Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vcr commanderII Headache...help!  (Read 29854 times)

michlea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Going to catch my neighbor vandalising my property
Vcr commanderII Headache...help!
« on: May 26, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »

??? ??? ???

Question One:

I've been trying to get my VCR commander II set up on & off for 3 weeks now and really need help.  The motion sensors are triggering the appropriate cameras.  The VCR wouldn't record no matter where I put the IR sensors.  Finally I got the VCR to record when camera shut off. I figured I didn't have the STOP command programmed correctly.  I read some blogs and read the VCR Commander Quick Setup guide.  I tried to clear everything out of the commander but found mine doesn't respond like the "guides" say...  When I press and hold the POWER button, the light never becomes solid.  It beeps a couple of times, then it beeps about 10 times, light goes out, then on, then out and continues to beep another 10 times. It will keep doing the beeping cycle over & over but the light never goes solid. 

Do I have a faulty unit?
How Do I clear the codes to start over?

??? ??? ???

Second Question:  I tried to program the IR codes from the motion sensor into the commander but don't get the response as indicated in the set up guides.  I hold the PLAY button down until it goes solid.  I press the HOUSE/ON button on the sensor and the light remains solid. 

Does the motion sensor have to be pointed at the infra red sensor at the back of the commander?  (I have simply positioned the sensor on the side of the VCR)

Why doesn't my light go out or why can't I seem to program the motion sensor codes into the commander?

??? ??? ???

Question Three:

After you've programmed everything into the commander successfully, do you have to keep the remote pointed at the back of the commander into the infra-red sensor?

Thanks for your anticipated help! 
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Vcr commanderII Headache...help!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 08:41:06 PM »

The VCR Commander (and II) aren't intuitive in their set up. Actually, they can be a bit difficult and even frustrating.

However, if you read (and re-read) the directions carefully .... and follow the directions exactly... it WILL work.

My favorite tips: Are to be sure you try the teaching remote at varying distances, that it has fresh batteries, and that the room is dimly lit. A search here at the forum will provide you with more tips. But the directions that came with you unit does provide all the info you might need.

After you've programmed everything into the commander successfully, do you have to keep the remote pointed at the back of the commander into the infra-red sensor?

No.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:42:17 PM »

michlea,

This page at the X10 Knowlege Base WIKI covers resetting and then learning codes:
X10 Knowlege Base WIKI: Setting Up and Learning with VCR Commander

Things to understand:
1.  The motion sensors communicate to the VCR Commander with an RF (radio) signal, not an IR (infra-red light) signal, so
     they only have to be near enough to the VCR Commander for it to pick up the RF signal (even works through walls, etc.).
2.  Once in the "Learn a motion sensor" mode, the VCR Commander will learn the first X10 RF signal it hears, so all other
     X10 RF devices (Palm-pad controllers, keychain remotes and other Motion Sensors) must be kept silent !
3.  As with any X10 setup involving motion sensors, you must skip a unit-code between motion sensors because each
     one uses the unit-code you set to say; "I saw motion" and the next unit-code up to say; "It got dark out".  So, if the
     first motion detector is set to "A1", the second should be set to "A3"!
4.  The battery powered X10 motion sensors "forget" their address when the batteries get too low or are removed (like
     you have to do to get at the screw hole to mount them to the wall)!
5.  I am less certain of this one, but I think that X10 "security" motion sensors may not be compatible with the
     VCR Commander.  (Hopefully someone else can chime-in on this one!)

I hope this helps at least somewhat.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 10:08:49 PM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

michlea

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »

:o  I don't remember reading the unit code directions telling me to skip a unit code between sensors....I will try that.

So do you mean the first one is set at D1
The second at D3
and the third at D5? 
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:09:42 PM »

:o  I don't remember reading the unit code directions telling me to skip a unit code between sensors....I will try that.

So do you mean the first one is set at D1
The second at D3
and the third at D5? 

Yes.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

michlea

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 10:43:57 PM »

Do you have any idea why I cant get the commander light to go solid when I press and hold the POWER button?
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 11:25:31 PM »

Do you have any idea why I cant get the commander light to go solid when I press and hold the POWER button?

Do you mean to "clear the learned IR codes" ?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

michlea

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 11:53:34 PM »

Yes, I do mean to clear the RF codes completely from the commander....  The instructions say to push the POWER button until the light goes solid.  Mine doesn't go to a solid light...It beeps a couple of times slowly, then beeps about 10 times more...Am I clearing out all the old codes when this happens?

Update: With all the tips I've received so far...I get the VCR to start recording with the motion sensor (It takes longer for the camera to turn on then for the VCR to start recording) 

BUT....It doesnt stop recording after 5 minutes, even when I completely cover the motion sensor...
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 12:21:28 AM »

Yes, I do mean to clear the RF codes completely from the commander....  The instructions say to push the POWER button until the light goes solid.  Mine doesn't go to a solid light...It beeps a couple of times slowly, then beeps about 10 times more...Am I clearing out all the old codes when this happens?

Update: With all the tips I've received so far...I get the VCR to start recording with the motion sensor (It takes longer for the camera to turn on then for the VCR to start recording) 

BUT....It doesnt stop recording after 5 minutes, even when I completely cover the motion sensor...

Pressing and holding the "Power" button clears the learned IR remote codes... I.E. those learned from your VCR remote.

To clear the X10 motion detector codes you must press and hold the "Play" button.

As far as the not stopping recording problem, that is probably because the motion sensor isn't sending the "OFF" command when you expect it to.

What model motion detector are you using?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

michlea

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 10:20:58 AM »

I am using the EagleEye Outdoor Motion sensors - model MS14A

I've since discovered that afterI manually stop the VCR from recording, that it doesn't trigger to record when motion is detected thereafter.....

This is very frustrating and thank you so much for trying to help me...
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 10:38:57 AM »

The VCR Commander (and II) aren't intuitive in their set up. Actually, they can be a bit difficult and even frustrating.

However....... it WILL work.

Don't give up..... your not alone. Your system will work.

michlea

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »

:-[ Thanks, Dave....I sure hope so

I did catch my neighbor in the act, on tape!!!  He got a citation!!!  Yeah!!!

But...I had to turn the VCR on manually.  Last night, someone messed with the front camera.  I wish the system had been working!  lol

Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 02:01:45 PM »

:-[ Thanks, Dave....I sure hope so

I did catch my neighbor in the act, on tape!!!  He got a citation!!!  Yeah!!!

AWESOME!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »

...I did catch my neighbor in the act, on tape!!!  He got a citation!!!  Yeah!!! ...
Three cheers for X10 and your police department! Here's hoping for better relations with your neighbor.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »

michlea:
I too had problems programing the VCR commander. :-[
I had to follow the order of things with the instructions that came with the unit but I also had to follow the more detailed info supplied in the link that Bill supplied.
Also when reprogramming the unit I found it best to clear both the IR commands and the RF commands learned and start from scratch.  It seems just clearing and reprogramming one messes with the other. ::)
Also I found it better(and easier) to program with a palm pad or other x10 transmiter other than a motion sensor! ;)

-Bill- (of BXVC):
Your right the security motion sensors don't work with this! ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 04:26:43 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.