Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FLAGS BASICS  (Read 39522 times)

marty619

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
FLAGS BASICS
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:52:41 AM »

I am having trouble with the use of flags and need to know if there are different sets of flags for each HC. I see references to flag A1 etc which would imply there might be a flag B1. Does anyone know the answer to this? At the moment my use of flags is not working properly.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: FLAGS BASICS
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 01:04:07 PM »

Speaking basically there are 16 Flags:

• You should stay away from Flags 15 and 16 because they can be set by AHP with dusk and dawn.

• This leaves 14 Flags for use with all the HouseCodes.

(I also stay away from Flag 1 but can't give you any logical reason why.)*

• Since the Status of all of the Modules assigned to ONE HouseCode can be monitored by AHP, you can use Dummy Modules as Flags and have up to 32 (30) Flags by testing for ON or OFF Status.

(I find this to be a more confusing approach myself but some have said it is more reliable than the conventional Flags. I believe there are examples of both here if you SEARCH the forum.)

Perhaps someone can share an example or LINK if you don't find any good examples in your search.

Once you get the hang of Flags, they will add a lot of power and control to your Macros.

Post an idea of how you're trying to use the Flags and someone may be able to figure out what is wrong.

*Now I remember why I don't use flag 1. It's because I've reserved it for my test macro. i.e. I already am using it.  :-[

[TTA Edit: Formatted for improved readability and future use as a reference LINK.]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:24:09 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »

As steven r stated, there are 16 Status Flags. These Status Flags do not have a House Code association.

In your Hardware Configuration, you can select ONE (and only one) House Code to be the Monitored HouseCode which can be used for Macro Conditions.

Have a look through Tuicemen's Having X10 AHP Problems? Please Read This First! post... there are some links which should help you understand Status Flags & Monitored House Code.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:49:25 AM by TakeTheActive »

marty619

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »

I just worked around my problem and want to let folks know that I was unsucessful in getting boolean decisions made on flags (in my case Flag 1 and 2). I had 3 macros triggered by B16ON (sent by my motion detector) and wanted to take 3 different actions depending upon the time of day. Dawn: Flag1 clear, Flag 2 clear , Dusk: Flag1 clear, Flag 2 set, and midnight: Flag1 set, Flag 2 set. These are each unique conditions, but when used to try to discriminate which macro should run there was total chaos.

My first workaround was to use 2 phantom modules (switches) as the flags, and again, checking module status instead of flag status gave the same result.

The latest sucessfull workaround uses 3 Phantom modules, each time mark sets the approriate switch on and switches the other two off.

I think there is a bug in the software to not allow what clearly they intended in the conditions sections where they provide for And/Or operations on the flags or modules.

I did not revist the use of Flags, and perhaps this technique will work with flags like it does for phantom modules.

One more comment: I find that it is good practice to end a macro with a phantom module "call", turning it either On or OFF. That way the pending address becomes a don't care. To clarify: I have experienced this:

MACRO 1: A1 ON, A2 ON    (Both Go on)        Activity log: A1, A2, AON
MACRO 2: A2 OFF              (A2 Goes OFF)      Activity log: A2, AOFF

MACRO 3: A7 ON                ( A7 Goes on, but unexpectedly A2 comes on as well, even though not instructed to do so)

The activity log shows a combined transmission A2, A7, AON
The A2 address from MACRO 2 seems to be left as the last iaddressed unit, and then incorrectly is used for the next MACRO.

Another bug that will drive you nuts. Perhaps the last issued address goes invalid after some interval, but I have been testing
by sending commands within 30 sec of each other and have been getting bad results until I put in a phantom at P1 at
the end of each MACRO.

I am using V 3.204

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »

Just to mention, from my experimenting with Flags, it appears that the default for the Flags is "set".  This is counterintuitive, at least to me.  I would have expected the default to be "reset". 

Therefore, I have to remember that every time I re-download to the CM15A, I have to run a macro which sets all the flags I use, to a zero (reset).

I really wish that AHP/CM15A had a flag status/set/reset window, like the AH2/CM14A has.  The AH2/CM14A also allows you to name the flag something, which helps one to remember its assigned purpose.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 03:25:26 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 02:11:35 PM »

Just to mention, from my experimenting with Flags, it appears that the default for the Flags is "set".  This is counterintuitive, at least to me.  I would have expected the default to be "reset"....
Hmm.. I hadn't noticed that. I was pretty sure it was the clear. Thanks!

