Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [How-Do-I] Setup an Email System to Monitor Magnetic Contact Activity?  (Read 9569 times)

Nandy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hello forum. I have a need to monitor around 3 doors and a door bell. What I want is to get an email everytime one of these door or press the door bell. I am proficient in elelctronics, unix and programing. I did some plc programing in the past also and work with alarms. Giving you some background so you guys can go a bit technical if you will. If just that there is a lot stuff outhere and the only way to get what the best match what I need I guess is to ask the people in the know..  Thats y'all!
Anyway, I would like to keep it under $100, I can settle for just one door and the bell, and if absolutelly necesary, then just one door. The closest thing I have find have cameras and I really dont have a need for that. I guess I rather save the money from the cam that I would not use.

Thanks!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171

Hi Nandy: Welcome to the forum.

The easiest method would be to get ActiceHomePro (AHP) with all the current plug-ins and some door/window sensors (DS10A).

Looking at X10's website, the cost for the AHP and 4 DS10A's is around $70.

The OnAlert plug-in is what interfaces the door/window sensors to the software and the MyHouse plug-in is required for sending email.

You could set up you door bell different ways. A couple suggetsion are:

• 1. Interface your existing door bell switch to one of the door/window sensors

• 2. Use a PowerFlash (PF284) module to create an X10 signal from your existing door bell switch

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

I'd also recommend Activehome Pro with At least the On-alert plug-in (needed to see the security devices!) and your door /window sensors.
You can then trigger emails from a free program called X10dispatcher(you'll need to create a macro sending a signal that it can trigger the email on)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator

Since you are proficient in electronics you may wish to look at aW800RF32A
you may be able to use just it with the sensors and a PC.
If you have some programing knowledge you may even be able to create something to use it!
There is home automation software that can use it! ;)HomeDomination is one! ;) But then your getting slightly over the $100 mark!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Nandy

Thanks for the options! I will look in to them. Anyone else cares to chime in?

Nandy

Sorry for the delay but I have been tied up big time. One more thing, does these door contacts provide a port or connection for NC contacts? I rather use the recesed contacts I have in the doors than having that box exposed. The cables are running back to the old alarm system so I dont have to have anything exposed and can wire the magnetic contact there to the xmiter.

I will probably order this today so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Tuicemen

• Administrator

. One more thing, does these door contacts provide a port or connection for NC contacts?
No :( ::)
I rather use the recesed contacts I have in the doors than having that box exposed.The cables are running back to the old alarm system so I dont have to have anything exposed and can wire the magnetic contact there to the xmiter.
If wires run back to the old system Just attach the wires to the ones from the Door/window sensor to the recessed contact wires there,shouldn't be a problem unless the wire run is extream! ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Nandy

Just got the system delivered today. I should have a chance to play with it later. Im glad those door sensonrs are external. That will make my life easy, a lot easy! will let y'all know...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.