Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS10A DS7000 Motion Detector Serious Design Problem  (Read 14046 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
MS10A DS7000 Motion Detector Serious Design Problem
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:12:52 AM »

Hi guys I think I have identified a serious design problem with the MS10A and I'm looking for someone to help me verify it. I'm looking for someone that  has a DS7000 with a couple of motion detectors to help me possibly confirm what I believe is a serious design flaw with this motion detector. If you're trusting your home and valuables to this system this is something I think you're what to be made aware of! I just want to see if someone else can duplicate the same problem that I think I have idenified. Shouldn't take but a few minutes and doesn't required any modifications to your system. If this can be confirmed hopefully x10 can address the problem and correct it. Thanks

Tcj

olddiirtrider

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: MS10A DS7000 Motion Detector Serious Design Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »

What exactly is the problem you have identified? :)

x10marko

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 08:57:50 PM »

I'd be interested too.

:)

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 05:23:09 PM »

OK - We are all waiting!  What is it?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 11:45:53 PM »

The previous content of this post violated the posted X10 General Forum User Etiquette policy and has been removed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:33:10 AM by Tuicemen »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 12:33:53 AM »

The previous content of this post violated the posted X10 General Forum User Etiquette policy and has been removed.
I'm not sure we owe them the favor but have you emailed the poster?
Also if the poster is a web troll then the poster should be watched and blocked if the behavior continues.

On the other hand...
Since the poster has participated in several other discussions, I suspect he has forgotten or is no longer interested this topic. If that is the case it is unfair to X10 and the forum to leave the question hanging.

Email or not I vote with you to delete on July 24.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:34:28 AM by Tuicemen »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:09:12 AM »

I'm generous.  :) I'll give him until July 24.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »

Maybe he read the instructions (how novel).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 01:35:34 AM »

Sorry for the delay, I waited a couple of weeks and no one responded so I thought you guys were not interested and I just stopped checking. last time I checked I saw 72 hits and no one had yet responded. Ok this is what I found with the MS10A's I own. In the two movement mode it and this just applies to the ones I have. It appears to start counting the movements after the motion stops so if you run through a room like a burglar might do while moving through your home it would see that as only one movement and the senor wouldn't  pick you up!! Now this doesn't happen 100% of the time but enough that I'm concerned about it. I can't use the 1 movement mode because I get way to many false alarms so I have to use the 2 movement. One other thing I've discovered is that the only MS10A's that appear to function halfway reliably in the two step mode are the Pro versions had to send two units back three times before x10 replaced them with the Pro versions but if you dash through the room you can even fool them. looking for someone else to confirm this observation. Thanks

Tcj

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 09:41:26 AM »

Sorry for the delay, I waited a couple of weeks and no one responded so I thought you guys were not interested and I just stopped checking. last time I checked I saw 72 hits and no one had yet responded. Ok this is what I found with the MS10A's I own. In the two movement mode it and this just applies to the ones I have. It appears to start counting the movements after the motion stops so if you run through a room like a burglar might do while moving through your home it would see that as only one movement and the senor wouldn't  pick you up!! Now this doesn't happen 100% of the time but enough that I'm concerned about it. I can't use the 1 movement mode because I get way to many false alarms so I have to use the 2 movement. One other thing I've discovered is that the only MS10A's that appear to function halfway reliably in the two step mode are the Pro versions had to send two units back three times before x10 replaced them with the Pro versions but if you dash through the room you can even fool them. looking for someone else to confirm this observation. Thanks

Tcj

Why was it so important for Tom to get a quick reply back but then everyone abandoned this post?  Has anyone tested this?
What has your home done for you today?

LW

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 12:11:54 PM »

Hi Jeff,

I wasn't around yet when TomJ was writing about his MS10a problems. I hope that he and X10 were able to resolve them. At first my two new MS10a modules did not seem to work. I would set them on the shelf, try to set them off, and at first they would not go off. Rereading the manual, I discovered why: they are supposed to wait 45 seconds (I think that was the number) after motion detection before detecting and sending again. My putting them up on the shelf caused one motion detection that I did not think about, so of course they would not detect again for a time. After I realized this, I retested properly, and they worked fine. I do not suppose that this was TomJ's problem; I cannot comment there. All I can say is that mine have detected motion properly so far, and have given no false alarms. I hope this helps. Best wishes to you.

tgordo49

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »

I can't uunderstand why anyone would want to use them in 2-step or delayed-action mode. That seems so silly to me; you WANT a security system to respond right away, the first time, every time. The problem, then, is eliminating the false alarms in the first place! Figure out what is causing them & adjust placement/angle/masking to kill the false alarms.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.