Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vanguard crash on XP 'Can not run dll as program'  (Read 28751 times)

tch

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Vanguard crash on XP 'Can not run dll as program'
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:03:23 PM »

This happens randomly when I work with the software.
I have had it running on two diff. computers (not at the same time) and it is the same problem on both.
I am running Win XP Prof. SP2.

Anybody got this same error and found a solution??

Tommy

chefjason1983

Re: Vanguard crash on XP 'Can not run dll as program'
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:07:19 AM »

I am having the same issue as you are. So far I have no solution. If you find one please let me know

zach1234

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:26:41 PM »

you could get an linksys IP camera and replace all cameras. Thats what i did  rofl
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:38:56 PM by Zach1234 »

Aquadeveloper

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:01:56 PM »

The Linksys Cam's are a 'little' pricey.   :o
Ones I looked at don't have pan and tilt either, which I need.

zach1234

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 12:54:57 AM »

Get into your firewall and DISSABLE run dll as a app!!!!!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

greydog

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 11:01:18 AM »

When I tell Vanguard to record video it appears to work just fine.  I can look at the History tab and see the video marker growing.  I left it on all night and checked the History tab this morning and it was pretty solid, indicating a large amount of video had been recorded over the 12 hours that I had it running.  But then when I click on the Record button to stop the video I get an error message stating "run a dll as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close".  That shuts down Vanguard.  I open Vanguard back up and check the History tab again and everything that I saw previously is gone. I am have XP Pro, 3.4 gig processor, 2 gig RAM, 500 gig hard drive.  I've tried enabling/disabling "run a dll" in my Firewall and in my Start up tab under "msconfig".  Nothing seems to correct this problem.  My Vanguard seems to work pretty good except for this issue.  Anybody got any advice?  Maybe there is a better program to use then Vanguard?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:06:43 AM »

Maybe there is a better program to use then Vanguard?

With AHP & all plug-ins you can do everything Vanguard does plus!
You can find this package for $49.00 usually .The forum won't except the link right now! ::) :(
Plus with free AHP thirdparty add-ons you are only limited by your imagination! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

seven_77

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »

If the software runs but you see that error sometimes, try going into Options-Snapshots and changing image storage frequency to record less often than every 5 seconds.

There are two other things that you can try if you receive this error. First, make sure that all of your X10 software is closed. Then open up My Computer and go to the local drive C. Once there, look for the directory labeled "My Images." Right-click on the directory, and select the option 'Rename.' Change the name to something other than it is currently; "My Images Temp" will suffice. Then try to open the Vanguard software again.

If that does not fix the issue, please reinstall Vanguard.

Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and click on the ‘Add/Remove’ button for Vanguard. Note: You may receive a message saying "Could Not Find Install.Log." If you get this, delete the folder at C:\Program Files\Vanguard. Run the Vanguard installer again, and repeat Step #1.
A window will pop up asking if you would like to do an ‘Automatic’ or ‘Custom’ uninstall. Select ‘Custom.’
Click on the ‘Select all’ button, and then the ‘next’ button on every screen in the Uninstall Wizard.
Click ‘Finish.’ Repeat steps 1-4 for X-Ray Vision, X10 Hardware, and any other X10 software installed.
Reboot the computer.
Go to My computer | C: | Program files | Common files.
Delete the ‘X10’ folder. If you receive a message that states you cannot delete this folder, go to step 8. If you can delete it, go to step 12.
Press the Crtl, Alt, and Del buttons on your keyboard at the same time to bring up Task Manager.
Click on Processes. End process for x10net.exe.
Delete the ‘X10’ folder in the ‘Common Files’ folder.
If this does not work, reboot the computer and repeatedly press F8 while it loads to bring up the Safe Mode menu. Boot into Safe Mode and delete the ‘X10’ folder in the ‘Common Files’ folder.
Reboot the computer.
Disconnect your VA11A Video Capture Adapter.
Install the Vanguard software and plug in the VA11A when prompted.
Reboot the computer again.
Retrieved from "http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/%27rundllasapp_has_encountered_an_error_and_needs_to_close%27"

seven_77

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »

don't forget to go to options, general and change the storage location to "my images (and what ever you have renamed it to )

bhoffman67

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »

Firewall.

I went into my Firewall (I'm running XP Home, SP2) and unchecked the box next to "Run a dll as an App".  This lead to the same Microsoft error that I have been getting while running Vanguard (which closes Vanguard).  It appears as though this item showing up on the Firewall pertains only to when streaming to the internet (which I have yet to get worked out... first things first).

Am I wrong?  Is there another way to keep Vanguard from crashing with this message?

zach1234

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »

Try a SYSTEM Restore. Let me know how it turns out.

bhoffman67

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »

"Try a SYSTEM Restore. Let me know how it turns out."

Why would you suggest this??  A restore sets Windows back the "way it was" before an installation.  I guess in a way, this would work because then Vanguard wouldn't be installed, thus no problems with Vanguard but I'm sure this isn't what you meant.  Any other suggestions??

zach1234

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »

Did you try a system restore and reinstall.

If so dose it pop up with a warning saying to blosck something

If you didnt then dont expect to get your problem fixed if you DONT WANT TO TRY the steps people give you to help.

bhoffman67

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 10:21:08 PM »

Yes, I've done a system restore, an uninstall, a reinstall, and even rebooted my computer several dozen (not exaggerating) times before doing the above steps, during, and after.

I've not gotten a pop-up from the firewall about Vanguard... ever.  Then again, I've not gotten past simple installation problems to go on to the higher technical issue of attempting to view my cameras remotely.

Additionally, I've gotten the "run app as a dll" abnormal end with that program both checked, and unchecked in my firewall.

zach1234

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »

So you are unable to remotely connect. If so let me know i can help with that. Did you try to delete all files from your hard drive. and win registry.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.