Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiview or Webview Requirements related questions?  (Read 24260 times)

essp2003

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Multiview or Webview Requirements related questions?
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:45:38 PM »

I've seen some real nice work using wave files and other useful suggestions on site.
I was just wondering why never see anything about capture cards for software (JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT X10-11A, WHICH MAY BE FOR RF ONLY).

Really was not interested in RF and/or X10 cameras, but the other stuff seems great.
Right now, I'm trying to see what I need with one or two IR cameras up to 4 with audio.

I'd like the most efficient way to save files, captured images and live recordings with NOT big dual 15k Cheetah scsi hard drives 79 and 38 GB pairs per 2 workstaions. Both less than 25% utilized, but would like to use the powerful dual XEON Rambus supported cpu's if marginal requirments for software (4 virtual processors per each workstation). Storage and maintenance of data is a concern. I don't want to use cumbersome VCR technology. Straight connection to DVR might be a viable alternative, but I have NEVER seen DVR on this site yet - ?

Also, later I'd like to automate, turn things off/on, use as evidence, options on notice, add floodlamps later, etc...

But just starting out with one or two IR audio cameras and the LIGHTEST means of data record capture, the software is a question of what type do I need.

1.  Do other parts of X10 rely on this software?
(FOR NON RF, IT MAY BE BETTER TO HAVE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE SYSTEMS)

2.  Do they require capture cards, which seem very likely?
(JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT X10-11A, WHICH MAY BE FOR RF ONLY)

3.  How do most people store data? ie - is there a free unlimited storage site on the web, ha-ha?
(THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION, OTHER THAN MULTIPLE GOOGLE GMAIL ACCOUNTS)

4.  Is there a direct DVR data solution that would be optimal for me? (I don't have USB-2, but have lots of USB on both Dell 530 workstations)
The only difference I know is when the bios flash is revised, I can't use USB for tools (keyboard) until get up and edited, where as USB2 will start up with USB2 working fine.
(DVR IS COOL IMO, VCR IS OUTDATED AND CUMBERSOME FOR DAILY MAINTENANCE/CLEANING HEADS/FILE STORAGE/...)

5.  I've seen comment on visual software motion sensors with Multiview and Webview are not the best. Is this with all software or just X10's software? Many places even with shareware don't even sell motion sensors since in software. But then it may not be able to commuicate with other X10 devices, which is a problem. There are so many RF waves bouncing around in Central Florida, I would rather not use RF at all unless 6" distance for reliability. Concept is good, but not proven reliable for PC's yet, so...
(THIS MAY BE DUE TO LIMITED INTELLIGENCE OF CAPTURE DEVICE X-10-11A  SIZE)

CONCERNS ABOUT X-10
1. No IR cameras (looking for outside cameras only),
2. No direct DVR data storage/hard drive independent systems,
3. Redundant device on RF reduce reliability of signal accuracy,
4. Wire devices on X10 would get complicated with many redundant components.

I like what I've heard though. Maybe its the easiest way to achieve the results with the least programming efforts.
Several loose ends in technology interfaces are a concern though.

Thanks Guys! I'll keep the questions rolling until I figure it out.
(ITS STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A BIMODAL WIRE/RF SYSTEM WITH REDUNDANT MECHANISMS TO MARRY EVENTS - ?)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:33:49 PM by essp2003 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Multiview or Webview Requirements related questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 08:55:44 PM »

Sounds like your looking for a PROFESSIONAL system.

There is nothing wrong with getting the top of the line, cutting edge (or bleeding edge as I like to call it) camera system. You might be able to save a buck or two and get everything your looking for shopping at Sam's Club (or samsclub.com) or maybe one of the "other" warehouse stores.

There are a lot of DIY systems out there that include Hard Drive recording systems, multiple IR cameras and everything needed.

