Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [HELP] TM751 Only Controls Its Own Appliance Outlet on a Wireless Signal  (Read 5187 times)

Peasmould

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

We've had a simple x10 system for home automation working well for years. The only problem was when we wasted money buying an "over the mains" intercom we had to throw out - it seemed to jam the x10 signals.  We have always switched using two MC460 mini-controllers in different places.

We just added a TM751 module for wireless control, activated with a palm controllers.  The TM751 went in a high garage outlet (for good wireless range) where a plug in appliance module had been switching a 12v 65w transformer for path lighting.  Substituting the TM751, it passes through all the signals to other modules perfectly, and it switches its own little transformer perfectly when it gets the unit 1 wireless signal, but never when it gets the unit 1 MC 460 signal.  We know the MC460 signal reaches that socket, as the plain plug-in appliance module works there every time.  The TM751 does run quite warm, by the way.

I tried plugging the TM751 in the same outlet as the MC460 - still it does not switch when unit 1 is activated on the MC460, when other modules set to unit 1 in other outlets do switch.  Seeing all the unexpected and mysterious things can go wrong, before I sent the TM751 back as an out-of-box failure, I thought I should ask the experts ;) if there is anything else I should check.  (I do realise I can just abandon the faulty TR751 switch function, and continue to use the old module for the transformer, but space and other needs would make it much better if the TR751 could do its job).  Many thanks![/i]

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: [HELP] TM751 Only Controls Its Own Appliance Outlet on a Wireless Signal
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »

...We just added a TM751 module for wireless control, activated with a palm controllers... ...but never when it gets the unit 1 MC 460 signal...

The TM751 doesn't have a PLC Receiver - only RF...

Replace it with a RR501 to solve your problem.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:16:52 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Peasmould

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 07:35:44 PM »

Ahh! I see. You were quick!  Many thanks.

They should say that in the product write-up before we order.  Seems like a dumb design, and hardly what you's expect.  Most people won't have any use for modules that only respond to their set signal from a some fraction of the switches.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 06:24:12 AM »

I believe there was a comparison chart buried somewhere on the X10 site, or it may have been a general Automatin Site where I saw it. On the differences between the TM751 and RR501. Was not easy to find.  I also bought a few TM751s before finding out the differences.  ::)

The lack of powerline receiver also means the TM751  does not see X10 Powerline signals and can send commands over another conrollers signals causing a collision.
The RR501 is polite; as if it sees a powerline signal; waits until the other command is finished. Also has a Unit Switch so that the RR501 can be set to Unit 1 or 9. TM751 is unit 1 only.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 07:33:07 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.