Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need help for a simple ceiling light setup  (Read 3291 times)

Hawaiiduo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I need help for a simple ceiling light setup
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:24:56 AM »

I want to remove my ceiling fan and install a track light or fluorescent light.  My ceiling fan's switch is on the fan. I need to connect my track light wires to a module and a remote control on the wall.  Any x10 items I can use to do this?

The modules for lights I have found so far have plugs and not wires for connecting to a ceiling light.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: I need help for a simple ceiling light setup
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:59:33 AM »

Any dimming type module may not work well with a fluorescent light or any type run by a power supply or low voltage transformer. The ones wit a switch in them that are made for that type light should work.
X10Pro makes a module that mounts inside the fixture or electrical box. The Relay Switch type is the XPFM, dimmer type XPDF for incandescent lights.
There are a few ways to do the control. Do you think a RF remote or wired in controller would be best?

Hawaiiduo

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »

Thanks a lot for the information.  I thought the XPFM was for appliance only but reading over the product details again I guess both XPFM and XPDF
will work.  The light will be too high so I will need to put in a wireless remote, RF remote.  Which model should I use?  Would HR12A and SS13A work with XPFM and XPDF?  Thanks

BTW  I have 4 ceiling fans in 4 rooms next to each other.  I hope the remote will not turn on all 4 lights.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »

Both the SS13A and HR12A use an RF signal to a transceiver. So if you go RF Remote you would need a RR501; TM751 or if a full automation setup is in the future a CM15A.
Both the RR501 and TM751 have a appliance relay in it also so it can also control a device connected to it.
TM751 has no powerline receiver and is hare set to Unit Code 1.
RR501 has a powerline receiver and can be controlled by a powerline controller or an Rf remote and can be set to Unit 1 or Unit 9.
You have to pick a House Code A-P and then a Unit Code. All the modules should be on a single House Code but each can have a different Unit Code so each could be controlled by a different button.
So you could control each individually.

Both RR501 and TM751 as mentioned have an appliance relay in it and if you don't like a fairly loud Clunk of the real. Don't use the transceivers relay address. TM751 House Code+ Unit 1. RR501 House Code +Unit 1 or 9 [depends on the front panel switch setting for unit code].

Hawaiiduo

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 06:35:18 PM »

Thanks again for your help.  I am a little confused now; did you mean that I can not use remote switches if I use XPFM or XPDF  modules and that to use  remote switches I have to use either TM751 or RR501?  I thought both TM751 and RR501 don't have wires to connect to a ceiling light like XPFM  or XPDF.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 07:05:31 AM »

To clarify. The fixture modules use a powerline control signal. Both the HR12A and SS13A use an RF signal. That signal has to be converted to a powerline signal. So you need a TM751 or RR501 to convert the HR12A SS13A signal to one that the fixture modules can use.
So if you use the HR12A or SS13A add a TM751 or RR501 to the list of needed parts so you can control the fixture modules.

Hawaiiduo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »

Thanks!!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 04:13:16 PM »

Another way to go. Would be a tabletop controller connected to a wall outlet. MiniController or MaxiController are two models. They send directly to the powerline.

Hawaiiduo

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 11:06:21 PM »

I finally understand power line and RF signals and how they can work together.  Thanks for your patience.  John

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.