Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Audio Messages Question  (Read 6013 times)

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Audio Messages Question
« on: May 27, 2007, 12:53:11 AM »

Hi,

I started using X10dispatch and I like the ability to give audio message based on conditions. I understand that the idea is to receive audio messages in a central location, but I would like to use this ability to broadcast messages based on events. For instance, if the front door opens, I would like the system to say "Welcome". If the front door closes, then I would like to play a "Don't forget to lock the door" message. I can do that now, but here's the problem: If I want to have multiple audio messages in different locations, I can't direct them to those locations. Instead, all messages are distributed to the computer's speakers. I would like to have the ability to direct certain messages to certain speakers throughout the house (assuming those speakers exist in those locations). For instance, I could have a speaker at the front door, and all the "Welcome" messages are delivered to that speaker alone. I could have another speaker in the garage, and all the garage-related audio messages can be directed only to that speaker. I should also be able to play certain messages throughout the entire network of speakers (in case of an alarm, for instance) if I choose to do so. What would be the best way to do this? Do I need a different application? I know I could use multiple computers / CM15A's combinations, but that's overkill. I am looking for a more elegant solution. I hope I made myself understood, but please let me know if I need to provide more details. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Audio Messages Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 03:53:49 AM »

azzar0,

You could use a "Universal Module" (UM506) set to "Continuous" and "Relay Only".

Run one wire to the remote speaker through the UM506.
Change your macro to issue an "ON" command to the UM506, then trigger X10 Dispatch, then delay long enough to let the whole message play, then trigger an "OFF" command to the UM506!

Viola... directed audio!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 04:02:06 AM by -Bill- (of BXVC) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:29:01 AM »

azzar0:
You could also use wireless speakers ;) :D
Plug each speakers power adapter to an appliance module.
eg: When the front door opened that module came on after the message is played the module turns off.
I use this approach with x10wavplayer.
I plugged the transmiter and my PC speaker into a "Y" adaptor and the free end to the PC sound  out
When the phone rings the speakers are turned on the caller id is announced then the speakers are turned off. Of coarse my PC speakers always play the sound but it to could be put on an appliance module as they are powered speakers as well.
Sylvania makes a nice 900 MHz model which is expandable, the set comes with 2 speakers and a transmiter ;)
One Problem:
The transmiter responds to sound turns its self off after a period of no sound. When it detects sound it turns back on but the first bit of the sound is  lost
Solution:
 I added a system sound like a ping the wireless speakers don't play this put do play everything after!
You may have to have X10dispatcher play a short sound before the one you wish to hear! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 10:32:08 AM »

I use a method very similar to Tuicemens. (Actually.... I think I got the idea from Tuicemen!) Except, I use a hardwire system, because my pockets are shallow. And I use Bill's BXVC.

I use a splitter (designed for MP3 players) at my PC's speaker out jack. It converts the mini stereo jack to RCA plugs.

Then I make my own RCA jacks and two-wire speaker wire to run a mono line (I got a package of DIY RCA plugs at Radio Shack). Voice's are all mono... no matter how you wire them.

Once I get the wire to where the speakers will be. I take a cheap (shallow pocket priced) set of PC speakers (I like the ones with an AC plug instead of a transformer) and convert the speakers mini stereo jack to RCA. I then use appliance modules and macro's to switch speakers (and microphones).

Package of RCA plugs $3.99, cheap-O speaker wire $2.99, PC speakers $5.99, appliance module $9.99. Having Seven-of-nine tell me the time..... priceless.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:04:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

azzar0

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »

Wow!
Three of my favorites X10 guru's replied to my question :)
Thank you guys so much. Of course - duh! Powered speakers is the answer. You guys are awsome!
I like ALL of your suggestions. I completely understand where you're coming from, Dave, and I absolutely love your inexpensive solution. On the other hand, Tuicemen's wireless idea is very elegant and discreet. Depending on how costly the wirless speakers are, I might go with that option.
Bill, I am in the process of installing / playing with BXVC. I actually just read a post last night about converting a baby monitor into a speaker. My question regarding that is - how do you plug the receiver part of the baby monitor into the mic-in plug of the computer? Do you have to modify the receiver?
Thank you all again for your help :)

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »

Bill, I am in the process of installing / playing with BXVC. I actually just read a post last night about converting a baby monitor into a speaker. My question regarding that is - how do you plug the receiver part of the baby monitor into the mic-in plug of the computer? Do you have to modify the receiver?

