Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What hardware should i by for my requierments?  (Read 58145 times)

lerra

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What hardware should i by for my requierments?
« on: April 04, 2007, 03:54:59 PM »

Hi, i have now looked around for almost a week on X10 hardware on ebay. But i am just confusing, more time i add to it more confusing i am getting.

Now, this is what i want:
Wireless motion detector
An wireless interface to get the motion detection to my computer

This should work under Linux too, would be nice to get it working cpan modules but that is for cm17 and cm11 what i have found out.
I want to trigger a system command on my Linux system when i get a motion detection with my wireless detector, what X10 products should i look at?

lerra

Re: What hardware should i by for my requierments?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »

Hi again, i think i got it now, found a realy good article about X10. A CM11 to using the wires to CM17 device that sends it over RADIO, a wireles motion detector that sends to a predefined "lamp" that the computer responds to, or am i wrong?
The problem is that the CM11 and 17 seams like they are only done for US plugs/electric networks. Will there be any problem for me that have Swedish (EU) plugs and 220v?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:44:12 PM »

You'll need to purchase the products from x10Europe as they sell units designed for 220v.
Software should work for it that works for the NorthAmerican 110v versions! Heyu I believe works with the CM11A and CM17A ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lerra

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »

Ow, cool!:) Thanks, but i have now two more problems, i cant se a CM17 EU version and how the hell to i buy from the site? The reason i would like to use CM17 and 11 is that there is CPAN Perl modules that i could use to code directly to them. Realy neat! But what i see, cm17 is just sending the signals from wire to radio, so the change of cm17 to a nother product that does the same should not affect the codeing?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:42:43 PM »

Actually the cm17  is a serial port device that needs a PC. ;)
The CM11 also a serial port device can be run on it's own or with a PC!
Both send RF to the power line via a transceiver but the cm11 also sends powerline signals
Neither receives RF .
The cm17 does not receive powerline commands the cm11 does which makes the cm11 more versatile!
In order to purchase from the Europe site you have to e-mail them I believe and they will send you a quote! ???
Hope this info is helpful? ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:27:14 PM »

Hi again, i think i got it now, found a realy good article about X10. A CM11 to using the wires to CM17 device that sends it over RADIO, a wireles motion detector that sends to a predefined "lamp" that the computer responds to, or am i wrong?
The problem is that the CM11 and 17 seams like they are only done for US plugs/electric networks. Will there be any problem for me that have Swedish (EU) plugs and 220v?

What do you want your computer to do when it receives the RF signal from a wireless motion detector?

The CM17 is an RF transmitter with no receiving capability - I don't think that's what you want.  And as far as I know it's only available at the 310 MHz RF operating frequency used by X10 wireless in North America.   European X10 wireless uses 433.92 MHz.

X10 components for the voltages and frequencies in Europe are distributed by Intellihome in Belgium (http://www.intellihome.be).

If you intend to run under Linux, take a look at Heyu (http://www.heyu.org).  Heyu now supports the W800RF32AE (433.92 MHz) RF receiver for signals from European X10 RF sensors like motion detectors.

Once it receives the RF signal, Heyu can control lamps and appliances by sending signals over the AC powerline with a CM11.   Or it can execute arbitrary Linux  commands.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

lerra

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:57:14 AM »

Yes, i whant the computer to recive the RF signal, i have now bought 3 ms13 motion detectors/sensors and wait for what type (EU/US) it is so i know what freq it is sending on and then buy the reciver, Is there any place that sells cheap W800RF32A? I have lookt at ebay and only got one hit and it landed on 80$ with the shipment only to US. I found out a cheaper MR26A but i dont think it can handle motion sensors and it's range is limited..
Do you know if the W800RF32A is capeble to send RF signals too?

Thanks for all the help!:)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »

Yes, i whant the computer to recive the RF signal, i have now bought 3 ms13 motion detectors/sensors and wait for what type (EU/US) it is so i know what freq it is sending on and then buy the reciver, Is there any place that sells cheap W800RF32A? I have lookt at ebay and only got one hit and it landed on 80$ with the shipment only to US. I found out a cheaper MR26A but i dont think it can handle motion sensors and it's range is limited..
Do you know if the W800RF32A is capeble to send RF signals too?

