Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No More VR31A with Dog Ear Antenna!!!  (Read 30184 times)

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
No More VR31A with Dog Ear Antenna!!!
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »

I searched the forum and didn't find this so I think I'm safe on not reposting.

I had bought a motion detected camera for a customer of mine to watch a back loading dock.  After I bought it they decided that they didn't want it.  It was a budget thing, right at the end of the year.

It came with a motion detector attached to the camera, a video receiver that also is a VCR\DVR Commander!

Well I was not getting very good reception with my directional vr31a so I said what the heck, I'll try this one!  I hooked it up, didn't work.  Changed the channel to 2, didn't work.  Changed the channel to 3, bi golly i got picture and not too bad of one either.

I had my vr31 at the total end of my house, since i had cameras all around my house and that was the only way i could get any kind of picture with all cameras. Since i hooked up this new receiver i was getting just as good picture with it.

Then it dawned on me that this antenna was omni-directional so i moved it to the center of the house. All i can say is WOW.  This things gives just as good or better with ALL of my 12 cameras!! And no more trying to fiddle with the dog ear!!(moving up, down, to the side, pointing to the ceiling, etc.) I'm estatic!!!

I haven't played with the vcr commander part of it yet, but since i have all my cameras working with the macros i found on this forum i don't need it, just need the receiver part.

Plus this receiver is really cool looking, has a blue led screen, shows the number of the channel on it and several options.  I don't know what the full potential is for this thing, but i think its great just for the video receiver.

I also hooked up the camera that came with it.  very excellent picture.  hooked it up to my system using a appliance module and added it in AHP as a xc18 camera.

I hope this helps a lot of people as i would like to give back for all the help i received here!!!  heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/Homeland-Security-2-4GHz-Wireless-Activated
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:34:20 PM by hawk1 »
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

DeltaNu1142

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: No More VR31A with Dog Ear Antenna!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:37:07 AM »

Since the item is no longer available on Amazon, I'd like to find out more about it...  looked on eBay & found a bunch of similar ones =)
CM15A with modded antenna - AHP & Smart Macros - IR543 - RR501s - cameras, switches, and sensors oh my!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 12:45:33 AM »

Since the item is no longer available on Amazon, I'd like to find out more about it...  looked on eBay & found a bunch of similar ones =)

Hay could someone provide us with a link. Thanks

Tom j

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com) Edit: Fixed quote formatting.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 04:13:47 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:53:41 AM »

It came with a motion detector attached to the camera, a video receiver that also is a VCR\DVR Commander!

Hi can you explain not sure I understand, are you saying this thing is compatible with x10's cameras?? Thanks

Tom j

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com) Edit: Fixed quote formatting.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 04:16:46 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:14:06 PM »

Hi can you explain not sure I understand, are you saying this thing is compatible with x10's cameras?? Thanks

I have also bought a "stray" non-X10 2.4 GHZ wireless camera. It was/is a cheapy and the data sheet said 150 foot range (line of sight). I have informally tested it against the X10 camera and the and X10 receiver. Range is slightly improved even when used with the X10 cameras, and no "patch" to aim is a nice feature (as the receiver has a regular little antenna similar to my wifi router).

It is NOT an exact match channel-for-channel with X10. However I didn't have any trouble finding one setting that worked. HOWEVER... that does NOT include sound. It is illegal in my state to listen-in without permission, so I never bothered to even test sound.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:37:09 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 01:53:42 PM »

i found another link for you guys!   http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2467658&CatId=1927  it's at tigerdirect model 850.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:26:53 AM »

Dave you can put a high gain atena on that reciver and get more distance for that little security robot.

More range.... More power.. is always nice. But even the patch antenna gives me enough range for my city lot. The problem is often obstructions... getting a wireless signal through a steel garage door is a challenge no matter which antenna is used. Too much power.... and phone and/or wifi service may suffer (or maybe the new neighbors camera/baby monitor could malfunction).

Engineering solutions around the limits of the available technology isn't sexy or glamorous. However, good testing and planning is (IMHO) the key to a solid functional set-up. The non-directional antennas can make set-up much easier.

calldrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »

Dave,
I hope this gets to you.
Can you put a higher gain antenna of a VR31A?
Omni directional is needed!

Chuck Alldrin
Chico, CA

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »

Dave, I hope this gets to you.
Can you put a higher gain antenna of a VR31A? Omni directional is needed!

I read nearly every post. Some are over my head so high... reading them is all I can do.

I have done a few antenna mods... some with greater success than others. Yes you can replace the patch antennas with a Omni Directional. I have done that on a camera. I think it would just as easily be done on a receiver as well. But there isn't a "set plan" for such a mod. So.... results may vary somewhat. I have purchased a "different brand" of wireless camera and receiver (but still 2.4 ghz) off the interweb. Not all the channels worked.. but at least one.. had really improved video range. However audio didn't work... but I don't use audio anyway.

Don't forget cameras don't need be ether/or. You can mix wired and wireless to get in the extra l o n g range camera on extended (CAT5) wiring.

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:19:45 AM »

I am awaiting the rest of my hardware from China, but I am planning to put a 10db gain omni router antenna on a VR42A (the newer version of the VR31.) I'll post pics of my mod and report on how it works when it is done.

My Idea, btw, is to put a mini N connector on the receiver itself, and run an appropriate coax cable to the attic where I mount the omni antenna... we shall see.

I also plan to mod the cameras on Ninja mounts and add similar omni antennas to eliminate the directional nature of the patch antenna as it rotates.

LATE EDIT - 5.22.2010   See this thread:  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=20485.0

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:27:53 AM by glacier991 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.