Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DS7000 not dialing out  (Read 5919 times)

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
DS7000 not dialing out
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:55:20 AM »

The most important feature of X10: dialing the "trusted 4" phone numbers to alert others of your alarm. 

Problem:
None of the numbers (First two are our cell phones) successfully ring; my parents (live down the street) home phone did not ring

What I have done:
1. Programmed 4 unique numbers.
2. Checked that the phone wire is plugged in correctly.  The line goes directly into the console, not split with a phone sharing the same wire (line).
3. Checked the phone wire (line) with a phone to verify a dial tone, then plugged the same wire back into the console.
4. Set off alarm.
5. Waited 4 excruciating minutes for my cell and my fiancee's cell to ring.  Neither did.  The alarm shut off after about 4 minutes.

My guess:
Our cell phones require 1+XXX-XXX-XXXX to dial.  Is the 1 to dial long distance an issue?  I have free long distance with my landline phone service provider.

How long does it take for the dialing to start?  How many rings does it do before it tried the next number?  Why would this not be working?  Yes, more newbie woes from me  :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:00:43 AM by jeffdharlan »
What has your home done for you today?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: DS7000 not dialing out
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:03:51 AM »

My guess:
Our cell phones require 1+XXX-XXX-XXXX to dial.  Is the 1 to dial long distance an issue?  I have free long distance with my landline phone service provider.

You should only need to enter the basic 7 digits of your cell phone number: 123-4567
Assuming of course that your cell & home have the same area code.

Even when you are long distant, your cell provider's roaming service will still call your cell when dialed locally from your home area code (i.e. the DS7000 base).

4 minutes is a long time to wait (and listen to the siren)... it should call out the first number almost instantly.

jeffdharlan

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »

My guess:

You should only need to enter the basic 7 digits of your cell phone number: 123-4567
Assuming of course that your cell & home have the same area code.

Even when you are long distant, your cell provider's roaming service will still call your cell when dialed locally from your home area code (i.e. the DS7000 base).

4 minutes is a long time to wait (and listen to the siren)... it should call out the first number almost instantly.

Whenever I call my fiancee's cell from home I have to dial a 1.  We moved recently and the cell was purchased and set up "out of the area" nearly 40 miles away.  I believe, based on the message I get from my phone service provider, I still need to dial it like a long distance number.  But let's say you are correct...why wouldn't my parent's number ring?  If the dialer hit a phone service provider message of "You do not need to dial 1 to call this number" would it assume it has reached a target listener?  I did not use a 1 to dial long distance and my parents did not get a call.  I hope there is a simple resolution to this....again thanks for your input Puck!

How many rings does it take before it moves to the next number?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »

My guess is the DS7000 dialer is hanging on the first number. It is not detecting any rings and therefore can't move onto the next number.

For a test to verify it works, maybe put your parents number in first.

How many rings does it take before it moves to the next number?

I believe it is after 4 rings.

jeffdharlan

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »

I will try this tonight (or at the latest tomorrow night) and let you know the results.  Hopefully our cell phones can be contacted if the DS7000 is able to dial out.  I would rather be the first to investigate an alarm if you know what I mean.

jeffdharlan

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »

I will try this tonight (or at the latest tomorrow night) and let you know the results.  Hopefully our cell phones can be contacted if the DS7000 is able to dial out.  I would rather be the first to investigate an alarm if you know what I mean.

I tried the local number again and it didn't work.  I moved my console to a new power outlet and a new phone outlet and it DID work.  Not sure what made the difference, but moving the console allowed me to get the dialer to work and now the room that the lamp modules had that wouldn't operate DO now.  Two birds with one stone...thanks for the suggestions!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.