Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [USER IDEA] Talking Clock for Bill's Voice Commander  (Read 54410 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
[USER IDEA] Talking Clock for Bill's Voice Commander
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:34:15 PM »

Overview: A FREE talking clock for AHP - BXVC users

To hear more of my Kate16 voice, I turned her into a talking clock (an additional duty ;) ).  Of course the (standard BXVC) " tell me the time command " still works fine. But now from 6:00 AM till bedtime, she announces the time on the hour. This would be just as much fun using the MS Mary voice.

How-To:

• First I created 12 GHOST modules (in AHP) on the O HouseCode (O for O'clock), in a Room named "Clock". I named the modules:
     - Clock 1
     - Clock 2
     - and so on.

• Then I created a macro named 'Clock Voice', and went through setting Timers for each GHOST module.
     -  Module "Clock 1", only has a timer for 1:00 PM as 1:00 AM is past my normal bedtime. :-[ :P
     -  Module "Clock 6" has a timer to turn on at both 6:00 AM and PM.

• While doing the timers, it might be a good time to set the modules to turn OFF at half past. You could do a voice for half past, or maybe just a "ding" sound.

• Using the "Listener" in BXVC, I created a setting for each GHOST module for when BXVC hears an ON signal.
    Each has a custom response and I typed in " The current time is now ___ oh clock ". Of course, for the Clock 1 GHOST module I typed "one" in the blank, "two" for 2, and so on.

Requirements:

• 1.)  ActiveHome Pro version 3.204 or better, I don't know if it could be done without smart macro's, still a AHP newbie at this point
  • 2.)  BXVC version 0.46 (thats when Bill added the listener) or better. Bill has 0.5 available for download now
  • 3.)  SAPI 5 compatible speech engine (built into your Microsoft win 98 or newer operating system). Or a free download LINK at the BXVC Web Site
  • 4.)  MS or other Voice(s)

Talking clocks aren't new.... but they're still fun. And it let's me know Kate's OK down there in the basement. :)

[TTA Edit: As per our PM conversation, SPLIT off from the main BXVC Daily 'Coffee Klatch' and added some 'Suggested" formatting. Please correct the Requirements, comment on / change however you feel is best.]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 09:54:34 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: [USER IDEA] Talking Clock for BXVC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:05:43 PM »

To hear more of my Kate16 voice ....I turned her into a talking clock (an additional duty).

Dave, I don't think that we should be HIDING these 'new ideas' type of posts in other threads. Puck once talked about creating a Smart Macros Examples Thread. EL34 posted his X10 Project #4 today. But, unless you're logging on daily and reading everything, you'll miss them.

If you, and everyone else reading this, would gather together the LINKs of these 'new ideas', I'll put them into a TABLE of LINKs STICKY, similar to my 'FAILED' Members Sharing Their Original X10 Home Automation Ideas [Updated: 2006/10/21]  (Read 1339 times).
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »

Dave,

I glad to see you are enjoying the new voices, I thought you might. I agree Kate sounds a little like "Seven". You are surely showing what can be done w/ the "lowly" AHP and BXVC.

However, it does appear you have "Dilberted" right off the deep end.  ;D  Did you ever see the Dibert episode where he awakens to a JERI RYAN Star Trek alarm clock? It seems I recall the phrase "resistance is futile" in regards to not awakening and some more stuff about how she would never date him.

So you now need to set up a similar wake up routine. Maybe even voice interactive. That will "complete" your "journey to the DARK side". It is your destiny.

GLT

P.S. Kids - save your allowance for that IR plugin to AHP, it's coming.

PSS: Part of the actual qutoe: Get out of bed.... resistance is futile.... wake up and assimilate the day.

http://www.the-earchives.com/scripts/detail.asp?queryby=list&movie_title=Dilbert

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:28:17 PM by glt »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:42:39 AM »

P.S. Kids - save your allowance for that IR plugin to AHP, it's coming.

