Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nintendo WII ,Logmein,AHP  (Read 18853 times)

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Nintendo WII ,Logmein,AHP
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »

I got bored today and thought I would see if I could control AHP with my Nintendo WII.  :'

I got on the WII's web browser and logged into my logmein.com account. I could control my computer with the WII remote but was  slow cause the WII bowers doesn't support  the  activex software.  SO when I opened AHP all is well and I can turn the lights on and off. The reason why it is a little slow is that the browser works kind a off screenshots. So you click the light off and then it reloads the screen to show you th new shot with the light off. Not as bad as it sounds with a quicker internet speed. Logmein also has a setting to monitor the computer you are controlling so basically that  means it will reload the screen every so many seconds to ensure you have the updated screen. This helps so if you use a x10 remote to turn on a light. The screen will update to show you it on the WII.

Note to people thinking of using Logmein... this slowness I talk about and screenshot reload is because of the Wii. If you want to use another computer to remote access your home computer it works great with no problems.

I also tried using my PC companion floor layout program ( Thanks Tuicemen again) but it was really slow and didn't work great. Again nothing bad with PC companion it is just a side effect of the WII web browser.

I'm betting the other game systems web browser would be better. Like the PS# and Xbox cause I think they use a better browser....but not as neat as using the WII remote to just point at your screen and turn a light on lol

I did see this youtube video on someone using the wii to interface with the home. Still looking to see what software and if it would be down with x10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZC2gpFN7I
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Nintendo WII ,Logmein,AHP
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »

VERY COOL Jsnlong! I love the innovation!

I also tried using my PC companion floor layout program ( Thanks Tuicemen again) but it was really slow and didn't work great. Again nothing bad with PC companion it is just a side effect of the WII web browser.

I've only read a clippet here or there about this new fangled "PC companion floor layout program". I would like to hear more about it. It sounds pretty darn intriguing. I have a PC to TV sender and the PC remote mouse. Could I set all this up to appear on my LCD TV upstairs? Any additional info you could give us on this subject would be helpful.

I did see this youtube video on someone using the wii to interface with the home. Still looking to see what software and if it would be down with x10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZC2gpFN7I

That looks like a SmartHome logo to me at the top of the video to me. I sent LquidIce629 (the video's creator) a message (through YouTube) and asked him what he is using.

Oh crap... logged on to YouTube... another day wasted. Could you avoid the LogMeIn and go directly to you PC like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TDlxFqZywo&NR=1
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:11:01 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »

I would think it would be easy to set PC companion floor plan on your tv. If you can do AHP like that then PC companion is no different.

I like it. The floor plan layout for me make it east to look at a drawing or even picture of your room/house and know what lamp you want to turn on and then just click on it. I mean it is so easy a 5 year old can do it........Really my 5 year old plays with it all the time he sits in my office and clicks on all the lights at night from the office to the kitchen. He gets a snack and then comes back and shuts them off. 
Now I know that you can do the same with Motion sensor and stuff to for a 5 year old that's cool stuff!!

I'm looking forward to getting a touchscreen monitor and having this layout program near the front door. Will be nice to see what lights are on and then shut them off with out fumbling though my AHP rooms. Plus its makes it easy for the wife to know what she is doing to she can just look and see a light near the couch and turn it on or even the lights out back.

I can't find the Link to the monitor some of us have talked about in KDR"S chat room....maybe on of the guys have a link and will post it for others to see.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »

Jsnlong  Your welcome again!  rofl
Sorry to hear PC Companion was too slow with the Wii but it was never designed to work threw a setup like that! Maybe as you stated with a faster connection?  ???

Dave_x10_L
I have a PC to TV sender and the PC remote mouse. Could I set all this up to appear on my LCD TV upstairs? Any additional info you could give us on this subject would be helpful.
Yes, this is my thought behind this!
I had a setup I ran with my old firecracker setup, remote mouse and an ATI AIW card many years back!
I hated running 3 or 4 programs at the same time to accomplish this as it slowed every thing down! PC Companion Now has all the componets I wish I had back then even remote control built in!
Although I'm not sure how it will work on windows media center as seen it the video at Utube. Many of the options in the video would only be accessable with the remote as I have no screen access built yet!
I need a new video card with video out to give this its test run downstairs away from the PC!
The one Issue that may cause problems is Wireless cams ,lans ... which might interfere!
Next time My daughter goes away for an extended holiday I'll definitely check out her Wii!  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »

........  I'm looking forward to getting a touchscreen monitor and having this layout program near the front door.

Ah yes... the wall mounted touchscreen that allows you to control the home as well as view the cameras. I thnk Tuicemen can even explain to you how to make it a speaker-phone / answering machine. This is the stuff automated dreams are made of.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »

I thnk Tuicemen can even explain to you how to make it a speaker-phone / answering machine.
Dave_x10_L your giving me to much credit!
I have to get one first! rofl
Just installed Windows 7 to test run Companion! But a last my test machine has less then the min required memory so things are slow on it! But Companion will load (baby steps first) seems it has some Vista style security issues that I have to work out for Updating the settings file!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:31:09 PM »

Dave_x10_L your giving me to much credit! I have to get one first! rofl

Well I was thinking about x10 dispatcher... but I really think your PC Companion is turning into every X10 users MUST HAVE program.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »

Well I was thinking about x10 dispatcher... but I really think your PC Companion is turning into every X10 users MUST HAVE program.
I realy think you were thinking about AlertDialer! X10Dispatcher has no real Phone capabilities of it's own!
Companion will how ever display caller ID on a touch screen (or any screen) provide you have the service and a voice modem!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »

i'm betting the other game systems web browser would be better. Like the PS# and Xbox cause I think they use a better browser....but not as neat as using the WII remote to just point at your screen and turn a light on lol

I own a PS3 and can tell you that I cannot even get the logmein remote control page to load.  Again it's the lack of activx control.. My hope is that they will update the browser or just give us mozilla. Sony is starting to market the PS3 as a media center more over than a game system. They offer regular firmware updates to that end so I feel it's just a matter of time before they update their browser again.
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »

s0urc3f0ur,
Logmein has a plug-in for mozilla. I've been using firefox and logmein for a year now with no problems, just not on a PS3.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:59:34 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »

s0urc3f0ur,
Logmein has a plug-in for mozilla. I've been using firefox and logmein for a ye4ar now with no problems, just not on a PS3.

If I partitioned the hard Drive on the PS3 I would be able to load  a linux based OS and then I  could use mozilla. Only I have a 20g PS3 and don't really see the need (since my Pc is in the den 10 ft away!).. I was just really trying to see what the PS3's browser could handle( which is not much.)
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.