Try a Google search for W800RF32A if you want the US/Canada version to match the RF frequency of the (US) MS13A.
Automated Outlet (http://www.automatedoutlet.com) sells it for $70.  (The photograph is incorrect.)  They also sell the European version so I assume they'll ship to Europe.  (Make sure you specify that you do in fact want the US/Canada version.)  You'll need to buy a 9V power supply locally as the one supplied with the US/Canada version is for 120VAC.

The MR26A can receive the RF signals from standard motion detectors like the MS13A but not security motion detectors like the MS10A.  And yes, it's range is substantially less that the W800RF32A.

Neither the W800RF32A nor the MR26A can send RF.   You can use a CM17A "Firecracker" to send RF if you have RF receivers which can listen on the 310 MHz frequency.  (The CM17A is fully supported by Heyu.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

lerra

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »

Thanks, i have now bougth the US version from automatedoutlet.com! But what I have understand the CM17 is US specific (110v), what could i use instead that works good and have support in the most projects (perl and linux).

I love this forum, helpt me allot:)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 04:03:33 PM »

Thanks, i have now bougth the US version from automatedoutlet.com! But what I have understand the CM17 is US specific (110v), what could i use instead that works good and have support in the most projects (perl and linux).

The CM17A is powered directly by the serial port - no external power supply is required.  It's US/Canada specific only because of the 310MHz RF frequency.

However I'm not sure why you want an RF transmitter like the CM17A if the only X10 RF receiver you have is a W800RF32A connected on the same computer.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

lerra

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »

Ow, sorry, confused with CM11A. I would like to have it to in the feature controll dimmers and buttons..but i found a ebay ad where it said i need a unit (becide CM17A) that converts it to wired in to the electric wire..do any of you know any for Europe (Maybe i need the EU version of CM17 then so the EU version of the radio -> wire module listens to the same radio freq)? This is probly the last question:) Now, i'm just waiting for the shipment and then do some perl coding:)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:26:03 PM »

Ow, sorry, confused with CM11A. I would like to have it to in the feature controll dimmers and buttons..but i found a ebay ad where it said i need a unit (becide CM17A) that converts it to wired in to the electric wire..do any of you know any for Europe (Maybe i need the EU version of CM17 then so the EU version of the radio -> wire module listens to the same radio freq)? This is probly the last question:) Now, i'm just waiting for the shipment and then do some perl coding:)

I'm still confused over what you are trying to accomplish.

You have MS13A motion detectors and have ordered a W800RF32A.  You need a CM11 (European version from Intellihome) to send X10 signals over the AC power line under computer control as in the following flow:

MS13A -->  W800RF32A --> Computer (with your PERL script and Heyu) --> CM11 --> X10 power line signals --> Lamp and Appliance modules.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

lerra

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 05:04:55 AM »

Ow, i am then verry sorry that i have not been clear from the begining. Yes, that is exactly what i whant!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 08:17:36 AM »

Ow, i am then verry sorry that i have not been clear from the begining. Yes, that is exactly what i whant!

Intellihome sells the 220V, 50Hz European version CM11:
  http://www.intellihome.be/english/home_automation.asp?menu=6

However Linux users have had problems with the USB cable supplied with this unit.   At one time the CM11 was shipped with both the RS232 cable and the USB cable, or the CM11 with the RS232 cable was separately listed.  Contact them to find out how to order the CM11 with a RS232 cable.

If you don't have two RS232 ports on your computer you'll need to get a USB->Serial adapter which is compatible with Linux.

Update 7 Apr 2007 by CS: Intellihome replied to my inquiry and said that both the Serial and USB cables are shipped with the CM11 per the above URL and no special ordering instructions are required.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 03:25:46 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

lerra

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »

Ow, thats nice!:) Thanks for the support again!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.