Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time [2007]  (Read 62312 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Daylight Savings Time [2007]
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »

...I have a few computers running windows XP and would be willing to do standalone testing IF/WHEN a fix is posted.
Great! We'll hold you to your promise.
While if should of been fixed already, the level of urgency is lessoned right now. It would be a good idea to refresh this DST issue with X10 well in advance of the Fall, however.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2007, 07:51:45 PM »

You don't update the firmware, you update Windows. As has been posted here, the CM15A firmware does not control DST, the CM15A get the time from Windows.

Sorry to disagree, but from my own experience this past weekend, and from what others posted here, it is pretty clear that the CM15A firmware does indeed control DST.  And the CM15A firmware is following the old DST rules!!! 

That's the problem.   ::)

Go back and read mine and the other postings since 4/1.   My CM15A is not connected to my PC, but changed its own internal time, all by itself, by 1 hour this past Sunday.

You are 100% wrong. Ask MichaelC about the CM15A firmware .

My CM15A got it's time from Windows, and didn't jump ahead on the old DST date. It's also connected to the PC 24-7.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

jrubenstein

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2007, 12:15:31 AM »

OK Dan ... I don't know if I can make this complicated enough for you to understand, but I'll give it one last try.

There are two kinds of people in this world: (A) Those who leave their CM15A connected to their PC all the time (as you say, "24-7"), and (B) Those who leave their CM15A not connected to their PC all the time, but connect it when necessary to download timers and/or macros, or to set the CM15A's date and time.  Based on your posts, you are clearly in the (A) group.  However, many of us are in the (B) group.  For several reasons, we prefer to not leave our CM15A connected to our PC all the time.

Now, we (B) group people have been (B) group people through enough years of spring and fall DST changes to know (from our own personal experiences and from seeing these things happen with our own eyes) that the CM15A - by itself - with no connection at all to the PC - changes its own clock forward an hour and back an hour when DST changes in the spring and in the fall.  It always knew when to do that.  By itself.

This year, of course, the traditional dates for the start and end of DST were changed (by our own genius congressmen) so they no longer correspond to the old "first Sunday in April, last Sunday in October" rules.  Microsoft provided updates for Windows XP, and AHP said that if we update our Windows operating system, then when we download our timers and macros to the CM15A, Windows will tell the CM15A when DST is supposed to start and end.  So the CM15A should now know the new rules, and we (B) group people will live happily ever after.

HOWEVER ... it didn't work.  We all got our Windows DST patches.  We all cleared our CM15A's and downloaded our macros and timers, and set the CM15A's date/time before March 11.  And then we disconnected our PC's.  We all saw our Windows operating systems change their times on the correct dates, and not on the old dates.  But ... the CM15A still acts like it thinks the DST start date was supposed to be April 1.  The evidence of this is that on March 11 the CM15A didn't move its clock ahead, so we all had to connect our PC's and set the CM15A's clock manually.  And on April 1 we all saw the timers firing an hour early, because the CM15A did move its clock ahead an hour.  So we all had to connect our PC's again, and set the clock back where it should be.

After seeing on this forum that I was not the only one who had this problem, I called AHP customer support, (and waited on hold for quite a while), and they were already well aware of the problem.  Leroy told me they were working on a fix, and it should be included in the next version, and available within a couple of weeks.

You don't see the problem because - again - you are a member of the (A) group.  With your PC connected all the time, your CM15A gets its time updated from Windows often enough that it doesn't have to think about when DST starts and ends.  It just depends on Windows to tell it what time it is.

So ... to settle the "argument" ... I'd say "everybody's right"  ;).  It just depends if you're a member of the (A) group or the (B) group.

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:18:54 AM by jrubenstein »

whsbuss

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2007, 07:46:53 AM »

Well said Jeff.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2007, 08:01:43 AM »

Yes, very well said Jeff.   :)

Dan just can't seem to grasp the very basic concept, that our CM15's are disconnected from our PC's 24/7.  Yet, as Jeff said "... on April 1 we all saw the timers firing an hour early, because the CM15A did move its clock ahead an hour."

And Dan, I don't see MichaelC posting anything to the contrary.   I really doubt that MichaelC will support you on this one because it simply is not true.    ::)
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »

OK, I'll shut up on the topic.

One unanswered comment:  It was  jrubenstein who posted":
 Smiley I just called AHP/X10 (800-675-3044), waited on hold about 10 minutes, and finally spoke with Leroy in technical support.  He said they are aware of the DST problem, and are working on a fix.  I asked if it is solvable with software, and he said he thinks so.  He suggested I check the website in a week or two, and hopefully there will be an updated version of the software available which will fix the DST problem."

Will this be an update to AHP or what?

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2007, 03:11:08 AM »

Even with a firmware update, people can still have problems with the time being off.  My Brother-in-law works for a Voip company and there hardware supplier provided a patch for the new DST dates.  The company paid overtime inorder to get the patches out, then when the new DST occured all of thier customers called complaining because the systems were now an hour fast.  So, the company had to spend more money sending everyone out to re-correct the time change.  What happend?  The hardware supplier created a patch, not beliving Microsoft would have a fix.  The time change occured and the hardware advanced an hour, along with cue from Windows to advance an hour.  Thus the systems not updated had no problem, but the ones with the firmware update ran fast.

murphy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »

Well it's now 12 days until the old fall DST change date (Oct 28) and no new version of AHP has been forthcoming.    I guess those of us who run with the CM15A disconnected from the computer really do have to adjust the time manually 4 times a year.  Even the ancient CM11A had the ability to cover this problem automatically once you told it when the time change dates were.  Very disappointing.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:30 PM »

On a positive note... X10 developers are looking at suggestions we have made and may be working on a new version of AHP. Maybe they will fix the DST issue.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »

Since AHP and the CM15A get their time from Windows, for the users that don't keep the 15 connected, you will have to connect it to the PC before DST ends for real in order to have your timers/macros run a the proper times.  Those of us who have the 15 connected 24/7 don't have to do anything.   

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »

Well it's now 12 days until the old fall DST change date (Oct 28) ...

Just to set the record straight ... the time changes November 4

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2007, 06:38:05 PM »

Since Canada may be converting to metric time anyway.... maybe we should all convert to universal metric units for time measurement.

We are bringing humor back to the forum ....right?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:06:34 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

murphy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »

Well it's now 12 days until the old fall DST change date (Oct 28) ...

Just to set the record straight ... the time changes November 4

A CM15A that is not connected to a computer will change the time on Oct 28 because it doesn't know about the new date and is using the old rules.  It will have to be manually corrected.  Then on Nov 4 it will have to be manually corrected again.  This problem is the whole point of this thread.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »

Do people in Arizona, Hawaii & Saskatchewan have to manually adjust their CM15A time twice a year?

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2007, 03:29:39 PM »

The alternative is to manually readjust our congressmen/women next November.  :D
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.