Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best way to extend reception on wireless cams.  (Read 18817 times)

Swimhat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Best way to extend reception on wireless cams.
« on: May 26, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »

I have two wireless cameras, two motion sensors, one sender, one VCR commander and one transceiver.  Here is my question:
I have tried almost everything to get consistant switching and recording from both cameras but I have been unsuccessful.  It seems that everywhere I place the transceiver it will only pick up one or the other of my cameras?  Would it make sense just to add another transceiver closer to one of the motion sensors?  Or would it be better to add another video sender?
Please any advice will be appreciated. 

My home is wood and two story.

moocow

Re: Best way to extend reception on wireless cams.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »

I think using a second transceiver should solve that problem

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »

Using a second transceiver should solve the problem as  moocow suggests.  I had the same problem.  By installing two RR501 transceivers close to each motion sensor the problem was solved.  Be careful if you are using TM751 tranceivers.  It is well documented throughout this forum about TM751s not playing well with other X10 devices.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 01:36:59 PM »

...I have tried almost everything to get consistant switching and recording from both cameras but I have been unsuccessful.  It seems that everywhere I place the transceiver it will only pick up one or the other of my cameras?  Would it make sense just to add another transceiver closer to one of the motion sensors?

Please clarify / re-state your problem.

Although I don't use cameras, I don't see how an additional 'transceiver' will help pick up a camera. A transceiver will pick up an RF transmitter: motion sensor, palmpad, keychain remote, etc... If you're having RF reception problems, search the Archives for the 'el cheapo' antenna mod (a piece of wire). Or, if you *REALLY* want to solve *ALL* of your RF problems, take a look at the excellent write-up bcondemi did in Members Sharing Their Original X10 Home Automation Ideas [Updated: 2007/05/16]  (Read 1773 times) regarding adding two external antennas to his CM15A.

Setting more than one transceiver to the same HouseCode is a bad idea, IMO...

Now, if you're having problems receiving VIDEO from two wireless cameras, then I'd search the Archives for posts from Dave_x10_L. The relationship between a wireless Video Sender and a wireless Video Receiver is highly 'directional' - get one clear, the other goes to snow. IIRC, Dave uses a separate receiver for each camera and then 'combines' them 'somehow' - you'll have to SEARCH for the details... ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 02:52:24 PM »

Would it make sense just to add another transceiver closer to one of the motion sensors?

I read Swimhat's problem to be lack of range of the motion sensor to get the RF signal to the transceiver, which through the PLC, activates the video camera.  If that's not the case then ... yes, please restate the issue.

Swimhat

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 08:00:16 PM »

Yes I still think that is my problem?  All I know is that when I have the transceiver and both motion detectors together where I can see the monitor, I can switch between them with no problem.  I have seen some on here talk of two video receivers but I thought once i got the signal onto the house wiring I would be ok?
Thanks for the input so far and I will be happy to keep exploring the possibilities.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:27:24 AM »

Now, if you're having problems receiving VIDEO from two wireless cameras, then I'd search the Archives for posts from Dave_x10_L. The relationship between a wireless Video Sender and a wireless Video Receiver is highly 'directional' - get one clear, the other goes to snow. IIRC, Dave uses a separate receiver for each camera and then 'combines' them 'somehow' - you'll have to SEARCH for the details... ;)

I use a (autoswitcher) audio/video modulator that I purchased at Walmart. Whichever camera is on (it has four inputs) automatically switches and modulates to TV channel three, replacing the regular cable channel three. I have tied that into my cable TV network within my home.

P.S. The unit also provides switching for video out, so using the modulator function isn't required.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Swimhat

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 06:49:48 AM »

Update.  I will be receiving a rr501 transceiver in the mail today.  I will let you know if it solves the problem or not.  Thanks for the help so far..

Swimhat

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 07:09:50 AM »

Well it has gone from bad to worse.  Now I can not get the VCR commander to learn any codes??????
They are sending me another VCR commander so I will just have to wait a little longer.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.