Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can a wall switch start a macro?  (Read 11059 times)

bensmail

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can a wall switch start a macro?
« on: May 06, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »

I was hoping to set up some self timing lights around my house that frequently are left on... but it seems the wall switch I have does not start the macro. I made a simple macro that starts when the lamp goes on, waits XX seconds then shuts the lamp off. Works with the lamp modules but not the wall switch unless I turn on the light using a remote.

Would any of the other switches work? I only have the WS467.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Can a wall switch start a macro?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »

Macros cannot be triggered by a wall switch, only by a keypress on a desktop controller (like A5 OFF) or by software like the Smart Macros add-on for Active Home Professional.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:02:27 PM »

Make sure the wall switch is set to the House/Unit code you think it is.  Sounds too simple-minded, I know, but I have made this mistake more than once.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:27:27 PM »

I had a simular idea.... I wanted to trigger a series of events when I turned my office lights on.

What I did was: use one of those "stick-on" wall switches. It worked out great for me! It actually allowed me to set-up more then one macro trigger, that I use.

However, when my wife turns on my office lights, she just flips (taps) on the decora switch. What I could have done was use an "in-line switch" and put the stick-on switch on the cover plate.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »

I had a simular idea.... I wanted to trigger a series of events when I turned my office lights on.

What I did was: use one of those "stick-on" wall switches. It worked out great for me! It actually allowed me to set-up more then one macro trigger, that I use.

However, when my wife turns on my office lights, she just flips (taps) on the decora switch. What I could have done was use an "in-line switch" and put the stick-on switch on the cover plate.

Say Dave does x10 list that stick-on switch under modules. Thanks

Tom j

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:25:52 PM »

Another thought: place a motion sensor in the room and use its ability to sense the lamp to trigger the macro. (Sensor must be placed to see only the lamp, of course, and not sunlight, or a dusk control can be added to the macro.) Whatever way the light is turned on (or off), the macro(s) will trigger.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:48:27 PM »

Say Dave does x10 list that stick-on switch under modules. Thanks

Tom j

The catalog entry for it (this is a link) lists it for $19.99 but if you check the "specials and deals" you should get 4 for 1 (or about five bucks each).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.