Ok. I just tried a download and my flag status wasn't changed. The set flags stayed set and the clear flags stayed cleared.
See if you can figure out why yours is acting strangely.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:28:25 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 07:32:20 AM »

Quote from: steven r
Ok. I just tried a download and my flag status wasn't changed. The set flags stayed set and the clear flags stayed cleared

This is also what I found.  ;)

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 08:04:04 AM »

Ok. I just tried a download and my flag status wasn't changed. The set flags stayed set and the clear flags stayed cleared.
See if you can figure out why yours is acting strangely.

Well, for me, all my flags are always SET, 100% of the time after I download, even when I verify they are clear before downloading.

If yours doesn't, I have no idea why.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:06:11 AM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »

Well, for me, all my flags are always SET, 100% of the time after I download, even when I verify they are clear before downloading.

Mine stay as they were after a download as well. The flags are stored in the micro-controller's internal RAM and the program gets loaded into an external EEPROM; this is probably why they did not change.

Walt2: If memory serves me right, I believe some time ago you mentioned you have one of the original diagnostic CM15As(?) If so, this could be the reason for the difference... maybe...

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 09:19:49 AM »

Quote from: Puck
If memory serves me right, I believe some time ago you mentioned you have one of the original diagnostic CM15As(?) If so, this could be the reason for the difference... maybe...

I also believe I have one of the original diagnostic CM15A's. Maybe they had several versions of these units   ??? ???
_ _ ...  ..._ _

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 09:34:03 AM »

I honestly am interested in why yours are getting set. If there is some kind of bug or anything that you are doing different from us, I (May I say we?) want to know what it is and avoid it. Do you just download or do you clear the memory first? (I just download.)

Mine stay as they were after a download as well. The flags are stored in the micro-controller's internal RAM and the program gets loaded into an external EEPROM; this is probably why they did not change.
Could Walt2 be having a problem with his AHP RAM?

Is anyone else having the same problem as Walt2?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:40:25 AM by steven r »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 11:50:06 AM »

Do you just download or do you clear the memory first? (I just download.)

Ah, yes.  I do a clear first. 

Old habit from beta-test days.  At least with the ol' CM14A, it sometimes would branch into what was suppose to be clear memory.  If you didn't clear first, that memory could, instead of being clear, have old timer/module code in it.

Though, interesting, that a memory clear would set, rather than clear, the flags.   ???

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »

Walt2: If memory serves me right, I believe some time ago you mentioned you have one of the original diagnostic CM15As(?) If so, this could be the reason for the difference... maybe...

Is there any way to tell the firmware version, possibly thru AHP?

All I have, is Michael's hand written version-by-date on the exterior of the CM15A.  I have no idea how that matches up with what is being shipped as the retail version.   BTW, what is the "final" retail version of firmware?   

Michael was suppose to send me a production version of the CM15A when beta testing ended, but that never happened.

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »

I really wish that AHP/CM15A had a flag status/set/reset window, like the AH2/CM14A has.  The AH2/CM14A also allows you to name the flag something, which helps one to remember its assigned purpose.

You might not have a flag status/set/reset window but you can check the status by clicking File in the AHP program, selecting Reports, and then selecting Status. Scroll down and you will see flag status.
If you want to be sure your flags work correctly always Clear at least the flag you intend to use, set the flag you intend to use with what ever sets it, and Clear it when you are finished using it.

Something else to remember is that you can't click on the macro in the room window with your mouse and expect the flag status being used as a condition for the macro to do what it is suppose to because it will not. But if you send the macro's trigger command from a remote or device it will respond correctly.

As for coming up correctly they can't be depended upon as their initial state is what is known as a floating state. They can float (HI or Set) or (Low or Clear) with 0-.5 Volts usually showing Clear and anything above .5 Volts showing Set.

You can also notice this floating condition if you take a look at your different rooms when you first bring up the AHP software. There will be switches and modules showing ON in all but one of the rooms that are actually physically OFF. To see this turn one of the devices OFF that indicates being ON then turn it on again you will see that the device actually comes on. The only room that will show accurate indication of devices status in that room will be the one that you choose as the monitored House Code.

I programed CNC Lathes and Mills. The FIRST thing put in the program are called initialization codes because you can not assume they will already be there. The failure to initialize one of those machines would be a lot more catastrophic than anything that would happen or not happen in AHP.

One final thought: An OUNCE of planning saves POUNDS of troubleshooting. -:)

halcali

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »

i just started using activehome (v3.236).   the flags button does not appear where it's supposed to based on screen shows i've seen (i've seen it under the delay button).   here's a screen shot of my macro screen - http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9130/activehome.jpg

is flags no longer apart of activehome?  or do i need to configure something for the flags button to appear?

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.