Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flood light camera  (Read 41366 times)

unhappy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Flood light camera
« on: May 30, 2007, 05:28:22 PM »

This flood light cams are absolulty terrible!
claim to transmit wireless signal 100 feet, mine ony worked for 20 feet and the front door had to be opened.
only worked sometimes, and sometimes  when it did work ,the lights never went out

highly not reccomended!
the customer service was absolulty terrible
and the tech service  was even worse.
They wasted over 100 hours of my time, not to mention the money I spent for the electrician.
I sent everything back for a refund

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Flood light camera
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 07:12:56 AM »

highly not reccomended!

I have read a "handful" of positive posts about the floodcam, but not enough that I would ever recommend it. It's a shame too, cause I really like the "concept".

What is also a shame is I really DO like the X10 floodLIGHT and the X10 Cameras. I use the floodlight to activate a variety of cameras (some X10, some not). However, I needed to create a macro in AHP to activate a (VCR Commander) recording function, as the floodlight doesn't send RF.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 06:04:53 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 04:03:26 AM »

This flood light cams are absolulty terrible!
claim to transmit wireless signal 100 feet, mine ony worked for 20 feet and the front door had to be opened.
only worked sometimes, and sometimes  when it did work ,the lights never went out

highly not reccomended!
the customer service was absolulty terrible
and the tech service  was even worse.
They wasted over 100 hours of my time, not to mention the money I spent for the electrician.
I sent everything back for a refund

Yep I got one and it appears to work but once it detects motion it times out for 45 seconds or so before it will reliably detect motion again, had it for a little over a year before I decided to put it together, bad move trying to talk x10 to still exchange it because of all the thousands I've spent with them over the years. I to really like floodcam concept but poor quality of the Chinese manufacturing process and cheap components and poor low light performance has made it not really worth the trouble. The daylight performance is actually decent but the night is really horrible the picture quality is pretty good but it's only 20 feet or so away.

Tom j

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:48:32 AM by tom j »

freeafroggy

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 06:33:15 AM »

Mine is not even useful as a floodlight as several months of the year the lights come on and just stay on.  After I bought the camera I switched to 64-bit processing, first XP then Vista and X10 keeps saying drivers are a few months away.  Now over 2 years and still no drivers available to use the camera.  Last time at least they hinted they won't be available until SP1 which will be 1Q next year.  Waste of money. :(

RickC

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:22:23 PM »

Yup....flood light cam stinks.  VERY bad picture at best.....HAS to be used on remote, not direct connect.  The lights work ok - receiver to monitor has very poor picture

Scoop

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »

I have to agree with you on these cameras.. When I saw them I loved the idea but found the video to be very limited in quality and even as flood lights I have reservations. I have two of them and one has worked ok but the other is worthless even as a flood light. I can manually turn it on and off via x10 controls but often within seconds of turning it off it comes right back on. If I leave it alone it will power cycle all night long and the clunking of the internal relay will drive you nuts. I have to use the traditional power switch to turn it off permanently so any kind of automation is out of the question. Another problem is that during the day the lights will come on and stay on even though the sensor is pointed east toward the rising sun.. The crazy part is that at night, when it does go off the motion sensor will pick up on the fact that someone is there and turn the lights back on..  I honestly would have been happier with just a plain old spot light considering the hassle this one has been not to mention the expense.. I purchased the lights when I saw them on the limited deal ads on the web page and because it was winter I didn't get around to installing them until later that next summer. I felt the same thing... mistake..  And I also feel this way about the quality of some of the standard wall lighting switches..  Some of mine have replaced 3 times now.. about once every two years and you might think that is a lot of use but I never touch the buttons except to turn it off because they will automatically turns on but never turns off so every morning I have to turn some of these things manually as a part of my daily routine..   and this has all very much diminished my confidence in any of these devices with regard to their quality and design.

jimazee

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:46:45 PM »

These are amazingly bad. Performance is totally erratic. No rhyme or reason to how they work. Daylight, night time, lights on sometimes shut off usually just saty on. Can't leve em on because of this. They are junk. Act more like a pinball machine than an electronic component.

