Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP and Firefly conflict - My switching workaround  (Read 8514 times)

Benquin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP and Firefly conflict - My switching workaround
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:36:42 PM »

I love my AHP but I also love my Firefly remote, but can't have both.
If my Firefly is working properly, AHP crashes on startup, If AHP is working properly, Firefly doesn't work at all.
Searching the forum I notice this is an old problem that never seem to get fixed.

My workaround only help me to switch "easily" from one mode to the other:

I created 3 shortcut, ActiveHomePro S/W installation, Snapstream.exe (FireFly drivers)  and LM remote Keymap (which I use for the remote control key mapping).

When I want to start AHP, I re-install the AHP software (The driver for the remote becomes X10 USB Wireless Transceiver (ACPI-compliant)) and AHP works flawlessly, but the remote is useless.

When I want to use my remote, I run snapstream.exe (The driver for the remote becomes Snapstream Firefly), I then run LM remote Keymap, close it and open it back and my remote works great, but AHP crashes if I try to run it.

I tried changing the driver in the Device Manager but it doesn't change anything. (AHP still work even if I change the driver to Snapstream Firefly and it's the same the other way around)

A fix within AHP would really be appreciated!

Claude

billfelt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: AHP and Firefly conflict - My switching workaround
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:29:13 PM »

I have found the solution that works for me.  The problem is that both devices use the same service called "x10nets", but they point to different executables.  ActiveHome Pro (my version is 3.204) does a nice thing.  They use the registry to look up what the service name is.  This gives us the advantange because we can change the name of the ActiveHome x10nets service and it's pointer.  Then the FireFly can use the old service name.  I don't know what will happen with an ActiveHome update.  It might change the name back and destroy what we did.

Here is what I did:
1) Uninstall the Firefly software and reinstall ActiveHome (if it is not working). 
2) Close up ActiveHome Pro.
3) Stop the service by click on Start, Run, and type in "net stop x10nets" (without the quotes) and click on OK.
4) Click on Start, Run, and type in "regedit".  This will allow us to edit the registry.

Please be careful while in the registry.  You make these changes at your own risk and by continuing the instructions, you are agreeing not to hold me accountable for any problems that may be caused.

Browse to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{001000AF-5DEF-0100-10B6-DC5BA692C858}
and change both (Default) and LocalService from x10nets to x10nets2

Do the same for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{001000AF-5DEF-0100-10B6-DC5BA692C858}
and change both (Default) and LocalService from x10nets to x10nets2

Again for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_X10NETS\0000
and change Service from x10nets to x10nets2

and again for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_X10NETS\0000\Control
and change ActiveService x10nets to x10nets2

for this last one go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
and expand the file list on the left.  Scroll down until you get to the folder called x10nets.  Right click on that folder and then select "Rename".  Now you can change the name from x10nets to x10nets2.

Close up the registry and restart the computer (yes....you must restart because the service name has changed!).

Once this is done, open up ActiveHome and run a few switches and macroes to make sure it still works. 
IF it does, then feel free install your FireFly software and enjoy both worlds together.  I get the newest drivers from  http://www.snapstream.com/download/firefly/ .

IF ActiveHome does not work, check the registry keys above to make sure they were changed or Reinstall ActiveHome to its defaults because it won't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.