Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 particulars.  (Read 12894 times)

Skeet

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 particulars.
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:09:43 PM »

Hello, this is my first post. I was looking at the X10 pan 'n tilt system and I have a few questions.

1.   Can I attach a 1.5lbs consumer camcorder to it safely? Is there a standard tripod mount option?
2.   Does it need to be controlled by a pc, or can I do Pan and Tilt just with just the remote?
3.   Can it be powered with a battery instead of the AC adapter?
4.   When panning from preset #1 to preset #2, is it smooth? Can the time interval be adjusted, or is it pre-determined?
5.   Are the pans really "fluid"? like on a good tripod?
6.   Is there a manual I can download?

more questions to come.....

Thanks for any insights or info -- you all have a great lineup of products!

Skeet

Skeet

Re: X10 particulars.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 03:32:42 PM »

32 views in 12 hours is great-- but no answers yet. I tried the phoneline, but the hold time was too long. Can anyone here pick-off one of these questions for me? I'd like to get one of these ASAP.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »

I like the other 31+ viewers read just about every message but don't reply unless I feel that I can contribute to the solution rather than the problem. I held off posting because I expected someone else would post a more complete answer for you. The Pan 'n Tilt Kit looks like it could mount on tripod but it doesn't have a tripod mount. Furthermore I don't feel like it would support 1.5lbs if you could attach it. Maybe someone that has used the kit can give you more information.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 04:33:37 PM »

1. Maybe. Don't have data on an x10 cameras weight.
 2. It is controlled by an RF signal from a remote or PC controlled sender. Note If you have more than one. They have a powerline controlled power supply to turn them on and off. As the X10 wireless camera also has a power lead on the mount.
 3. If you have only one the AC powerline controlled supply could be replaced with a battery and proper connector. In theory. Someone who has done it may chime in.
 4. I believe it has one speed as it pans or tilts.
 6. The users manuals and some install guides are in the X10 support area. http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm
 Also here is another source of X10 information the X10 Knowledge Base. http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page
 I will unpack mine; if I get a chance; and try to find more data for you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:27:13 PM by Brian H »

steinie44

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »

Hello, this is my first post. I was looking at the X10 pan 'n tilt system and I have a few questions.

1.   Can I attach a 1.5lbs consumer camcorder to it safely? Is there a standard tripod mount option?
2.   Does it need to be controlled by a pc, or can I do Pan and Tilt just with just the remote?
4.   When panning from preset #1 to preset #2, is it smooth? Can the time interval be adjusted, or is it pre-determined?

1. I don't think the Ninja will handle the weight. I have 1/4 lb. non X10 camera's and that's about all it will handle on tilt
2. You don't need a PC but you will need a Transceiver To turn the Ninja On/Off.
3. The signal to power the Ninja is through the Power Line, but the Pan Tilt are RF Commands. Not sure if battery will work.
4. Panning is very smooth from preset to preset. Can not adjust interval , speed.
5. See #4.
6. http://software.x10.com/pub/manuals/vk74a-om.pdf
get-R-done...........!

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »

more questions to come.....

Thanks for any insights or info -- you all have a great lineup of products!

Skeet

1. No. There's no tripod mount and the motor won't last when used with heavier weight. It's specifically engineered for the lightweight XCam2

2. You can control it with the remote that cocmes with it. If you want free software to control from the PC use the CM19A and the Firecracker (XPad) software.

3. It plugs into a DC transformer, so you should be able to replace the transformer with a battery pack and the right connector.

4. Panning and tilting are slow, but smooth. You can't change the timing or speed of the movement.

5. They're pretty fluid, although slow compared to a good tripod. You don't see any jerking or back-movement normally.

6. ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/vk75a-om.pdf (another option from the link already provided).

