Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VCR Commander II Will Not Learn the Record Function  (Read 21747 times)

Pegasus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
VCR Commander II Will Not Learn the Record Function
« on: April 14, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »

I have just bought 2 systems. One for my son-in-law and one for me. I spent last Saturday trying to program the VCR Commander to their VCR remote and was successful ONCE. The VCR Commander will not start the vcr recording when the EagleEyes have detected motion. The receiver will switch the cameras to the one that has motion detected. I have tried clearing the VCR Commander several times as the instructions say to do. I have even tried switching the Commanders out but I am still having the same problem. Neither one wants to learn the record function........ ???

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: VCR Commander II Will Not Learn the Record Function
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 04:03:38 PM »

The VCR Commander will not start the vcr recording when the EagleEyes have detected motion. The receiver will switch the cameras to the one that has motion detected. .................. I have even tried switching the Commanders out but I am still having the same problem. Neither one wants to learn the record function........ ???

Do you have a (RF X10) remote control you could use to test the VCR Commander with? It could be the Commander is "out of range" of the EagleEye motion sensors.

There is lots of info here on the forum in reguards to programing the VCR Comannder. A search will prove helpful. (I have always found turning the lights way low in the area when programing is helpful).

There is also some great info here about increasing the range of the EgaleEye motion sensor. Or just using a SR731-S Smart RF Repeater to get the signal to the Commander could work.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Pegasus

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 04:34:15 PM »

I have the sensors within 12" of the vcr commander. It is the vcr commander that will not learn the record function that is giving me the problem ( i.e. set up) ???

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »

Pegasus,

• 1.) When you trigger the Motion Sensor, does the VCR Commander beep?

• 2.) If it does not, then the VCR Commander is not programed to recognize the HouseCode and/or UnitCode of the Motion Sensor.

• 3.) If you have another RF device (i.e. Palm Pad, Keychain Remote), set it up to the same HouseCode and UnitCode as the one you think you have the VCR Commander set to and see if it will trigger the VCR Commander. (If triggered, you will hear a beep.)

• 4.) If the VCR Commander is responding to the Motion Sensor or Palm Pad with a beep, then it is certainly receiving the signal.

• 5.) Make sure the VCR Commander is set to the 'Away' mode. The directions are in the manual.

• 6.) Each time you try to program the record function and it fails, RESET the VCR Commander.

• 7.) The obvious...Try new batteries in the VCR remote.

• 8.) Make sure you follow the directions exactly.

Just a few things I found helpful when setting up mine. It was a real pain but well worth the effort.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Jim

[TTA Edit: Formatted for impact and improved readability.]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 11:08:31 PM by TakeTheActive »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Pegasus

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »

Thanks, Jim

The commander does beep when one of the sensors detects motion. It (commander) does not give me the signal that it has learned the record command. I get seven beeps and then the light goes off like it has timed out.

JimC

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »

Pegasus,

Try holding the remote at different distances from the VCR Commander. Start with it as close as possible and slowly move it back. The key being that each time it fails reset it.
I wonder is there are some VCR's that it just can't learn. ???

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Pegasus

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 09:01:06 AM »

I appreciate all the help. Nathan & Andrew from X10 sent me some help via email and I was able to get it to work. I read a thread where someone said they did not get any help from the X10 people, but I want to say that I got it and I appreciate it.

JimC

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »

Quote from: Pegasus
I read a thread where someone said they did not get any help from the X10 people, but I want to say that I got it and I appreciate it.

I have to agree. I have never had problems when dealing with X10 tech support other than long hold times on the phone.

Glad to hear you got it working.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Pegasus

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »

Well here I go again,
After giving my son-in-law my VCR Commander II that I was able to program. I attempted to program his that we were having trouble with. I followed the instructions that Nathan sent me and I can not get the unit to clear with the power button. The instruction says the light will stay on solid after holding down the power button. I can never get the light to stay on solid no matter how long I hold the power down.  ???

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.