Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Legislative Upheaval For X-10  (Read 53016 times)

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
A Legislative Upheaval For X-10
« on: March 18, 2007, 02:57:04 PM »

Follow this URL to read a thought provoking article on what might be a death knell for a lot of X-10 products in the future if the Connecticut Legislature has its way.  Ironically it's in the name of energy efficiency which many of us have used X-10 to accomplish since the beginning.

http://www.sfpasc.com/x10/CTIncBulbBan.pdf

We need to look a lot more closely at integrating CFLs into our X-10 systems than we have so far!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:46:25 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: A Legislative Upheaval For X-10
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 03:23:23 PM »

We need to look a lot more closely at integrating CFLs into our X-10 systems than we have so far!

It is possible for CFLs and X10 to cohabitate.  The problem arises when the high-frequency chopper runs in the X10 band.  That can be dealt with by filters.  I wrote a tutorial on dealing with CFLs:

http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cfls.htm

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:07:31 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »

Jeff; How about the wall dimmers that steal power through the load?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »

Almost all of our ceiling CFLs are on Leviton 16293 relay switches that include the neutral connection for signal return.  The one CFL on a dimmer uses a Leviton 16383 that also has a neutral connection.

As described in the tutorial, I use Leviton 6287 in-line filters between the Leviton X10 switches and all CFL fixtures.  That filter would also block the X10 signal if used with a switch that passes the signal through the load.

There are certainly CFLs out there that do not cause a problem for X10.  While I haven't scoped one yet, the new n:vision CFLs sold by Home Depot work fine on a X10 lamp module just switched on/off.  However, my X10 signals are stronger than in an average house, so that might be a factor.

Jeff

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
A Legislative Upheaval For X-10 - Maybe
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 11:45:04 PM »

The Bill is in the Connecticut Legislature, but there's no guarantee it will pass. The standard light bulb lobby will most certainly try to block it. No other state has tried this.

I did check a couple of  the sites listed in Jeff's post and the dimmable CFLs top out at 75 watts of brightness and a steep cost -80 bucks for a six-pack plus shipping. Home Depot in Maryland does not carry them.  In order for dimmable CFL's to be a common item

I have standard CFLs in 5 Socket rockets and they work fine.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:50:22 AM »

The n:vision CFLs sold by Home Depot are not dimmable, but they are cheap:  $8 for a 4-pack of 60W equivalent.  They come in 3 color temperatures from sunlight to warm white, which is close to incandescent light.

We have a few old dimmable Philips Earthlights, which work well with ordinary lamp modules.  We bought them several years ago, and I recall they were pretty expensive.  One finally started to flicker, so I replaced it with one of these new n:vision bulbs.  The color temperature looks about the same.

There are listings on eBay for cheap dimmable compact fluorescents.  I haven't used any of them myself.  Perhaps some people here have, and could report on how well they work.

Virtually all our CFLs are used in simple on/off applications.  Most of our dimmable fixtures use the small decorative flame-shaped bulbs.  I wonder how the legislation will deal with them...

Jeff

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »

There are listings on eBay for cheap dimmable compact fluorescents.  I haven't used any of them myself.  Perhaps some people here have, and could report on how well they work.

Virtually all our CFLs are used in simple on/off applications. 

Jeff

I think that between using dimmable CFL's and simply using more lamps, and turning more or fewer on, to create different lighting effects, the problem becomes a non-problem. Sure things are going to change... but change is normal. I just ordered some LED bulbs, and can't wait to try them out.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:12:40 PM »

...There are listings on eBay for cheap dimmable compact fluorescents.  I haven't used any of them myself.  Perhaps some people here have, and could report on how well they work...

FYI:
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »

TTA:

Thanks for the detailed info.   Also I think your new avatar is great!  Nice piece of work.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »

Thanks for the detailed info...

I feel that it's a good practice to post references to similar discussions (when you remember them and can find them that is... :-X).

...Also I think your new avatar is great!  Nice piece of work.

It reminded me of the icon with the blinking CRTs in the Systray when the CM11A is communicating with AH. 8)

BTW, did you see these?

from my latest 'Shopping Spree'. ;)

And then, whenever you deviate from the norm, you have to put up with: This is your Mod on drugs, any questions?>:(

No volunteering to help - just sarcasm... :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:06:51 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 12:46:21 AM »

Almost all of our ceiling CFLs are on Leviton 16293 relay switches that include the neutral connection for signal return.  The one CFL on a dimmer uses a Leviton 16383 that also has a neutral connection.

As described in the tutorial, I use Leviton 6287 in-line filters between the Leviton X10 switches and all CFL fixtures.  That filter would also block the X10 signal if used with a switch that passes the signal through the load.

There are certainly CFLs out there that do not cause a problem for X10.  While I haven't scoped one yet, the new n:vision CFLs sold by Home Depot work fine on a X10 lamp module just switched on/off.  However, my X10 signals are stronger than in an average house, so that might be a factor.

Jeff

Thanks what's the name of them N:Vision?? I bought some at Sam's that wouldn't work, well kind of. Once you cut them off they would flicker for about 20 seconds.

Tom j

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 05:29:05 PM »

Thanks what's the name of them N:Vision?? I bought some at Sam's that wouldn't work, well kind of. Once you cut them off they would flicker for about 20 seconds.

Yes, we got n:vision 60w equivalent SKU 423-599 Model EDXO-14.  They work fine switched ON and OFF with an ordinary X10 lamp module (RCA flavor), turn on at full intensity immediately, and do not flicker when switched off.

These were bought back in the spring.  Since then I have seen reports of flicker when switched off, so they may have changed the design since then.

Jeff

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 07:31:51 PM »

Yes, we got n:vision 60w equivalent SKU 423-599 Model EDXO-14.  They work fine switched ON and OFF with an ordinary X10 lamp module (RCA flavor), turn on at full intensity immediately, and do not flicker when switched off.

These were bought back in the spring.  Since then I have seen reports of flicker when switched off, so they may have changed the design since then.

Jeff

The N:Vision bulbs I've gotten from Home Depot this suumer do the same thing.  They work fine with appliance and lamp modules, but blink slowly and friefly when turned off with lamp modules and some appliance modules.  I've been putting 22k ohm resistors in the wall plugs to eliminate this.  Very little heat in the resistors.  I'll post pictures, etc., soon about the plugs I used.  Other than that the N:Vision bulbs are great.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.