Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: using wired and wireless  (Read 38575 times)

tinnman357

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
using wired and wireless
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:17:45 AM »

Hello all,
     Could someone (if even possible) direct me on how to hook both the Sentinel (wired) and several wireless x10 cams together to work with my va11a and AHP? I need the Sentinel wired due to location, I have separated most of the wireless cams from the bases with cat 5 (method from other post) so all my antennas are within 10' of receiver. I do not want to go tinkering with the Sentinel (too expensive). End goal is to be able to view and controll everything thru AHP/ internet.
                                                                                                                                                                             Thanks

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: using wired and wireless
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 11:37:16 AM »

Both WalMart and K Mart have a video modulator for around $35 that has four inputs. You could take the output of this to the VA11A. This neat unit automatically selects the active video input. If necessary you could create a macro in AHP to make sure that all the unused cameras are turned off.

Dave_x10_L  put me onto this device.  Thanks Dave
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:43:10 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

tinnman357

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:02:23 PM »

Thanks Jim and Dave. I will give it a try.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 05:16:01 PM »

You could also just use a Y adaptor between the VA11A and the video reciever and sentenal as long as the sentenal is off when using your wireless and wirewless are off when using the sentenal! ;) A little cheeper then $30 but not as Cool! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tinnman357

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 01:08:58 PM »

Jim & Dave,
        Worked like a champ. Walmart here had them for $26 and change. Thanks again!

Mr Tuicemen,
        Thank you for your input. Using RCA splitters allows me to veiw cameras in 3 different locations.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 01:14:51 PM by tinnman357 »

goody1006

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:58:56 PM »

I have some questions for you guys--

I recently bought a 3-camera wireless system, and have now discovered I will get the coverage I was really seeking by adding a wired camera to a tree which will show all of my drive, etc...

(From another topic, I see that changing the wiring on a 'wireless' to a 'wired' will void the warranty--which I don't want, so I'm needing to add a wired camera to my system.)

I've read these posts, and I don't have a clue as to what y-splitters, & the like are.

I want to be able to attach at least 150 foot of cable to the wired camera: to run from the tree, into the house & into my DVD recorder/player (or, tv??) for recording when I'm gone.

Is there already a tab (like on a phone) connector on the camera itself--or just how does this work?  Do you simply connect the correct wires at the base of the camera, and then attach the tab to the other end?  Or, am I needing the type of connector used for 'cable' & satellite systems--I'm not connecting this to my computer--but to the tv & dvr. & I haven't noticed a 'phone' type port on either unit.

I understand 'wiring' in general--I can match colored wires--

I haven't hooked up the motion detector yet, and after reading several posts--wonder if it is too sensitive for what I'm needing--I've lots of fir & pine trees which move almost constantly in the wind--will this keep the motion detector constantly recording??

I need this system set up--like last week--I've both a crazy next-door neighbor and a relative I'm dealing with--& if I can get them on camera--they're busted for violating restraining orders.   Can anyone help me decipher this? ???

Thanks---

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »

goody1006:
Y adaptor probably cheaper at Radio Shack!
Doing a search with Google will turn up lots of info on video modulators! ;) :D ;D
You can get a telephone line extention and plug it into the one that comes from the wired cam now to get the extra length needed!(Note: it must be a 6 wire  extention)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

goody1006

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:20:03 AM »

...thank you!

sphon721

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:35:54 PM »

JimC

that works great with all the cams except the sentinel, the sentinel keeps transmitting video via wire, the only thing that stops is the wireless transmissin

cj4

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:07:05 AM »

Hummmm, will this modulator auto detect which cam is transmitting?  All of the modulators that i have found has to have a button pushed or selected to choose which input you want feeding out of it?  Will this really work???? I'm wanting to mix 2 wired cams with 2 wireless cams.  I also want to view these from the internet....I can't be there to push a button to switch between them, the only way it would work is in Active Home Pro when you choose a cam, the others are shut off but if the Sentinel is always transmitting in a wired situation this wouldn't work would it?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 10:49:37 AM »

.............  the others are shut off but if the Sentinel is always transmitting in a wired situation this wouldn't work would it?

The Sentinel's always on hardwire line is a bit of a fly in the butter. (For those who have never used the Sentinel.. turning it off merely turns off the wireless video signal... the wired portion of the video feed delivers 24/7)

However you can switch the video line on/off using a Universal Module (UM506). You may need to construct a macro or series of macros to get other cameras to switch off the UM506. As the UM506 will not react as part of a group of four (like the smaller cameras power source does).

More HERE including image.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:07:21 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

MEBCS

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »

Someone at X10 told me there was no way to use my HARD WIRED CAMERA with my ActiveHome Pro / iWatchMobile configuration. 
Wrong;  think about it.  All you need to do is convert the "Wired" to "Wireless", and turn it on/off.

Lines 01 to 15 are standard for the ActiveHome Pro configuration, along with lines 17 to 19 that take the commands from the PC and send them to the devices.
I would like to mention I use a Round Video Receiver (VR46A) to receive wireless video.  It has a much cleaner image.

I purchased the VT46A (line 30) to Convert the Wired camera to wireless.  I power it on/off using AM486 (line 26).

This has enabled me to locally and remotely (iWatchMobile) select and view several cameras.

** If you have a domain I would suggest using iWatchMobile, not iWatchMobile Pro.  The servers at X10 are overloaded, bandwith or lack of system resources, I don't know.
** Support at X10 has not been able to answer any questions.  Making an appointment a week or so away to speak to someone is not acceptable.
** With TZO.COM you can setup a domain, configure your router to port forward 8777 to your ActiveHome Pro PC, and you're up and running.  No more 500 - Server Errors.
** You'll find the images on you're phone or remote browser are also cleaner.
** JUST SAYIN!

01) +================================+
02) |NOTEBOOK COMPUTER               |
03) +================================+
04)   |  |
05)   |  +---------------------------------+
06)   |  |USB Video Capture Adapter (VA12A)|
07)   |  +---------------------------------+
08)   |    |
09)   |    +--------------------------------+
10)   |    |Round Video Receiver (VR46A)    |
11)   |    +--------------------------------+
12)   |
13)   +--------------------------------+
14)   |Wireless PC Transceiver (CM19A) |
15)   +--------------------------------+
16)
17) +--------------------------------+
18) |Wireless Transceiver (TM751)    |
19) +--------------------------------+
20)
21) +--------------------------------+
22) |WIRED CAMERA                    |
23) +--------------------------------+
24)   |
25)   +--------------------------------+
26)   |Appliance Module (AM486)        | CODE  A2
27)   +--------------------------------+
28)     |
29)     +--------------------------------+
30)     Round Video Sender (VT46A)       |
31)     +--------------------------------+
32)
33) +--------------------------------+
34) |Ninja Pan/Tilt Kit (VK74A)      |
35) +--------------------------------+
36)   |
37)   +--------------------------------+
38)   |xCam2 Color Camera (XX16A)      + CODE A3
39)   +--------------------------------+
40)
41) +--------------------------------+
42) |Ninja Pan/Tilt Kit (VK74A)      |
43) +--------------------------------+
44)   |
45)   +--------------------------------+
46)   |xCam2 Color Camera (XX16A)      + CODE A4
47)   +--------------------------------+

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.