do the RFID stuff, do those systems REPLACE the stuff on this website or are they compatible with it, meaning could I still start with the stuff you described and then add on to allow for RFID or would that be a waste?

Thanks!

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 05:30:32 PM »

They are MUCH more expensive software programs that replace the AHP software. To my knowledge the ones I metioned work with RFID and won't work w/ the CM15a . The other hardware will still work.

To REALLY save money and get a taste for this stuff try this (and download the OLD AH free from the eupport section of this site)

http://www.x10.com/promotions/hc60rx_vt_kit.html

The hardware will work w/ the other programs I metioned.

GLT
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 05:32:57 PM by glt »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 07:33:56 PM »

One thing to be cautious about is your O/S.  WindowsXP has a problem with serial port communication on some motherboards, which drives the CM11A and Active Home nuts.  The interface dissapears from the software and reappears on a "hit or miss" cycle.  The only solution is to upgrade to the USB CM15A interface and Active Home Professional (Referered to as either AHP or Active Home Pro).

As to X10 units, there are Lamp and Applicance Modules, Wall Switches, Transciever Modules and other X10 units available.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 12:52:54 AM »

King5555: Look at TTA's information post here PLC / RF Transmitters, Receivers and Transceivers, it explains the different components that make up an X10 system.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.