Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combining 3 windows to one sensor  (Read 9565 times)

wormboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Combining 3 windows to one sensor
« on: January 12, 2007, 05:52:15 PM »

I lost the window sensor thread (didn't come up in search for some reason).  Want a diagram to link three sets of window contacts to one unit.  I found the diagram for two windows, but nothing for 3, and I'm electronically impaired.  Puck - are you out there Puck?
-Also - I know the directions say line up the arrows, but can the unwired contact be at a right angle to the wired half of the contact?  That would install easier.  Anyone know?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 05:55:05 PM by wormboy »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Combining 3 windows to one sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »

wormboy: Here is a quick (basic) drawing for how to connect the 3 window switches:

As long as you string them in series, you can add as many as you want.  ;)

-Also - I know the directions say line up the arrows, but can the unwired contact be at a right angle to the wired half of the contact?  That would install easier.  Anyone know?

You could try it before you install it... but I think you will find that it the 2 have to be in parallel for the magnet to close the switch properly and consistently. It could lead to a lot of false alarms.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:25:46 PM by Dave_x10_L »

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 06:43:51 PM »

While Puck's answer is "safe" , I've been using them that way for years, with the arrow pointing at the "back" of the stick on unwired one, and no false alarms. Try the orientations, one way is better than the other.

I don't even know HOW to put them on a door without right angles, windows work fine as described.

GLT

wormboy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:31:25 PM »

Thanks guys as always for great advice.

Tonight I wired my first two windows and was able to hide the wires well by running them through the window track.  My system is slowly coming on-line, I am real excited.  Hopefully tomorrow my glass break detectors will come, and then its time to wire those!  I was able to pick up a bunch of FGW-725s from Ebay, and I am going to wire them with DS10As.

If anyone is interested in those, the guy I bought from had at least six or so left.  Just search the model number on ebay. 

Thanks again

And Puck, Nice drawing, thanks!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:38:03 PM by wormboy »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:39:12 PM »

glt: Thanks for the info on how you use the switches at a right angle. It's good to know they work fine that way too.

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 08:56:42 AM »

wormboy,

Are you going to do something like this w/ your FGW-725's?

http://www.hometech.com/learn/hdigb.html

That is a mod for the older door/window sensors and the FGW-725's. Please let us know how you proceed.

Only 3 left last I looked - and I think they may be hard to come by.

GLT

wormboy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:41:09 AM »

Thats exactly why I bought them.  I have a lot of crank out windows, so window sensors are useless, and a have a dog, so motion sensors are out. 
I am a little nervous about the complexity of the wiring, but I'm going to be careful and go slowly.
I will keep you all informed. 
If it works, then this is the best $16 I ever spent. 
We shall see how it goes.  :-\

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.