Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to test...CM15A...  (Read 5281 times)

ChiTriGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
How to test...CM15A...
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:49:11 PM »

Hi Everyone -

I have been using X10 for a couple of years now on a Win98 box with varying ranges of success.  I'm pretty technical so I have been able to make do with a lot of trial and error and you helpful folks on Forums and the Internet (sorry X10 but your support has been less than helpful).  Regardless, I'm not here to bash anyone, I just need to get up and running again.

My Win98 box just died.  I have reinstalled everything to my Win2003 Server and it sees all the X10 hardware as installed.  I reinstalled AHP and this sees the CM15A and I am able to upload timers, etc.  If I go into the software and turn on an appliance module A1, nothing happens (the light doesn't turn on), nothing, nada.  I have called X10 and the technician had no answer, "I'm stumped.  It sounds like everything should be working right."  The activity monitor shows that the request is being sent out but nothing.  Is there an external way that I can view over the wire that the CM15A is, in fact, sending out the signal (kind of like a network sniffer)?  Basically, I am trying to find out whether there is a software problem or a hardware problem.  This isn't an RF problem so I'm a little at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this.  Could the windows firewall or virus protection be blowing something up?

Thanks much for any helpful suggestions.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: How to test...CM15A...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »

Is the Win2003 PC & the CM15A plugged into the same locations as your previous setup?

If so, is your PC plugged into an X10 filter? If not, my first suspicion is the electrical noise from the Win2003 PC.

If the CM15A is now plugged into a different outlet, then you could have a signal path integrity issue.

ChiTriGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »

It's plugged into the same outlet. I tried plugging the CM15A into a different outlet to no avail. I'm a little at a loss.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:50:21 AM »

Is there an X10 type filter on the computer and are you using a surge strip?
The new computers power supply could be making noise or sucking up the X10 signals.
Some surge strips can also suck up X10 signals and you should not have the CM15 on a filtered surge strip.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »

...just a thought... Can you change a FLAG?  If you have a simple macro that SETS FLAG#1=SET (ON) - when you look at status, is it on?

If you have a macro that also flips A1-ON, does the A1 module in AHP flip ON?

Are the actual A1 module AND the CM15 plugged into the same outlet?

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

ChiTriGuy

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »

I will try setting the macro.  The module is not plugged into the same outlet.

I am beginning to think the CM15A must just be busted but I hate to buy a new one and find out it was something that I could have fixed.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:28 PM »

I'd first plug both into the same outlet.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.