Wow.   :o

IR is the one of the features I really miss from the CM14A. 
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:11:04 AM »

**Nice!**
Perhaps Dave you can convice Bill to add a talking clock option to BXVC!
Thus freeing up 12  X10 unit codes and lets you know BXVC & Kate are still Alive and running. ;) :D ;D
I Just like to keep X10 traffic to a minimum. ;) :D ;D
I've played with a talking clock option for X10WavPlayer and wouldn't have thought of the option without your post! ;) :D ;D

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:58:13 PM »

The "listener" part of BXVC is really an awesome feature! When you think about it ANY device that can some how trigger any X10 line of RF house/unit code can be announced by BXVC. If someone was to use the Powerflash Interface (PSC01) or even just a hot-wired palmpad remote, almost ANYTHING can be communicated as a custom voice announcement.

I still use one chime... and will likely keep it in service as a back-up to BXVC. But I really like the (kate16) voice telling me "there is activity in the backyard", or "there is a vistor in the driveway".

I know this all eats up X10 house/unit codes.... but I  have a decent sized X10 set-up and still have about 200 codes still available.

You know.... what would be a nice "add-on" to the voice would be a calender-reminder program. One that can use the selected (kate16) voice, make the announcement(s) at the proper date(s) and time(s) and not require a "click" on an "OK" button afterwards. It could even function as a [talking] clock!

You could write that couldn't you Tuicemen? Microsoft already has the calender there just waiting to be used.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:04:01 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 10:27:21 PM »

Nearly 2500 views to this thread...... has anyone else tried the "talking clock?
My newest favorite add-on to BVC is weather aloud. At my verbal request I get a weather report via the Kate voice..

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »

Nearly 2500 views to this thread...... has anyone else tried the "talking clock?
My newest favorite add-on to BVC is weather aloud. At my verbal request I get a weather report via the Kate voice..

Dave,  how did you set this up on BVC?
I think it's worth the $20, I'd like to add it.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 04:52:42 PM »

It's really easy..... just download the 30 day free trial. Select your city, and then checkout the settings. A little playing with them and you will be up and running.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 11:07:36 AM »

You know.... what would be a nice "add-on" to the voice would be a calender-reminder program. One that can use the selected (kate16) voice, make the announcement(s) at the proper date(s) and time(s) and not require a "click" on an "OK" button afterwards. It could even function as a [talking] clock!

You could write that couldn't you Tuicemen? Microsoft already has the calender there just waiting to be used.

Ok Dave! ;)
Just putting the final touches on the calender-reminder as part of X10wavplayer along with the ability to tell the current weather and current time so only one X10address is needed to trigger the time from AHP. Just waiting on feed back from some beta testers before I release it! ;)

Note to All: Before one jumps out and throws some cash at a niche program!
Why not donate to one of the freeware programs the users here create and make some suggestions for adds? (sad plug for cash) ::) ;) :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:16:50 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 05:43:10 PM »

...My newest favorite add-on to BVC is weather aloud. At my verbal request I get a weather report...
How do you configure Weather Aloud to update the wav file automatically? I have BVC playing the Weather Aloud file from yesterday.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
Re: [USER IDEA] Talking Clock for Bill's Voice Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »

In Weather Aloud Preferences you can change the update time. I have mine updated every 30 minutes.  Just make sure the Weather Aloud output is going into the right spot in BVC.  "Audio Files", not "Sample Files".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:18:11 PM by dahur »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 10:13:03 PM »

How do you configure Weather Aloud to update the wav file automatically? I have BVC playing the Weather Aloud file from yesterday.

In Weather Aloud Preferences you can change the update time. I have mine updated every 30 minutes.  Just make sure the Weather Aloud output is going into the right spot in BVC.  "Audio Files", not "Sample Files".

Yes.... and WeatherAloud may be saving more than one file... if so be sure you select the correct one.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Talking Clock another way!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »

Yes.... and WeatherAloud may be saving more than one file... if so be sure you select the correct one.
Ouch Good thing Hard drives are big now a days!
Note: X10WavPlayer doesn't save the weather info to a file!
It checks for updated info each time you request!
We all know how frequently weather changes! ;)
For the Talking Clock , to set this up so you only use one X10 address:
You only need one macro that basically fires the "Time(0).bat" file from the X10WavPlayer/BatchFiles folder.
Set timers to fire when you'd like the time announced!(every half hour if you like)
And now you can add the time annoucement to any X10 macro if you wish! ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:48:29 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

longbow22

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »

Hi
I was wondering if tuicemen could post some more information about using only 1 x10 address and a batch file for the talking clock?

Thanks

LB
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.