Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on how to set up Insteon 2476D  (Read 28358 times)

den

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Question on how to set up Insteon 2476D
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:58:23 AM »

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie to using X-10, and am trying it in a very simple application--but need some help.   ???

All I am trying to do is convert a light fixture that had a single pole switch (one location to turn it on/off) to a 3-way (two locations to turn it on/off).  I also want to be able to dim the light from either switch, which is a problem because the fixture has 10 60 watt bulbs, for a total of 600 watts.

I purchased a XPT transmitter with an XP2D cover plate (on/off and dim), and placed this in an open spot in my electrical switch box--this is the new switch location.

I wanted a standard X-10 dimmer switch to replace the existing single pole switch--but because of the load, couldn't get a dimmer.  I have an XPS3--and I hooked everything up, and it works fine, except, of course, I can't dim the light since the XPS3 does not have a dimmer.

Looking around on the web, it appears that if I replace the XPS3 with an Insteon 2476D, I should be able to have dimming, so I ordered one of these switches/dimmers.  (Just ordered a few hours ago.)

Now I am reading the on-line manual for it, and I discover that for it to work with X-10, I need to program in the house/unit code.  The manual says to do this, I need to send the switch  "code-on" 3 times within a 4 minute period.  My question is, how do I do this?  Is this simply a matter of hooking up the Insteon and putting it in programming mode, then pressing the On side of the XPT switch 3 times?  Or do I need some sort of computer interface and/or other device to set this up in the Insteon?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Den

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: Question on how to set up Insteon 2476D
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:07:49 AM »

Just use any X-10 remote to send an "ON".........

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »

No computer needed. I used a Palmpad and an RR501 Transceiver. When you locally actuate the 2476D it will send back out on the powerline what you did. Like turn it on and an X10 Address/On will be sent out. One difference if memory serves me [I use the relay versions as I have CFLs]. On a dim it sends out a dim%. Like Address Dim 50%. Many X10 modules will not respond to a %dim.
Since you had a XPS3 in the switch location you do have the needed neutral power wire?

den

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »

Thanks for the quick replies.

So just hitting the "On" button of my existing XPD three times should do it.

I'll post back once I get the Insteon switch and hook it up.

And yes, I do have neutrals at both locations.

Thanks again,

Den

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 01:42:20 PM »

Should be fine.
Setting a Scene needs special commands. Like sending a House Code/Unit Code only and no action command like an ON.
If you do not have the Full users manuals for any modules download them from the web site. They are much better than the quick guides in the box.

den

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »

Just a quick follow up.

I installed the Insteon dimmer, and after a few false starts, it now works fine.  That's pretty kewl technology.

So now that I have the bug, I'm thinking of adding some more lights--do you guys advise sticking with X10 or moving onto the Insteon products.  Seems like Insteon has better/newer technology, but much fewer product offerings.

Den

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:31:56 AM »

Just remember since Insteon and X10 two way modules also have a powerline transmitter in them. They can absorb signals on the line. Insteon signals are resent by each module but not the X10 ones. So X10 performance may get worse as you add more Insteon Modules or X10 two way modules.
Insteon is not with out problems. Like flaky buttons after being used for awhile.
A few other forums you may find interesting.
http://www.cocoontech.com/
http://www.techmall.com/default.asp
http://www.accessha.com/

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.