I will end up replacing all 4 that I bought (throwing them away...) after hours of frustration and ladder climbing to try different adjustments.

They are still being featured in ads...I tried to get an answer on if they have been upgraded/repaired but no satisfaction. If these guys were credible they would do something about it...I will not buy anything from them. They spend too much on annoying ads and not enough on products, testing, customer service. JUNK....

Enuff said

speedbugy

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »

jimazzee, i will send you a ups pickup slip to get them if you gonna throw em away plus a few bucks to pack em up. I been happy with mine so far

TheBigOldDog

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »

These are amazingly bad. Performance is totally erratic. No rhyme or reason to how they work. Daylight, night time, lights on sometimes shut off usually just saty on. Can't leve em on because of this. They are junk. Act more like a pinball machine than an electronic component.

I will end up replacing all 4 that I bought (throwing them away...) after hours of frustration and ladder climbing to try different adjustments.

They are still being featured in ads...I tried to get an answer on if they have been upgraded/repaired but no satisfaction. If these guys were credible they would do something about it...I will not buy anything from them. They spend too much on annoying ads and not enough on products, testing, customer service. JUNK....

Enuff said

I'll bet almost anything they did a large initial production run and they are going to sell them come heck or high water. Once they are gone maybe then they'll come out with a model that works they way they advertise. Actually, they better hope nobody get really aggravated and finds a lawyer hungry for a class action law suit... They are playing with fire.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

...be pretty difficult creating a suit against a product/company that will replace or refund for up to a year - no questions asked.   :'

Find a better quality set of products, and a price within 30% of X10, with a return/refund/exchange policy better than x10's and a stampede will follow you. ;)
X10 isn't $600 software and $50 z-wave modules - it's been around since the 70's, it's buggy, it's a pain in the butt, it takes a bunch of care-and-feeding - and some sense of humor  rofl

If you'all don't like it, send it back, get a refund, and buy something else.  >! Bitching about it here is a waste of time >*< - this forum is operated by users, for users, not by X10.   

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »

Actually, they better hope nobody get really aggravated and finds a lawyer hungry for a class action law suit... They are playing with fire.

FWIW

The class action suit bomb has been dropped before, about other X10 products that "had problems"  (i.e the CM15A and AHP software).

The flood cam has been around for years incurring the same complaints. One of the problems is the CMOS pick up. CMOS does not have high resolution nor good light sensitivity, but the device is much less expensive compared to a CCD pick-up.

"PJ Guy" expresses well the secret by which X10 survives. Make products  as inexpensively (cheap) as possible and exchange product or refund unhappy customers. A "class action suit" would fly ONLY if X10 thumbed their nose at the dissatisfied customers, and they really do not.

As PJ Guy said; there is better, higher quality, equipment available...but at a MUCH higher cost. You have to decide which way you want it. And as an engineer, you know extremely low cost is typically not synonymous with premium quality.

As far as "working as advertised",  I have yet to find any meaningful "specs" for X10 products, so claiming they do not "work as advertised" can be subjective and hard to prove, unless the device is totally defective, in which case the exchange or refund clause activates.

"They are playing with fire".  I really don't think so.  X10 has been operating in the US since the very late 70s. They have HQ'ed in New Jersey, New York, Washington state and Nevada, and so far have not incurred the wrath of any of those state's attorney generals, so if they are playing with fire, they must have a good fire extinguisher on the sidelines.

IMHO, X10 makes pretty good products at pretty cheap prices. I know of no place else where you can get whole house security systems, multi camera CCTV systems with pan and tilt, and fully automate lights and appliances in an average sized home for less than four figures. I guess those of us that have realized that fact are much more tolerant of X10's sometimes marginal quality. :-*

Puck Edit: fixed the quote start/stops
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:09:08 PM by Puck »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.