Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zenith motion sensors with X10  (Read 4595 times)

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
Zenith motion sensors with X10
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »

After listening to hyper sensitivity problems with X10 motion sensors I went with Zenith Wireless command automation setup available at Home Depot. Zenith outdoor motion sensors are outstanding. They have a sensitivity control, can see 180 degrees and can detect up to 70 feet. At 3/4 sensitivity setting no false alarms even bright daylight.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100044253

But this system has limited expansion so I am wondering has anyone linked this sensors with X10 receiver?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:09:36 AM by RCaddict »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Zenith motion sensors with X10
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »

....................I went with Zenith Wireless command automation setup available at Home Depot. Zenith outdoor motion sensors are outstanding.............
But this system has limited expansion so I am wondering has anyone linked this sensors with X10 receiver?

I wonder with you! I have read both ways, of compatibility with X10, and NOT. Are you an X10 user? Does the Zenith Home units have "settings" that could be similar to X10? Could the INcompatibility issues be RF related NOT PLC?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »

I found the Users Manual for their Remote Controlled Products.
They use a set of switches to set their code.

Problem is they do not give the frequency they transmit on so we don't even know if they use the same as X10s 310MHz; without an FCC ID to search for.

The Indoor and Outdoor motion sensors do have nice features. Adjustable Range and time before a off is sent. The Indoor also has a Night or 24 Hour Mode to select when motion is sensed.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 09:31:46 AM »

Thanks Brian H!

I have been working on a full perimeter detection system and have had fits with the front yard area. Traffic and sun has made false triggers excessive.

I am thinking about both the Zenith (or other brand) wireless units, or of using (non-X10) high quality hardwired motion sensors designed for floodlights. The advantage of the hardwired floodlight sensors are range of detection and HUGE variety of configurations. I read somewhere of simply wiring the "normal sensors" to turn ON a doorbell transformer, instead of a floodlight. Then the 12volt DC doorbell current could be used to trigger a powerflash unit.

I have even considered burying a driveway probe into the driveway.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »

Zenith sensor gives excellent performance, 180 detection and 70 foot range. With sensitivity @ 75% no false signals at all even in very hot day. It is weather proof and inexpensive even comes with nice pivot mount.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.