Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DST work for you?  (Read 16387 times)

Outer Marker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
DST work for you?
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »

I was wondering if the shift to DST went well for the rest of you. Some of you will remember my earlier post in which I presented an argument as to why I thought a firmware update was in order: http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=11694.0

Thank you to all of you who responded to my previous post. It seems that the majority of you looked at the Dusk/Dawn table and assumed that would tell us when the INTERFACE would change its internal clock. WRONG! The Dusk/Dawn table simply displays the calculated Dusk/Dawn times ADJUSTED FOR TIME IN YOUR REGION!!! That's why the Dusk/Dawn table changed after the Windows DST update. Simply put, the Dusk/Dawn table is regionalized based on your PC operating system settings.

However, that was not the crux of my argument. My point was that up until now, the interface changed its internal clock according to DST rules. I never had to keep my PC plugged into it and I never had to update the time manually. My interface is located in my attic where I get awesome RF reception all over the house and yard. I have to take a laptop up to the attic now to change time in accordance with the new DST rules. Not just twice a year, but 4 times a year.

So, long story short. I have Windows XP Professional. It has been patched with the Microsoft DST update since February 25th, 2007. The last update to the timers in the interface was March 3rd, 2007. Today I watched in complete dismay as ALL my macros, timers, and events were late. When I took the laptop up to the attic and connected to the interface, I noticed the interface time was off by an hour per my reasoning. A few seconds later I saw it update itself to match the time on my PC. Aha! Caught you! The interface still updates its internal clock according to old DST rules. I usually love it when I'm right. In this case, I was really hoping I was wrong.  ;D

I can't wait for April when the interface puts its internal clock forward an hour, thinking DST has begun.  :o

whsbuss

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: DST work for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:06:40 AM »

I wasn't home last evening to see when the timers fired off their evening commands. I will check tonight. Maybe others will chime in.

DBS

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:26:25 AM »

I have a similar setup and the same thing happened to me. My controller is not connected to any computer and runs stand-alone. I updated it about a week ago with my patched Windows XP Pro with SP2 and the new Windows DST update. My controller was off by an hour this Sunday which means it did not do any DST time change. I had to connect it to my computer and update it again in order to get the now current time settings installed.

I can understand the problem when the units are stand-alone. People with these units connected to their computers at all times will probably not see any problem.

I am not looking forward to having to reset the controller 4 times a year.

whsbuss

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »

I too run in stand-alone mode and it looks like its working correctly without having to re-connect the PC. I have my evening timer set for 25 minutes before dusk (7:04 pm today) and it should work at 6:42 pm. I'll update later when the time reaches 6:42 pm.

whsbuss

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »

I too run in stand-alone mode and it looks like its working correctly without having to re-connect the PC. I have my evening timer set for 25 minutes before dusk (7:04 pm today) and it should work at 6:42 pm. I'll update later when the time reaches 6:42 pm.

Well it did not work. I just downloaded the timers again. But I won't know it works till Wednesday..... I'm out tomorrow evening.
Has ayone contacted X10 to tell them the new DST times don't work even with the XP DST patch?

whsbuss

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »

I shot off a support request w/X10.com

We'll see if I get any reply.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:21:25 PM »

All my timers work perfectly since DST went into effect on Sunday at 2:00 AM.   Evening timers come on 25 minutes before dusk, and on Sunday evening, dusk was an hour later than Saturdays.  The timers ran at the appointed times, 25 minutes before dusk.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Outer Marker

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »

Thanks to all of you for the responses. It does indeed look like standalone setups have little recourse for proper DST adjustments. I'd love to see X10 support respond with a solution to this. I could almost be okay with having to update the interface time twice a year... heck I do it with the microwave and VCR clocks. However, 4 times per year is just a little bit of a chafe.

Here's wishing for some good news...  8)

whsbuss

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 07:17:03 AM »

All my timers work perfectly since DST went into effect on Sunday at 2:00 AM.   Evening timers come on 25 minutes before dusk, and on Sunday evening, dusk was an hour later than Saturdays.  The timers ran at the appointed times, 25 minutes before dusk.

Yes Dan. It does work correctly, but not in stand alone mode. You have you update the interface before it work properly.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 07:50:43 PM »

Yes Dan. It does work correctly, but not in stand alone mode. You have you update the interface before it work properly.

Which I did.  MichaelC (who was X10Pro at one time, and left the company) posted exactly that in another thread on the DST change (there are at least 4).
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Outer Marker

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 10:22:21 PM »

Nobody, MichaelC included, has been able to tell this forum, or anyone else, how to avoid having to update your interface 4 times a year due to DST logic. The plain and simple truth is that the new DST legislation has rendered the DST logic in the interface obsolete. The only way to keep the internal clock up to date now is to keep the interface plugged into a properly DST-updated PC.

Once we can all accept this, maybe we can get to work on the firmware update.

It may interest you all to know that Honeywell shipped me a new HVAC thermostat this week. My thermostat is programmable, and the new DST rules meant that the thermostat's time is now offset. Since my thermostat was under warranty, Honeywell sent me a new one and even arranged for a local installer to put it in for me. Now that's service!

I'd be happy with a download from X10.

Sigh.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 06:44:01 AM »

The firmware is burned into the controller chip and can not be reflashed. So if you have a unit with a soldered in controller you need a new one. If you have one with a controller chip in a socket. You need a new chip and someone with enough electronic experience to install it and not kill it with static discharges.
This may not be the case if the newer units [mine are older] are not like mine are.
I even got a 2007 Calendar and the DST was shown in the old places  ::) Talk about out of touch.
My VCRs and an older Smarthome X10 controller also didn't fair well with the new DST. Thank the government for telling us what is best.  ::) ::)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 09:29:51 AM »

It may interest you all to know that Honeywell shipped me a new HVAC thermostat this week. My thermostat is programmable, and the new DST rules meant that the thermostat's time is now offset. Since my thermostat was under warranty, Honeywell sent me a new one and even arranged for a local installer to put it in for me. Now that's service!

OuterMarker -
This is somewhat off-topic, but how did you get Honeywell to replace the thermostat? Mine is also under warranty, and I called them about it. They told me that I have to contact the place I bought it from, and that the warranty is through them, not through Honeywell. I bought it online, so I'd have to go back and try to find the name of the place, and hope they are still in business. I have no problem installing it myself (I don't need an installer for that part), but it would be nice to have the DST feature working on it (For now, I just turned it off, so I'll set the time manually twice a year).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 09:52:18 AM by Noam »

Outer Marker

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 10:21:40 AM »

Hey Noam,

The Honeywell thermostat is a VisionPro 8000. It was installed in January through a local HVAC installer as part of a complete heat pump system. The installer submitted all the paperwork for me... product registration and all. I was kind of surprised when the new thermostat showed up automatically on my doorstep. I didn't order it, I was just thinking I was going to have to do the same as you. Then the local installer called me the next day to see if it had arrived and when they could come install it. I'm not sure how one might proceed if the thermostat was purchased online. Surely Honeywell would honor the warranty?

Sorry I couldn't help more.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.