Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: treadmill makes the light go out  (Read 9198 times)

brett1740

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
treadmill makes the light go out
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:50:17 PM »

hey boys and girls!

i am having this wierd problem
 i have been using x-10 for a couple of years now with out.....well with almost no problems, untill recently my wife went to use the treadmill late in the aftenoon(nomally using it in the day when the light isn't needed) and she informed me that after about 30 seconds of using the treadmill the light would turn off on its own. oh i know i'll put a filter on that bad boy and all of our problems will be solved.........negative...still the light would go out....ok how about 2 filters piggybacked....nope not even that......does any one have any ideas what might be going on?

thanks

brett

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: treadmill makes the light go out
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:09:44 PM »

...does any one have any ideas what might be going on?

V i b r a t i o n
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 06:40:48 AM »

If you've already tried the AF120, then it's...
Time to step up to the next level...
The Isolater 250.     :o

Tripp Lite IS250.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=226

(froogle it to cut msrp in half)

- keep in mind the treadmill amperage, hopefully you don't have to step it up another notch or you may not be able to justify the cost to the wife  ;) -
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:46:50 AM by vhoang »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »

I agree with TTA. This just doesn't fit the noise scenario.

It has been a long time since I have seen generated noise turn a module OFF. I have had modules come ON during flicker/brownout conditions, but my experience has been that this problem went away when X10 added MOVs to appliance and lamp modules, back in the 1980s.  If it is noise, a quick check might be to change the modules HC and UC several times and running the treadmill after each change to see if the problem goes away.

If it is noise simulating an OFF for that module code, or an "All Off" code, other modules would also likely be affected...are they? (set a separate  lamp module to the same code and see if it turns OFF also).

What is controlling the light? Lamp module, Wall Switch? Wall switches are more sensitive to dips in line voltage.

What happens if you plug a table light into the same outlet as the treadmill, any dimming or flickering noted, when the light in question goes out?

This is a good one, but I don't think throwing money at filters will fix it. If you find a solution, please post it for us.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »

treadmill and x10 have been a strange but common problem i've heard of a number of times before.

anycase... follow suggestion dave's suggestion and explore other possible noise sources before investing in:

The Isolator 250

brett1740

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »

thanks everybody for the inputs, im sory i for got to specify my set up.
leviton 1000w wall switch dimmer that controls half of an outlet(hard wired from the switch). the table lamp is controled by that, now the treadmill is on a different outlet on the other side of the room(i have not checked to see if they are on the same circuit) now i have checked the AHP send and recieve log and it didn't show any signals for that device. i will be checking into the things that dave mentioned and I WILL get to the bottom of this and i will keep you guys posted.
thanks again

brett

brett1740

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »

ok an update!
tried alot of things and the only thing that would fix it was installing a non dimable switch. :-\

still trying to sort it all out.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 02:41:43 PM »

...I WILL get to the bottom of this and i will keep you guys posted.
I'm curious on this one too.

I agree with TTA. This just doesn't fit the noise scenario....
...Wall switches are more sensitive to dips in line voltage.
What happens if you plug a table light into the same outlet as the treadmill, any dimming or flickering noted, when the light in question goes out?
This is a good one, but I don't think throwing money at filters will fix it. If you find a solution, please post it for us.

I'm betting on Dave's line voltage drop idea also.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.