Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with DS7000  (Read 9033 times)

doyle412

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help with DS7000
« on: April 08, 2006, 12:32:02 AM »

I have purchased the DS7000 and I am having problems with the Security Console. It doesnt call the phone numbers I have placed into memory. The rest of the system works o.k and it goes into alarm if triggered. Also the Console is plugged into a phone jack and a message was recorded. Does anyone know the problem? :-\

Sonic

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Help with DS7000
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »

I have purchased the DS7000 and I am having problems with the Security Console. It doesnt call the phone numbers I have placed into memory. The rest of the system works o.k and it goes into alarm if triggered. Also the Console is plugged into a phone jack and a message was recorded. Does anyone know the problem? :-\
Hi Doyle,
Maybe some things to try:  Are you using the phone jack splitter?  Maybe try without it.  Can you plug a regular phone into the wall jack (where you have the ds7000) and make sure you have a dialtone.  When the alarm triggers, does the record light come on?  One more thing, around here everything needs a one (1) prefix for the phone number...Hope this helps.
If it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features yet.

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »

I also have this problem.  Doyle, did you resolve this issue and how?
What has your home done for you today?

jeffdharlan

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:41:14 AM »

Doyle (and others who have a problem dialing out),

I had the same issue.  What to look out for when the console is not fully communicating with devices or dialing out is
1.) Are you using an outlet that is close in vicinity to a highly utiliized surge strip and/or outlet that has many items like PCs, laptops, TV, DVD, VCR, etc.  I believe this has less to do with dialing out and more to do with lamp/appliance modules not full functioning elsewhere in the house.

2.) Is the phone line "clean".  I have two phone outlets in a room.  One works dialing out, the other does not (but I can hook a phone up to the "nonworking" line and call others with no problems).  My guess is a professional installed one line and the other was installed later on by a homeowner.  Maybe the equipment/line/phone jack is inferior?

When I tried the other phone outlet in the same room everything worked fine which made me feel good and embarrased that I wasted a lot of time thinking it was the console that was the culprit.  I just wanted to pass on this knowledge as a newbie learning more each day about X10 and my home ;-)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »

Could be the phone jack installed by the homeowner has the two sides of the line (called tip & ring) that is the calling path (the other two wires are ground and AC power for lights (lighted dials,etc) reversed. The traditional colors used by Ma Bell were red & green for tip & ring and yellow for ground and black for power. Tip & ring get their names fron the their positions on the old manual switchboard  jacks: tip was the very end of the jack, followed by an insulating section followed by a metal riing - that was where the talking path was carried.

If you reverse tip and ring on a Touch-Tone  line, the phone connected to cannot dial out (break dial tone in telephone term), but can answer and talk.

Try taking the cover off the jack and try reversing the wires.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

jeffdharlan

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »

Could be the phone jack installed by the homeowner has the two sides of the line (called tip & ring) that is the calling path (the other two wires are ground and AC power for lights (lighted dials,etc) reversed. The traditional colors used by Ma Bell were red & green for tip & ring and yellow for ground and black for power. Tip & ring get their names fron the their positions on the old manual switchboard  jacks: tip was the very end of the jack, followed by an insulating section followed by a metal riing - that was where the talking path was carried.

If you reverse tip and ring on a Touch-Tone  line, the phone connected to cannot dial out (break dial tone in telephone term), but can answer and talk.

Try taking the cover off the jack and try reversing the wires.

If these are reversed, wouldn't I have noticed when I used a phone and called out?  I am able to call out and receive calls with a telephone on this malfunctioning line.  I will check nonetheless and see if that is the issue.  Thanks for that information, Dan!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »

Dan that is news to me. I have Touchtone phones working 100% fine with reversed tip and ring.
Some areas may use tip and ring to differentiate phones so your findings may also be 100% for your experiences.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »

A late friend of mine who owned his business used the reverse tip and ring trick to keep employees in the printing shop (on another floor of the building) from making outgoing calls. Since every phone on the PBX was a touch-tone one, he reversed tip and ring on those phones and it worked. They could receive calls, but could not make outgoing calls.

Certain phones at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum are set up the same way, with a neat twist. There are 3 lines available and most phones can address 2 of the 3 lines. All phones are equipped with buttons to address certainlines. Most cannot make outgoing calls, but certain phones have a drum key switch to make the phone make outgoing calls.  When you run a business, you want to restrict outgoing calls, as on business lines, you pay for both incoming and outgoing calls.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 06:41:23 AM »

Thanks Dan good to know that fact.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.