Everything you could ever want to know about using baby monitors as microphones can be found HERE (this is a link)[/color]. If you don't find all the information you need there, PM me.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »

On the other hand, Tuicemen's wireless idea is very elegant and discreet. Depending on how costly the wirless speakers are, I might go with that option.
I found mine for $49 cnd 2 speakers and a transmitter, shop around I'm sure you can find them cheaper. If you go with 2 MHz speaker they can be found for far less but more things use that frequency and will interfer with them, it may be harder to get a good signal using them ;)
If you don't mine running wires and they can be hidden easily Daves solution is the most cost effective ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »

Wow!
Three of my favorites X10 guru's replied to my question :)
Thank you guys so much. Of course - duh! Powered speakers is the answer. You guys are awsome!

Wow yourself!  I think we three are all blushing!   :D

Actually, that mod is Dave_x10_L's "baby" and you can find out all about it here: Topic: [USER IDEA] Setting Up Multiple Microphones (House-Wide) for BXVC it is designed to connect to the "line-in" port on the sound card (I believe) which will require changing the input setting in Windows "Speech" settings in control panel.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

azzar0

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »

Just wanted to give you guys an  update:

I had a couple of LOLA senders / receivers laying around (I never used them when I ordered them or they came free with other stuff). So I went to the local MicroCenter store, bought 2 pairs of powered speakers ($6.99 each), then I went to Walmart and RadioShack and got me a couple of RCA-to-mini jack audio cables, as well as a couple of mini jack male-to-male connectors (receiver to speakers connection). All in all - about $15 worth of stuff.

Then I connected both wireless senders to the sound card (using an audio signal splitter), and followed your appliance module idea, created the required macros, timed it right, etc. I tested the sender / receiver to speaker connection prior to adding the appliance module, it worked, and then I added the final touches. So far I have both sets of speakers running, one in the garage ("welcome home" / "have a nice day" trigerred by the garage door security sensor), and the other one near the back door / kitchen area.

The mechanics are working perfectly, however I must say the quality of the wireless sender / receiver is questionalble, at best. In the beginning all I could hear was static. I played with the senders locations and finally got it to where I can only hear static 10 times (major improvement compared to before) in 5 seconds. I can hear the message OK, but like I said, I am dissapointed with the wireless senders. Add cheap speakers to the mix and you get the picture. Of course, the cheap speakers are all I need, as long as static isn't present. I will keep looking for other transmitters / receivers, maybe I'll find something more reliable. I purchased the baby monitors yesterday as well, and I will start playing with that as well and let you know how it works.

Thanks again for your help!

[TTA Edit: Added WHITESPACE to improve readability.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:00:12 PM by TakeTheActive »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 11:51:49 AM »

I had a couple of LOLA senders / receivers laying around .................. In the beginning all I could hear was static. .................I am dissapointed with the wireless senders. Add cheap speakers to the mix and you get the picture.

The LOLA units should work. The problem with ANY sound coming from a Computer sound card, is your dealing with a very low amp output. The louder the volume settings are on the PC the stronger the signal will be to Lola, which could be helpful. And (of course) try different "channels" on the Lola settings (there are 4).

I would double check all the connectors and connections, and make sure they are clean and tight. Get the Lola sender as far away from your PC as you can, and as up high as you can.

I purchased the baby monitors yesterday as well, and I will start playing with that as well and let you know how it works.

Cool!

azzar0

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »

The LOLA units should work. The problem with ANY sound coming from a Computer sound card, is your dealing with a very low amp output. The louder the volume settings are on the PC the stronger the signal will be to Lola, which could be helpful. And (of course) try different "channels" on the Lola settings (there are 4).

I would double check all the connectors and connections, and make sure they are clean and tight. Get the Lola sender as far away from your PC as you can, and as up high as you can.

Dave,
I have the sound maxed out on the computer. The Lola senders are set as high and as far away from the PC as humanly possible. I still get static noise in the speakers. It used to be a lot worse, now it's not as bad, but you can still hear the static, which cuts into the actual message. BUT, it proves the concept, and, in time, I may upgrade to reliable wireless speakers or just run wires everywhere.
Thanks!
Azzar0

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »

And so the adventure begins!   ;)   :D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.