Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [How-Do-I] Assemble a Low-Cost, Heat-Activated Automatic Drapery Controller?  (Read 38171 times)

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page

I gave up and simply added a small relay inside the module that the x10 turns on and off. It works.

Dick: Sounds neat.  After you win your battle of the drapes how about some pics and a description of how you did the aplliance modification.  We'd also be interested in a description of the overall drape installation.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

rms59

• Helpful Post Rating: 15

Ok, I finally figured out how to modify the drape controller so it will close the drapes when the temperature rises to a preset temperature and open them when the temperature falls, no matter what position the drapes are originally parked. Since it uses a Powerflash on the same code as the appliance module, the powerflash can be overriden at any time.

It works on paper and I see no reason it won't work when I complete modifying the circuit. I'll have photos and instructions for those interested when I finish in a few days time.

Dick

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

...It works on paper and I see no reason it won't work when I complete modifying the circuit. I'll have photos and instructions for those interested when I finish in a few days time...
If it works on paper, it has to work with X10.  ;)

Do let us know how it goes. I'm sure it could be a reference for others.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member

The drawing is made with "Edge Diagrammer" . I think I paid $50 for it but you can try it free for 30 days. Pretty neat program.

Dick:  I downloaded the trial copy of Edge Diagrammer last Friday evening and bought it Saturday evening!  Great program - very deep in features.  After seeing your circuit diagram I was surprised that there wasn't an electrical symbol set add on for it.  You really worked hard to produce that diagram!

After generating Telephone, Video and Computer network diagrams for our house in record short time, I tackled the electrical symbol problem by searching on Google.  Amazingly I found what I (we?) needed in about 10 minutes.  It's a free WMF electrical symbol library.  The only problem is that all the symbols are horizontal when actually some of them also really need to be vertical and Edge doesn't provide a rotate function.  So I rotated the ones I thought were necessary and added them to the library.  You can download my version of the library from here.

http://www.sfpasc.com/x10/SymbolsPlus.ZIP

Add a folder named "Symbols" in the EDGE 32  Clipart folder in your Program Files and unzip this file inside it.  The symbols will need to be reduced about 50% after you insert them into a diagram. You'll also want to turn off the "snap to" function for connector ends.  I defined a new Template called Wiring Diagram to hold this and other set up info.

To reasure yourself that these symbols are available for our use go to:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm

Send me an email if you need more info.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:36:30 PM by Oldtimer »

rms59

The drawing is made with "Edge Diagrammer" . I think I paid $50 for it but you can try it free for 30 days. Pretty neat program.

Dick:  I downloaded the trial copy of Edge Diagrammer last Friday evening and bought it Saturday evening!  Great program - very deep in features.  After seeing your circuit diagram I was surprised that there wasn't an electrical symbol set add on for it.  You really worked hard to produce that diagram!

After generating Telephone, Video and Computer network diagrams for our house in record short time, I tackled the electrical symbol problem by searching on Google.  Amazingly I found what I (we?) needed in about 10 minutes.  It's a free WMF electrical symbol library.  The only problem is that all the symbols are horizontal when actually some of them also really need to be vertical and Edge doesn't provide a rotate function.  So I rotated the ones I thought were necessary and added them to the library.  You can download my version of the library from here.

http://www.sfpasc.com/x10/SymbolsPlus.ZIP

Add a folder named "Symbols" in the EDGE 32  Clipart folder in your Program Files and unzip this file inside it.  The symbols will need to be reduced about 50% after you insert them into a diagram. You'll also want to turn off the "snap to" function for connector ends.  I defined a new Template called Wiring Diagram to hold this and other set up info.

To reasure yourself that these symbols are available for our use go to:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm

Send me an email if you need more info.

Thanks very much for those symbols. That was a good find and I didn't think it was possible to import them into a program like this.

I got tied up yesterday with the granddaughter but will be back on it today. I'm taking photos as I go along which takes some time...

Dick
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:28:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »

rms59

Just an update..... It works perfectly.  ;D

When I finished it, I had a problem that I drove me nuts for 8 hours but I found the addition of two diodes solved it. The entire change to the drape motor is easily done if you are handy with a soldering iron and a pair of cutters, and have about twenty minutes to spare.

This design will allow the drapes to be opened and closed, or partially closed, using your existing transmitters or programs, but will automatically close the drapes on a command from the powerflash no matter what position there in.

I will get the photos and "how to" together in a few days time and will upload it to a new post separate from this one.

Dick

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member

Just an update..... It works perfectly.  ;D

Great news.  Really looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.