Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Learning a button you need to hold  (Read 29947 times)

nswint

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
    • Shiksa
Learning a button you need to hold
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:17:29 PM »

Does anyone know if it's possible to learn a button that you need to hold down for x amount of time for a command to happen?  My DVD player uses the stop button that is held for more than 2 seconds to issue a "tray open/close" command.  It works for me normally on the remote when I hold down the stop button but what about learning.

One thing that I did try was multiple stop button commands via macros with no delay and that did not work.  I believe that it needs continuous ir transmission for 2 or more seconds to open or close the tray.

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
Re: Learning a button you need to hold
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:11:32 PM »

I would have to guess that this isn't learnable. There's no way, as far as I know, to indicate the duration of a command on X10 IR remotes, and since all learning is done by continuously holding down the learned key there's no way to differentiate the commands. Does the open tray function work if you just hold down the learned Stop function?

nswint

• Shiksa
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:17:11 AM »

Yeah it works that way.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »

Volume buttons and channel up/down buttons work that way.  I mean, if you press the "volume up" button, the volume will continue to increase until you release it.  So, there has to be some way to learn it?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

nswint

• Shiksa
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »

X10 Gurus... Do you know if there's anyway to change the code of the remote to allow learning of code until the button is released or sequence of buttons and okay is pressed to end learning?  Instead of ending learning at the instance the ir code is detected or timeout after it fails?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »

Volume buttons and channel up/down buttons work that way.  I mean, if you press the "volume up" button, the volume will continue to increase until you release it....
I expect that volume and channel buttons just send a repeating signal while pushed. The TV just responds by continuing to change volume or channel. Other buttons may also repeat their signal but the IR receiving software in the TV ignores the repeated signal only responding again after a brief interruption in signal from the user removing their finger from the button.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:13:54 PM »

X10 Gurus... Do you know if there's anyway to change the code of the remote to allow learning of code until the button is released or sequence of buttons and okay is pressed to end learning?  Instead of ending learning at the instance the ir code is detected or timeout after it fails?

I could see two ways of accomplishing what you want to do, and doing it in the learning process is the least likely and most problematic. As far as I know, the iconRemote doesn't introduce new IR learning technology (I don't remember hearing anything about that while we were working on it), and I would assume that it learns only the part of the IR signal it takes to recognize the command as a distinct code -- that's how learning works. If it didn't work that way, you would either always have to tell a remote how long to transmit the learned command, or the remote would always transmit for the length of time that the signal was transmitted while learning. Neither of those is desirable.

The other way to do it would be to be able to specify the length of time to transmit a command in a macro or in a soft-key definition. A feature like that would take some work, and probably would be of limited use since most manufacturers stick to the standard. However, X10 did allow this in the old IR Commander software.

I don't think it's possible to do what you want with current X10 IR remotes, including iconRemote.

[TTA Edit: Combine 2 sequential posts into 1.]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:26:34 PM by TakeTheActive »

nswint

• Shiksa
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:51:32 AM »

Thanks I figured I was asking for too much.. never hurts  ;)

hamiltonjim

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »

When I was setting up my iconremote, I found that for the volume button programming you had to hold it until the screen changed. If you just pressed and let go the result is that the volume on the device only stepped up. After reprogamming by holding the volume button until the icon screen changed, the volume control worked like it should, continually raising the volume without having to repress the button. This might work with your stop key problem.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.