But I would highly recommend picking up a good cheap X10 camera, that you can test and learn with. There is a few things with cameras and camera locations that you just have to try to see how they will work. IR and IR cameras are great... but they aren't the save-all-end-all. I started with a single camera, and grew it camera by camera. I made mistakes! But none where expensive or irreversible.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

essp2003

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:48:30 PM »

Thanks Dave,

Here's what I'm thinking to start off with:

one or two wide IR camera with sound and 100' cable - $60 ea
http://store.bluecherry.net/Astak_CM_612W_night_vision_wired_infrared_audio_p/cm-612w.htm

INOX DVR
http://store.bluecherry.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IX%2D450  - $220

Optional DVR harddrive, audio, and VGA monitor support est - $130

web cam software -  $80
http://store.bluecherry.net/Active_webcam_deluxe_windows_dvr_software_p/activewebcamdeluxe.htm

And a free lightweight Zone Minder without setting up partitions /Linux on hardrive maybe for some funkier automation - ? Its supposed to be well reguarded by Linux programmers.
http://www.bluecherry.net/support/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=1

So about $430 complete plus per camera charges, and it would keep independent system from my trading workstations as far as data goes. Storage was the main problem since got deluxe processors, ram, and video cards. But want to keep my data seperate. They really have excellent wired IR Bullet cameras too for about $100 to $130 too with Sony/Sharp chipsets and up to 50 or 75' IR range.

BUT, I also want to later utilize some automated features of X10, but the software seems RF only after reading some unanswered complaints on this forum. So I'm not sure what would work for device control. But the IR cameras and DVR looks like my house electrics limited resource alternative. I have 2 - 1.5' x 4' x 6' wire steel racks from Sam's with 2 workstations, 3 UPS's, 7 flat screens, and several wires draped on ceiling and through walls now in my small rented town house (w/garage :-) to balance out amps per box load now.

I'm starting to figure it out, but not quite there yet. Getting closer. I just keep coming up with more dang questions!

Thanks!!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:59:10 PM by essp2003 »

essp2003

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:15:57 PM »

Sounds like your looking for a PROFESSIONAL system.

There is nothing wrong with getting the top of the line, cutting edge (or bleeding edge as I like to call it) camera system. You might be able to save a buck or two and get everything your looking for shopping at Sam's Club (or samsclub.com) or maybe one of the "other" warehouse stores.

Dave,

Thanks for the tip.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=167634&prDeTab=2#A

$500 for 4 Sony IR Outside cams and DVR, with optional hard drive, good for a year until start recycling.
Not sure on sound, but could just leave onTV with an extra UPS. And get a card/box for digital inputs/outputs for doo-dads.
Very impressive. Can't beat that with a stick and worth Sam's $35 or whatever membership is these days.

As always, I appreciate your valuable input!

The ONLY catch is not Internet Access and/or Print capabilities. Walmart has $517 similar security dvr for PC which does not look bad and 200GHz harddrive, but looks like China crap (they sell allot of that, lol). There's always a catch, huh?

Above is Taiwan for Sony cams and South Korea for dvr from Sams: hard to beat that combo, but maybe all that's needed is a card and $80 software to have it all - ???

As well found some of my favorite cost effective electronic company DVR, Samsung (but get 3 year warranty just in case!). On ebay, 4 channel video AND AUDIO players with 160GB HD for $239.
The seller said a model I wasn't aware of (yet) ran $439, but seems fishy for just needing internet access. 4 IR Sony cams would be hard to get for $300 to match Sony deal above (in price alone), but never say never. Maybe I'll look up Sony, but rarely can they match Samsung in price/technology.

It sure would be nice to have complete files for at least a year, but don't know how you can save period files on 4.7GB dvds or store elsewhere. What's the secret guys about data? I know you can have a dual source USB connection for warning signals, but 160GB is only 4.5 days(!) of 30fps. So 2 terraflops (sp?) would only be 1.875 months. A year would be nice. Saving 15 or 10 fps would increase significantly, but I'd like to keep the audio sound as well for my terrorist neighbors as documented evidence. Online service may be my only choice, since this seems ridiculous. Can you imagine the VCR headache of rewinding and stacking tapes daily?

Data really sux on any surveillance systems with audio especially, just the 4 channel variety at that. I guess once a period has gone by and you verify all your alerts are working fine, than you could eliiminate well over 90% of  filmed activity, but I'd like to queue off of intrudors, sounds of one mic greater than another to differentiate coming from a specific house (infrasonic 'pain' sounds), windows opening, etc... Its like Engineering. Talk to as many vendors as it takes with study along side, until you figure it out. Very complicated and deceiving industry to buy anything.

X10 can seem to do it all, in most cases, and this is the best security forum site I've ever seen. So when I get around $500 or less for starters, I should know by then what I need exactly  :-o
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:51:28 PM by essp2003 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.