Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help with codecs  (Read 8868 times)

gbholzer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need help with codecs
« on: June 27, 2007, 07:10:18 PM »

I am just using a single camera and a motion sensor triggered by a macro.
It is working just fine now that I have been tweeking on it.

But now I would like to improve the image quality of the recorded files.

I have gone thru all of the codecs and have not seen any difference between them.
I am not even sure if they are even loading, it allways defaults to the Cinepak by Radius.

The Microsoft 1 seems to load but the quality is very poor.
Also tried the uncompressed, but that image is the same quality as the others.

The best quality possibly is the Intel IYUV but it does not record properly, there are vertical lines that run thru the image but I can see more details.

Are these other codecs that I am seeing in the selection menu even available since they don't load?
Are there others that would work that can be installed?

Thanks,
Gary       

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Need help with codecs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:04:53 PM »

I don't profess to be an expert with Codecs, but I do have two wireless cameras that record onto my PC when motion is detected.  The quality of the picture is acceptable.  And it is quite reliable.  Interference can cause "lines" and even distort the picture.  There are many threads that discuss line noise and RF interference as well as how to correct it.  Suggest you do some search/research on these forum topics if you haven't already done so.

I'm assuming you have a wireless camera.  You didn't say what kind of camera you have.  I have the XX11A.  So my experience is limited to that camera.

I have 640 x 480 selected for Capture Resolution under General Video.  Under Video Settings I have Quality selected at 100% and Microsoft Video 1 selected for Codec.  With frame rate at 6fps.  The quality of your recording will improve if you increase the fps to higher numbers.  However, this will decrease the amount of recording time.  Example I'm recording for about 5 1/2 minutes with the 6fps.  If I were to increase that to 30fps, my recording time would be about 1 minute.

My personal opinion is that the quality of the picture will not change by changing the Codec.  You can do some minor adjusting with the lenses.  You can select different channels (A,B,C,D) on the camera and video receiver to improve picture quality and reduce interference.  You can adjust the antenna on both the receiver and the camera.  Experimenting with different locations may improve picture quality too. 

You may have already tried these things, but don't expect HD type of images.  These are low cost cameras that are susceptible to lots of interference.  Hope this helps some.     

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:10:52 PM by Don N »

gbholzer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Need help with codecs
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:52:36 AM »

Don,

Thanks for your reply,  The camera that I am using is a hard wired night vision camera that is not an x10 model.  It has 420 lines of resolution and that is less when in night mode.

I was seeing a quality difference between some of the codecs. On my computer the             Microsoft video 1 looks awful, the cinepak looks good and the Intel IYUV looks like it has the best quality image but it has those pesky lines, which are very evenly spaced thru out the image, it definitely looks like a codec issue.

Right now I am using the cinepak codec recording at 640 x 480 and the image looks fine.
I was just hoping to improve it some.

Thanks again,
G
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:50:24 AM by gbholzer »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.