Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wired or wireless, which is better?  (Read 40926 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Wired or wireless, which is better?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 03:25:29 AM »

Here is a link to the Astak cam you can get online for $59
The viewing area is slightly greater then the regular X10 cams but not the wide eyes!
I find the color a little washed out in bright daylight and non existent at night but the picture Quality is excellent! If you need a large viewing area I suggest getting a Ninja pan and tilt base and install which ever cam you get to that! ;) You'll be amazed at the coverage!

SAY Tuice gota give ya a point for that one! say you got any of these whats the picture like at night??  not really interested in the color at night  just having a sharp image for prosecution ;D think I'll just put my x10 stuff on eBay and get something decent, hay guys if you hit the lotto check this system out had a DVD recorder to boot.

Tom j

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1400

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1401

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:44:42 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »

Say guys thinking about dumping my x10 stuff except the two wireless cameras I have I'll keep them just as a backup, actually I can get a sharper picture from the wireless ones then the wired, say guys give me a hand and help me decide on this system, what do you think about this wired system I found seems like it has almost everything. Check out the remote nit even has zoom and the reviews rate it almost 4 stars!!

Tom j

http://www.amazon.com/SVAT-CVQ1000-Security-Nightvision-Cameras/dp/B000GIP90M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1092921-8231253?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185311613&sr=1-1

Motion Detection feature sounds alarm (when turned on)
Quad screen modes let you see multiple locations at the same time
Remote control access for channels and audio
Manual and automatic switching of camera views
Easily connects to a TV, VCR, computer or DVR for recording
›  See more technical details

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 06:00:29 PM »

what do you think about this wired system I found seems like it has almost everything. Check out the remote nit even has zoom and the reviews rate it almost 4 stars!!

Tom j

The price is right! I have cameras [other than] X10 mixed into my system. It makes it a little harder to configure the system.... I use appliance modules to switch non-X10 cameras on and off. No one camera (that I know of) is perfect for every application, so a mix can provide more benefits than problems.

If all things were equal (and they never are) and I was to replace my camera system (and someday, I will) I would use more X10 cameras and only ONE long-range ultra-bright IR camera.

The reasons: The X10 cameras are tough, reliable, inexpensive, and very easy to intergrate into my X10 HA system. The extra hassles of (of intergrating) a super IR cam, would be worth it.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 01:07:43 AM »

what do you think about this wired system I found seems like it has almost everything. Check out the remote nit even has zoom and the reviews rate it almost 4 stars!!

Tom j

The price is right! I have cameras [other than] X10 mixed into my system. It makes it a little harder to configure the system.... I use appliance modules to switch non-X10 cameras on and off. No one camera (that I know of) is perfect for every application, so a mix can provide more benefits than problems.

If all things were equal (and they never are) and I was to replace my camera system (and someday, I will) I would use more X10 cameras and only ONE long-range ultra-bright IR camera.

The reasons: The X10 cameras are tough, reliable, inexpensive, and very easy to intergrate into my X10 HA system. The extra hassles of (of intergrating) a super IR cam, would be worth it.

Hi ya Dave! Only thing about the x10 wired stuff and I agree concerning the price and integration is that I'm not happy with the picture quality any more you can't at least in my case see enough detail in the faces, I want something sharp enough for prosecution if necessary. I seem to get more distortion, lines running through the picture on my wired ones then my wireless go figure. Really like the SVAT it has features galore. Check out the link below if you get a chance and tell me what you think.

Tom j

http://www.svat.com/productDisplay.php?id=185&categoryNumber=2

http://www.svat.com/downloads/manuals/cvq1000-manual.pdf

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 06:37:03 PM »

tom j: sorry for  the slow reply!
I was on holidays at the log home and just got Sunday 22 had over 10 pages of posts to got threw ::)
Anyways I believe pics speak volumes so: I mounted a low light B&W X10 cam on a ninja and and Astak directly over top on another ninja upside down, lenses are inches apart! Took two pics at 6:20pm facing west. I set a beer bottle on the end of the bench distance from cams is just over 12 feet, the cams are 9ft above the deck.
I'll take another two pics once it gets darker and post them ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:51:42 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 09:11:04 PM »

Ok 9:00 pm and solar lights just came on ;)
I placed a live trap box in front of the bench! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 09:37:42 PM »

I was going to wait till 10:00 pm but the B&W low light is near dead at 9:30 pm ;)
Hope this helps!
Only light on is the solar light, No porch light!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:40:33 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 10:16:09 PM »

Tuicemen,

WOW!   :o   ;D   8)

That was a great idea for setting up the two cameras together, bet it took some work too!

Makes the differences quite obvious.

I for one clicked you a helpful.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:17:44 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Boiler

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »

Tuicemen,
Time lapse photography - I love it. Nice touch with the trap box (and beer bottle).

After trying the X10 cams a while back, I was convinced I wasn't interested cameras altogether. 

You're changing my mind with this.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:02:36 PM by Boiler »

HA Dave

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 10:41:50 PM »

Great job Tuicemen! As another owner of the Astak IR, as well as X10 cameras, thats pretty much the results I would have expected.

kmcgillycuddy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 01:27:04 AM »

I just wanted to make sure I have your orientation correct.  The Astek camera are the top images that appear more clear?  Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

HA Dave

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »

I just wanted to make sure I have your orientation correct.  The Astek camera are the top images that appear more clear?  Is this correct?

Kevin...I don't mean to answer for Tuicemen... but you can always tell IR cams (day or night)..... YES the Astek pics are on TOP (in all the pictures). The way you can tell an IR cam is during the day... the grass (and other objects) will look bleached. In the DARK they will still produce a picture.... because they provide their own light.

Tuicemen's pictures are excellent! And I found them a very HELPFUL.

Only light on is the solar light, No porch light!

Note that Tuicemen did point out that the porch light isn't on.

The Astek cam doesn't produce a bad image with an exterior light on (I have two different IR cams and both work well with floodlights ON). However the X10 cams image is GREATLY improved with the addition of light. While my IR cams once again retain that bleached appearance when additional exterior light is added.

There is NO one camera fits all... solution (IMHO). If you want to see [what is happening] in the dark... you need an IR camera. If it's dark around your home... you need floodlights. If you want a surveillance system, that is easily intergraded into a whole system, that would be X10. Mixing other cams into the system adds extra benifits, and can be done but at additional expense and hassle (I did say IMHO... right?).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 10:18:42 AM »

kmcgillycuddy   Yes the Astec cam pics are those on the top!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

zach1234

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 03:34:46 PM »

Wired
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.