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »

1 - I would like to add that the mounting thread is 1/4 - 20 the same thread as a standard camera tripod.  I have some all metal infrared cams mounted on mine but never checked the weight of them. I know there way less then 1.5 lbs though. You may need to experiment a bit with the weight thing. If the camera's weight doesn't hang over to far and its not top heavy the Ninja may move it. (has plastic gears as far as I know)
2 - When you purchase the Ninja it should come with a controller. (CR14A) That will send the RF needed to Pan-n-Tilt the unit.
3 - The Ninja comes with a hard wired 76 inch cable attached with a 1/8 inch female stereo type plug. The power pack is a 2-pin AC plug type with a rated output of 12VDC at 200MA. The output lead measures 78 inches long with a male 1/8 inch stereo type plug.
4 - All of mine pan smooth and at the same rate. No jerking at all. Speed is not adjustable.
5 - Mine all start and stop without any jerking.
6 - See above posts.

So far all of them have been able to handle the heat and the cold of summer and winter.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Skeet

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 07:40:50 PM »

Thank-you one and all for taking an interest in my questions and offering your experience. The general consensus seems to be that 1.5lbs might be too heavy, but I can certainly try it. I'm game.

The project is a ceiling or wall installantion in a rock club of an un-manned camera. It will be wired for video-preview from 50 ft away and I'm thinking that in addition to a fixed positions, it might be nice to pan across the stage- but only is it is done at an extremely slow pace. So the question is: is the pan speed fast or slow? There are other devices that do allow time-adjustments AND can move up to 3lbs, but they cost much more and sadly, MUST be connected to a pc. Hence the Ninja.

You all are are a great crew. Good luck on your projects, too.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »

At about 50 feet from the stage the pan should be slow enough to get a good long view of the stage with no problems... (other then maybe the weight.)

My cam on my driveway is about 50 feet away. I was just panning back and forth and I would say it will keep up with a normal person walking. Doesn't really fall behind or move ahead of them.

If you do a wall mount the Ninja comes with a nice L shaped bracket to mount it to a wall. There is not much space behind the Ninja for anything to hang out though.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:07:35 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Skeet

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 08:45:44 PM »

Thanks, KDR. Could you guestimate the distance from A to B and the timing? If not, it's OK.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 08:47:22 PM »

Thank-you one and all for taking an interest in my questions and offering your experience. The general consensus seems to be that 1.5lbs might be too heavy, but I can certainly try it. I'm game....
If you decide to try it make sure no one is under it when it falls. The Pan 'n Tilt is not built to handle that much weight upside down. Besides you would have to build an adapter to mount the camera to the small mounting holes of the Pan 'n Tilt.

The Memorex Pan-O-Matic Wireless Pan Tilt Head, Model MX-TRPH might work. Not sure if it is designed to be used upside down but it is designed for use with a camcorder. It can operate with batteries or the included external plugging supply. It even comes with an optional external sensor for the remote. I bought mine several years ago and I can't seem to find a good link for you yet.

Ok I found this a picture of it mounted on a tripod.  Model MX-TRPH
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 08:59:20 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Skeet

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 09:01:11 PM »

Thanks, steven. I'll do a hunt for it now. btw, I didn't envision the Ninja being upside down, I saw it inside an L-bracket or shelf suspended from ceiling or coming off a wall. It's alaso possible that it might be on a wall in the back of the stage, facing the audience with the musicians in the foreground.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 09:41:45 PM »

Thanks, steven. I'll do a hunt for it now....
I'm thinking it might be an old model but I'm sure there must be something like it if you don't find it.

I got my Pan 'n Tilt in a box of stuff I got on auction. I haven't picked up a camera to go with it yet. From everything I've read I honestly don't think the plastic gear mechanism would hold up to the stress of a 1.5 lb camera in your application even if it was mounted upright.

Do let know how the project works for you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 09:43:28 PM by steven r »

Skeet

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »

OK, will do. There are indeed other heavier-duty wireless devices. Though I could'nt find an in-stock memorex source, I did locate another device at seems to be geared for up to 7lbs. I thank you for your advice, alltough I feel a tiny bit uncomfortable musing here about alternate machines.... I'll drop by and say hello if this project becomes a reality later this summer.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.