Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DST in 2007 - why there must be an update to AHP  (Read 18908 times)

Outer Marker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
DST in 2007 - why there must be an update to AHP
« on: February 08, 2007, 12:41:55 AM »

Hi all,

I have the AHP USB interface and tested for 2007 DST compliance. It failed. The update to Windows simply changes the dates at which DST will begin and end WITHIN WINDOWS. Great, now the PC knows how to be in compliance. The issue lies with the 95% of us that do not keep the interface permanently plugged in to the PC. If you keep the PC plugged in at all times, sure the interface internal clock will remain in sync.

However, if you are like me, and only hook up to the interface to update timers, macros, and the like, you rely on the interface firmware to correctly make the switch to DST and back again. Again, hooking up via USB, downloading timers, and expecting the interface to somehow magically know that DST start and end dates have changed in 2007 IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that you potentially will have 4 mishaps this year:

March 2007, DST starts in the USA. Your interface doesn't know, and your lights come on 1 hour late
April 2007, The interface THINKS DST has begun (old rules) and your lights are off time again!
October 2007, the interface thinks DST has ended (old rules) and your lights are off time.
November 2007, DST ends in the USA. Your interface doesn't know, and your lights come on 1 hour early!

I ran a full test this evening, and confirmed the above observations. 4 weekends of clock resets? No thank you!  :o

We need an update to the internal logic of the interface (firmware?) In fact, it would be nice if we could specify when DST starts and ends, because Congress is under no obligation to extend the new rules beyond the trial period.

an X-10 response would be appreciated. We have a little more than 30 days to get this resolved!

Thanks to all!

-- Outer Marker.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: DST in 2007 - why there must be an update to AHP
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 07:01:42 AM »

Thank you for the tests and results.
Hope X10 is listening.
I believe the firmware is burned into the controller chip and can not be reflashed in the field; but I would gladly be proved incorrect.  ::)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:20:33 AM »

I believe the firmware is burned into the controller chip and can not be reflashed in the field; but I would gladly be proved incorrect.  ::)

O.T.P. (One Time Programmable)... Sorry Brian, unfortunately no one can prove you wrong here.  ;)

And, at least from what I witnessed during a test last fall, the CM15A's firmware doesn't alter the time (DST) automatically; it updates/changes when it's connected to a PC.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:21:15 PM »

I kind of remember that you download the location data to the CM15A. So maybe all that is needed is a updated database.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 12:35:22 PM »

I remember seeing the whole dusk/dawn chart in the data dump of what gets downloaded to the CM15A.
If they release an update for AHP, they should be able to modity the data that gets sent to the CM15A, and make it work just fine.
However, it doesn't seem like they are paying attention anymore.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »

I just got off the phone with Tech Support at X10.
I asked when there will be an update to fix DST, and she had to put me on hold to ask one of the engineers. She came back on the line, and told me that when Windows changes the clock on my Pc, it will update the CM15A.
I tried explaining to her, several times, that the information she gave did not answer my question.
I understand taht the CM15A will grab the current time from the Pc, but it won't change the calculation for the Dawn and Dusk timers.
She told me she would have the engineer e-mail me.
I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »

Here's an update:
I checked both of my systems at home, which are running AHP.
I went into the Hardware configuration in AHP, and checked the Dusk/Dawn table.
One of them showed the switch taking place on the CORRECT dates (March/November). The other one didn't show ANY transition. I think that the DST settings were messed up on the PC itself.
I re-installed the Ms update for XP to fix the DST dates, and then checked AHP again (after closing and re-opening of course). The transition takes place on the correct day now!
I was really shocked, as I hadn't seen this before, and I was so sure that MS had patched XP a while back for this change.
I will, of course, keep an eye on it, and report back in I hear back from X10.

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 07:15:45 PM »

Hi everyone! This is Michael Cole. I used to be "X10 Pro" on these boards before leaving X10 last July.

