🖥️ActiveHome Pro > Software Problems & Bugs

Firmware Revisions and Module History

(1/4) > >>

Boiler:
I recently became interested in Firmware revisions when I noticed that my two CM15a units responded differently to Identical macros downloaded from AHP.  My "old reliable" unit would not trigger a macro when the transceived input was disabled.  When I plugged my newer CM15a in,  and downloaded the identical file,  everything seemed to work.  I chalked it up to a bad interface and went along fat, dumb, and happy.

The problem is, everything else hasn't worked.  The newer interface simply acts differently (I have a couple of posts documenting some of these differences).  Some of the fixes that I had in place for the old interface are no longer required.  Bottom line is, my AHX file had not changed since February, plugging in a newer CM15a fixed one problem but caused several others (I'm still working through these). 

I now believe that my old interface is fine and that it's firmware differences that broke my system when I swapped interfaces.  I am currently running the old unit with my the AHX file from Feb of this year (yes, I keep backups on my server).

I've never seen a Firmware revision history posted anywhere (This may be a closely guarded secret).  I thought it might be useful to document the firmware revisions in use by the forum members.  If we can collect enough revision history, and observations, we may be able to clear up some of the mysterious behavior that people run into.

Device   Model   Date Code   Firmware   Notes
Transeiver Module   TM751   01H35   P10485B   Date code and Firmware Version on back of device
Transeiver Module   RR501   02D16   P10283E   Date code and Firmware Version on back of device
Controller   CM15a   04I38   P10792E   Date code on back of Device - Firmware on Controller IC
Controller   CM15a   06L50   P10792M   Date code on back of Device - Firmware on Controller IC

What I believe to be the Firmware revision (P numbers above) is easily located on the back of most of my plug-in devices.  X10 pulled a fast one on the CM15a - the "P#" is attached to the controller IC inside the unit (See photos).  The top of the unit (where the batteries are located) is rather easy to remove after taking out the 4 screws on the backside.  There is plenty of wire length to prevent yanking the antenna and battery connections off the motherboard, but be careful none the less.

Newbies - While I would appreciate information on the latest revision levels, understand that removing the cover will void the warranty and could cause ESD damage (electrostatic discharge damage)  to the controller.  Don't do this if you're unfamiliar with ESD device handling procedures.

Back to the table above - If I'm interpreting things correctly, my "old" CM15a was manufactured in '04 (about right) and has a Firmware revision "E".  The new controller was made in '06 with a Firmware revision "M".  That's a lot of revisions! If we can collect enough information, maybe we can figure out what they all mean.

TTA: Sorry about the horrible formatting - I can't seem to get the tables to work.

Firmware Revision History By Module

Device           |_Model |_Date Code |_Firmware |_Notes                                                            Transeiver ModuleTM75101H35P10485BDate code and Firmware Version on back of deviceTranseiver ModuleRR50102D16P10283EDate code and Firmware Version on back of deviceControllerCM15A04I38P10792EDate code on back of Device - Firmware on Controller ICControllerCM15A06L50P10792MDate code on back of Device - Firmware on Controller IC

[TTA Edit: Formatted table.]

Brian H:
I will give my CM15As a look. I did notice in the photo that one of yours had the controller chip in a socket. I believe one or more of mine also are in a socket.
I believe the base number starting with the P is a part number the revision is the letter suffix.

04J41 Soldered in P10792E
04J44 Soldered in P10792F
05C10 Socketed   P10792M
05C18 Socketed   P10792M
Both 05 date code units also have a different RF Receiver as those two do not have a large tunable coil on them that both 04 units do.

Boiler:
Brian,

I can confirm that my '06 unit does not have the tunable coil either.  It's interesting that your '04 units are soldered.  Both of mine are socketed.  The socket obviously adds cost (and reduces reliability).  I wonder why they switched back.

I've been poking around the Cypress site reading up on the controller (CYC63723x-PSC).  I found the following "errata" that refers to a problem with the two GPIO inputs and false interrupts.

http://download.cypress.com/publishedcontent/publish/design_resources/errata_update/contents/encore_cy7c637xx_errata_rev_____silicon_rev_a__13.pdf

From what I can tell from the schematic, one of the inputs is used for Rf and the second is used for the powerline crossing detector.  The errata refers to "individual software application fixes".  This could explain a bit about the quirkiness of the CM15a.  It'd bee a H@$$ of a note if the "software" problems we've been complaining about were due to a controller hardware problem.

On a positive note, Cypress has a newer version of the chip with Flash memory (how nice would it be to be able to download new firmware?).  Unfortunately the pin-out has changed as has the memory and stack allocation.  Firmware would be a re-write.  The emulators for the new chip seem to be reasonably priced - makes a person stop and think.

http://download.cypress.com.edgesuite.net/design_resources/datasheets/contents/cy7c638xx_8.pdf

Brian H:
I have seen posts on powerline noise in some cases messing up the CM15A. My 04 and 05 units do not have bypass caps where normally would be used. Can't say about 06 and 07 units.
Post indicated adding from VCC to VDD on U1 and U2 along with across C11 and C12 helps in the crashes.
Socket on the U1 chip maybe was for easier firmware updates as it could just be exchanged if a problem was addressed.  My 04J41 to 04J44 changed from E to F. Both soldered so harder to do a production upgrade if already soldered.

Walt2:
For my CM15A...

* There is a round sticker on the back that reads "04B09"
* There is a hand-written note inside the battery compartment that reads "Rev May 21"
* Inside there is no sticker on the CY7C63723-PC, and that device is in a socket
What version firmware do I have?   ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version