Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Technical Info on old BSR light switch modules  (Read 3308 times)

rodskid

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Technical Info on old BSR light switch modules
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »

I've got a couple of old BSR X10-014701 "Remote Wall Light" switches.  They appear to work fine EXCEPT here in the winter they tend turn on by themselves or only dim down when programmed to turn off (1st one I installed dimmed, the one I replaced it with randomly turns on).  I suspect it has to do with the current sensing circuitry.  The problem switch controls a branch circuit that consists of 2 outside lamp posts and several outlets on the front of the house.  Christmas lights caused the dimming but now that we're down to just the lamp posts and 2 other decorative lights they randomly pop on during the day or night (turn off fine).  Seems to happen when it's breezy and the snow/rain is blowing around.  Anyway...the mods I've looked at for the newer switches/modules don't look much like what's in these animals so does anyone know where there might be some info on the old stuff?  My electronics knowledge is between novice and "dang I should have known better than to touch that!" (read schematics with some comprehension, some knowledge of component function, and a desire to learn)

Thanks.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Technical Info on old BSR light switch modules
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »

I've got a couple of old BSR X10-014701 "Remote Wall Light" switches.  They appear to work fine EXCEPT here in the winter they tend turn on by themselves or only dim down when programmed to turn off (1st one I installed dimmed, the one I replaced it with randomly turns on).  I suspect it has to do with the current sensing circuitry.  The problem switch controls a branch circuit that consists of 2 outside lamp posts and several outlets on the front of the house.  Christmas lights caused the dimming but now that we're down to just the lamp posts and 2 other decorative lights they randomly pop on during the day or night (turn off fine).  Seems to happen when it's breezy and the snow/rain is blowing around.  Anyway...the mods I've looked at for the newer switches/modules don't look much like what's in these animals so does anyone know where there might be some info on the old stuff?  My electronics knowledge is between novice and "dang I should have known better than to touch that!" (read schematics with some comprehension, some knowledge of component function, and a desire to learn)

Thanks.

I've never had any personal experience with these old BSR units but I have had a similar experience with newer units under the same circumstances.  One possible cause of your problem is loose connections in the outside wiring. That is a connection that is normally complete but intermittently opens up in the wind. This happened to me and the problem went away when I found and tightened the loose connection.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

rodskid

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Technical Info on old BSR light switch modules
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:21:30 AM »

Thanks I'll check it out.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.