Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [How-Do-I] Increase the Signal and/or Extend the Range of the Xcam2?  (Read 12919 times)

win1012

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Thank God I won the game of life!

Greetings All, I have a 4 Xcam2 system with Vanguard software and a Lola VR38A audio/video receiver. If I point the VR38A rectangular/squareish antenna at the most distant camera it will have a good picture(two are consistently good), but the other less distant  will have a very bad picture. If I focus on the less distant then the other more distant has virtually no picture. The problem is signal strength. If I move the receiver around the room I find I briefly get a picture from both cams (the other two are nearby and have good pictures) but with no stability. So, after reading a lot of posts I still don't really know how to deal with the weak signals. It seems that if you use some sort of metallic object near the receiver antenna you can increase the signal. Some people are doing antenna modifications to increase signal strength but I haven't seen anything relating to the rectangular VR38A type antenna. Does anyone know about a modification for this or some sort of object when placed in proximity to the antenna will increase signal strength?
I also have read posts about a "Smart RF Repeater e.g. PSX01" but none mention whether that will help increase the Xcam signal back to the receiver. Does anyone know if doing this in this way is possible?
Today I spoke to a tech support man (who really wasn't technically knowledgeable) who referred me to this topic "X10.com does not currently offer a signal booster or extender for the XCameras, but you can extend the XCam's signal by using more sender and receiver units. To extend the signal, you set the camera or initial sender for Channel D. The switch is located under the rubber plug next to the camera's lens. Next, you set the new Receiver unit within 100 feet, also set to Channel D. You now have a signal from the camera to the receiver. Using the audio/video cables (included), plug the Channel D receiver into the sender you just purchased. Set that sender to A, so it can transmit up to another 100 feet - to a Channel A receiver. This receiver carries the image of the Camera on Channel D from 200 feet away.
If you have multiple cameras, just point each camera at the nearest video receiver. Set each camera to the same transmission channel as the receiver that the camera is pointed at."
This topic refers to the "New" VK82A Wireless Audio/Video Sender and Receiver, and it seems that if it works as described would solve the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Any links to info or helpful posts would be appreciated. Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: [How-Do-I] Increase the Signal and/or Extend the Range of the Xcam2?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:47:27 PM »

I found it helpful to consolidate my cameras reception (some cameras are wired) an area (my basement) away from any TV. Then I hardwire transmit (I use a RF modulator, available at any Walmart) to send the single to my VCR and Office TV, and RE-broadcast (with a video sender as you described) to the upstars TV.

It sounds complicated, but is really pretty simple. I even use an auto-switching modulator, that detects the cameras video signal and displays on the TV automatically.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

win1012

• Thank God I won the game of life!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:09:50 AM »

Dave, Thanks for your input. I don't use any TV, only a dedicated PC/ monitor. So I either will hard wire the antenna of the camera by extending the wire between the camera circuit ant the antenna circuit or using the VK82A to rebroadcast to the Lola receiver. What do you think?

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 05:52:15 PM »

I either will hard wire the antenna of the camera by extending the wire between the camera circuit ant the antenna circuit or using the VK82A to rebroadcast to the Lola receiver. What do you think?

Even though I am handy with a soldering iron..... I think I would just re-broadcast the more distance camera(s) using video sender/receivers.

mathie

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »

So anyone tries to use the VK82A to extend the receiver/camera range yet? I'm thinking of trying it out

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 12:27:09 PM »

So anyone tries to use the VK82A to extend the receiver/camera range yet? I'm thinking of trying it out

Yes.. and they work fine for video. Although you may or may-not get audio. In my state....it is fine to watch trespassers... but unlawful to listen. So I've never checked audio compatibility.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.