Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie X10 Contractor Looking for Start Up Ideas...  (Read 35140 times)

tobyiowa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie X10 Contractor Looking for Start Up Ideas...
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »

Hi I am new as a contractor and new to X10, although I have used their products for over 3 years, does anyone have any advice or ideas as a way for me tro start my new business venture in rural Iowa? Hope to hear from you soon....    Toby

MeThinks

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Newbie X10 Contractor Looking for Start Up Ideas...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:47:31 AM »

Man Toby,

I hope it goes better for you as a contractor than we as customers....

8)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »

Toby; Welcome to the forums.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 07:00:29 PM »

tobyiowa Welcome... I'm sure you will find that everyone here will pitch in to help solve any problems. There is an immense group of talented and creative people here.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »

Welcome to the forum Toby!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 07:50:03 PM »

Hi Toby! I'm not a contractor, but I used to work at X10. My advice is to become an expert in X10 and focus on providing solutions to specific problems or situations in your customers' lives. Using the resources here and the training that the team at X10 Pro has (I think they still do training) you should be able to answer all your customers questions about home automation, and more importantly be able to give them ideas for how to use the products that you sell. I do know that some contractors have great success focusing on specific areas, like pool and spa, or garden, etc. It might also be helpful to cultivate a sales contact at X10 who can help get what you need when you're having problems.

bam320

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »

Has anyone tried to use their current retail outlet for over the counter sales rather than being the installer? If so what have you done to market the units in your market area? Is there enough profit to make it worthwhile?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:04:35 AM by bam320 »

dav

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »

Hello and good luck with your venture.  I might have an idea for you!
I'm an electrical contractor in MN and I also  like to do some low voltage installations.  (years ago I was a low voltage contractor in Fargo, ND)
For example, from any computer connected to the web I'm able to control lights and appliances at my lakehome using X10.  ALSO, I can unlock my front door, turn on my well, lake pump, water heater, thermostat and so on with another X10 interface.  I carry my laptop with me so I don't have a computer at the lake and you don't need one on site to make this system work.
 I bought this gizmo that has a built in web server and does the X10 thing also.  I got mine from this site, "www.iramp100.com".  I am going to try to market these in MN...we'll see how it goes.  So far I have had conversations with people that have seasonal property (lake homes) and they seem interested.  It is so cool that I can unlock the front door for the plumber and leave my well and water heater off and the stat turned down until a few hours before we decide to go to the lake.   IP cameras work great alonside this system.......

Dave

tobyiowa

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »

thank you for the response-and I would love to speak with or possibly meet with you and see what it is that you are doing sounds like a great concept. where are you in minnesota?
I am in northern iowa

Toby

jackssib1

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »

::)  me 2,,see you,,good luck.

dillscon

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 10:53:27 AM »

Hello and good luck with your venture.  I might have an idea for you!
I'm an electrical contractor in MN and I also  like to do some low voltage installations.  (years ago I was a low voltage contractor in Fargo, ND)
For example, from any computer connected to the web I'm able to control lights and appliances at my lakehome using X10.  ALSO, I can unlock my front door, turn on my well, lake pump, water heater, thermostat and so on with another X10 interface.  I carry my laptop with me so I don't have a computer at the lake and you don't need one on site to make this system work.
 I bought this gizmo that has a built in web server and does the X10 thing also.  I got mine from this site, "www.iramp100.com".  I am going to try to market these in MN...we'll see how it goes.  So far I have had conversations with people that have seasonal property (lake homes) and they seem interested.  It is so cool that I can unlock the front door for the plumber and leave my well and water heater off and the stat turned down until a few hours before we decide to go to the lake.   IP cameras work great alonside this system.......

Dave

I'm cycling through some old posts here I know but I like your idea.  I'm also an electrician looking to specialize in IT and/or Home Automation.  The settup you described above...what kind of cost is it for you to install that?  I have a few customers who have rental property and the door locking part I think I could sell if I could do it for a low enough price.

twobro

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 05:26:09 PM »

does anybody go door to door selling x10 alarm systems?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »

Never heard of it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.