Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Freewire programming with X10  (Read 62177 times)

jockboy570

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Freewire programming with X10
« on: May 04, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »

I just got my X10 Active Home Pro Unit and downloaded the software and I also bought the new Black & Decker Freewire outdoor units because I have to control some outdoor low volt lighting, fountain, etc but I'm not sure on how to program it. The freewire unit has no house or letter code whhels. It says to plug it into the same outlet as the "Black & Decker" main unit and then press the transmit button which corresponds to the code you want it programmed to. But how do I do this with the Active Home Pro? What type of device do I choose in the set up for it to control the Freewire outdoor unit? I heard it may be like programming the socket rocket since it also doesn't have user selectable wheels. Is this true? X10 tech support said to maybe try assigning it as the "chime" module. Does anyone have any reccomendations on this or has done it?  What does everyone else do or how do they control outdoor items? I thought about using the X-10 receptacle units in weatherproof outlet with the weatherprrof outlet but I was worried about long term moisture ruining the unit.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Freewire programming with X10
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »

Plug in a plug-in remote control (or your AHP interface) on an extention cord with multiple plug-ins. On the same cord, plug in your Black & Decker (Freewire) outdoor module.

Decide which House/Unit code you want the module to use. Then trigger it (turn it on) three (3) times. That should set it (it should turn ON on the 3rd or 4th ON signal).

It will remember the codes even when unplugged and moved, or if you lose power to the unit at some point later.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:07:01 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:47:24 PM »

I have a few myself. As Dave said. Power it up and with in the first 30 seconds send the house/unit code 3 times and it should be reprogrammed.
Any X10 sender like a mini-controller or Telephone Transponder can also be used. All you need is the powerline signal 3 times in 30 seconds.
Yes folks kind of sounds like the Socket Rocket programming procedure; doesn't it?
It clicks like a appliance module inside the modules weather resistant case.

jockboy570

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »

Are there any house codes that work better or worse? 

jockboy570

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »

I guess the AHP is sending a line signal because when I click on the lamp switch it does turn the plugged in lamp module on & off thet I have set up as A1.  I don't think the freewire pickup RF becasue its set up is described as plugging in its "hub" or what we call AHP then the outdoor unit into the same outlet and press the button on the remote you want it to respond to by holding it down until the outdoor freewire unit blinks.
How do I know it's sending line signal vs RF?
 DO you think me buying a receiver/appliance module into the house with the AHP? What  is wrong with house code3s A & M you mentioned? 

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »

All X10 house/unit codes work. However the best codes to avoid are A and M. But the reason why, is a whole different thread.

P.S. I use house code A myself.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 06:15:46 PM »

I guess the AHP is sending a line signal because when I click on the lamp switch it does turn the plugged in lamp module on & off thet I have set up as A1. 

If your NOT using a transceiver... then it sounds like the AHP is sending a line signal. To make sure Check "transceive" for that house code in your AHP settings.

I don't think the freewire pickup RF becasue its set up is described as plugging in its "hub" or what we call AHP then the outdoor unit into the same outlet and press the button on the remote you want it to respond to by holding it down until the outdoor freewire unit blinks.

No... it doesn't receive RF. What Freewire calls a "hub" X10 calls a transceiver.

How do I know it's sending line signal vs RF?

See above.

DO you think me buying a receiver/appliance module into the house with the AHP?

?

What  is wrong with house code3s A & M you mentioned? 

Long story best explained in previous posts. "A" is a default code, I use it for testing (new devices) when motion sensor batteries fail the sensors can default to "A".

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 06:37:58 PM »

Have you read any of the existing *EXCELLENT* FAQs and Tutorials yet?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 01:58:24 PM »

The Freewire module uses power line X10 signals. If you had a Freewire Hub and remote it also can control X10 power line modules. The only thing that is not cross compatible is the hub and remotes. An X10 remote will not access a Freewire Hub and a Freewire remote will not access an X10 Transceiver.
Freewire was an OEM product for Black and Decker [discontinued now]  and even has the X10 FCC Suffix in the ID.

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »

jockboy570,

Safe to use   C, F, G, I, J, L, O.

Don't us A, M.

Questionable   B, E, H, K, N, P.

If you want to know Why.
Do as TakeTheActive suggests and READ  read the existing *EXCELLENT* FAQs and Tutorials.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 01:46:52 AM »

All X10 house/unit codes work. However the best codes to avoid are A and M. But the reason why, is a whole different thread.

P.S. I use house code A myself.
...and I use M but not A. Many are adamant on not using certain house codes. As Dave and others have mentioned, search and read the threads. Then make your own decision as to what HCs you want to use.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

daewootech

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »

ok since noone wants to actually post why not to use those channels, and no on wants to actually link to the FAQs where they say they are at, then can you at least post the directory path to the FAQs?

i know your so smart and your time is so valuable that you can bother to copy and paste a link or quote, but could at least lead the horse to the well? ive went through a couple directories and haven't found this specific post your talking about. B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »

I don't remember any thread on what house codes to avoid. I can't think of any reson to do so.
There maybe reasons to group certain devices together, but most are personal choices.

http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=l2v2t8pnj3cr5fgm3ej6i3igm3&topic=19252.msg107493#new
http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=fia4somvt646m1f9ar60hogk94&topic=7951.0
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=9899.msg57946

A is the default House Code from the factory and could be your neighbors code also. Motion sensors default to A after a battery change so A addressed modules could start going on and off at strange times.
M is what a bad House Code Dial on a module many times reverts to.
Personally I don't think any Houses Code needs to be avoided.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:40:37 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »

Here is a thread that is more recent on picking house codes.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=racj838jjj8n77pr5fulaib204&topic=19756.0

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 06:11:28 AM »

The only reason I can see to not pick certain House Codes would be their digital bit pattern maybe easier to corrupt, but I don't think that is a valid concern. As the message is sent twice and there are some built in checks for valid messages.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.