I'm fairly certain you won't need an update to AHP or the CM15A firmware in order for the changes in the daylights savings dates to take effect. You will need to update Windows to use the new dates, and after that connect the CM15A to the PC and re-download your timers and macros.

I'm pretty sure that start and stop dates for Daylight Savings Time are downloaded into the CM15A as part of the normal data set. Any of you can verify this by looking at the ahpeeprom_w.txt file on your computer -- it should be in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Active Home Professional\ if you are using Windows XP.

This file has lots of good information in it about the data stored in your interface, and I'm always surprised that it doesn't get mentioned much here. If I'm wrong about this I'm sorry -- I'm doing this all from memory and I'm a little rusty.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »

Yesterday I looked at my Hardware Interface Configuration table within AHP and the times were not updated for DST 2007.  I then downloaded the Microsoft Patch for DST 2007.  I went back and looked at the Hardware Interface Configuration table again and now the times were updated for DST 2007.  Anyway, it worked for me.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 10:44:37 AM »

Michael -
It is so wonderful to hear from you! I think I can speak for everyone on these forums, and say that we really miss you. The forums haven't had an X10 presence since you left. Please don't be a stranger. Even though you can't give us any "official" answers anymore, your input would still be of great value to the rest of us in the X10 user community. Thanks for everything you've done for us over the years.

--Noam

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 02:28:17 PM »

Hi everyone! This is Michael Cole. I used to be "X10 Pro" on these boards before leaving X10 last July.

I'm fairly certain you won't need an update to AHP or the CM15A firmware in order for the changes in the daylights savings dates to take effect. You will need to update Windows to use the new dates, and after that connect the CM15A to the PC and re-download your timers and macros.

I'm pretty sure that start and stop dates for Daylight Savings Time are downloaded into the CM15A as part of the normal data set. Any of you can verify this by looking at the ahpeeprom_w.txt file on your computer -- it should be in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Active Home Professional\ if you are using Windows XP.

This file has lots of good information in it about the data stored in your interface, and I'm always surprised that it doesn't get mentioned much here. If I'm wrong about this I'm sorry -- I'm doing this all from memory and I'm a little rusty.

I just checked my ahpeeprom_w.txt file, and here's the lines from it concerning DST: "0x0004:   0x02   00000010   dusk/dawn resolution: each entry represents 2 day(s)
0x0005:   0x01   00000001   b7: day msb; daylight savings turn forward - first Su
0x0006:   0x5b   01011011   after day  91 (01-apr)
0x0007:   0x81   10000001   b7: day msb; daylight savings turn backward - first Su
0x0008:   0x2a   00101010   after day 298 (25-oct)

My Hardware Configuration shows the DST dates as March 11 for begin DST and November 4 for end DST.

So, what's right?  What's there or what's in the CM15A's eeprom?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 02:38:41 PM »

When did you last download to the interface? The ahpeeprom file is created at the time you download, so if you haven't downloaded since doing the update to XP I wouldn't expect the dates to be the new DST dates.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 05:04:05 PM »

2:15 PM EST today.

I have the Microsoft DST path for WindowsXP applied, and My CM15A is plugged into the PC's USB port 24/7.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 06:48:29 PM »

Just a reminder.

If you have the Microsoft DST patch applied, check your Hardware Configuration in AHP. It should show a sunrise/sunset time change for DST on the new (3/11) date and the Standard Time return on 11/03.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 02:45:59 PM »

Michael -
It is so wonderful to hear from you! I think I can speak for everyone on these forums, and say that we really miss you. The forums haven't had an X10 presence since you left. Please don't be a stranger. Even though you can't give us any "official" answers anymore, your input would still be of great value to the rest of us in the X10 user community. Thanks for everything you've done for us over the years.

"Really miss you", is an understatement!

Not only here at these forums, but also has a technical and beta-test contact within X10.

It just isn't the same anymore.   :'(
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.