Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP Crashes when trying to access Video Preferences  (Read 23668 times)

X10inGA

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP Crashes when trying to access Video Preferences
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »

After many years of trouble-free (or at least accepting some of the bugs) ActiveHome/X-10 usage, I find myself in a bit of a Pickle and did not find any posts for my current issue, so here it goes....

I'm trying to access the video preferences to change some settings (adjust the codec, etc) in order to correct common issues with video recording etc, but I am unable to do so.  Active home consistently crashes when I attempt to do so.

The crash occurs when going to Tools/Preferences and clicking on any of the following tabs:  General Video, Still Capture, Video Settings or Multi Camera.  AHP never fails…  to crash that is, the second I click on any of the above mentioned tabs.  Other tabs within Preferences seem to work fine.  Except for the OnAlert tab which has always been blank, but does not cause a crash.  I presume there are currently no settings for it???  Can anyone confirm that?

Anyway, back to the original problem.  I figured it was due to possibly a faulty iWitness (iWatchOut) installation, so I reinstalled it only to continue having the same exact problem. 

My current setup:  AHP Pro v3.206   -   Plug-ins: Smart Macros, iWitness, MyHouse Online, OnAlert
Running on:  Win XP Pro SP2, up to date on patches, updates, drivers, etc

The problem occurs even with no other programs running in the background, whether or not AHP is connected on MyHouse Online and with no X10 activity whatsoever other than simply clicking on the tabs for any of the video related settings.

Error:  “Active Home Professional has encountered a problem and needs to close…..”

If anyone has a fix for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

X10inGA

Re: AHP Crashes when trying to access Video Preferences
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »

This is still an unresolved issue.  ActiveHome crashes when accessing any of the above mentioned tabs.  I am unable to set/change any of the video preferences.

Is anyone having or has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a fix other than a full uninstall and starting from scratch?  I have already reinstalled iWitness with no luck..  : (

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »

This is still an unresolved issue.  ActiveHome crashes when accessing any of the above mentioned tabs.  I am unable to set/change any of the video preferences.

Is anyone having or has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a fix other than a full uninstall and starting from scratch?  I have already reinstalled iWitness with no luck..  : (
There are many post which state this problem! ::) Do a Advanced Search and you'll find them!
The problem is most likely your O.S.  :( anything less than XP will cause this! :( ::)
An uninstall and reinstall will not fix it if that is the case! :(
If you have XP or greater just recreate a new AHX file ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10inGA

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:29:25 PM »

I continue to have this problem and it does it on two separate machines, a desktop PC and a laptop.  Both running Windows XP.  .  Nothing I have tried resolves this.

Creating a new ahx file does not work and the problem occurs even when using the default ahx files that come with the ActiveHome installation.

Any other ideas?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:44:35 PM »

X10inGA: I can't help you with a fix for this, but I can say that I also have this problem. I am running on Win2K, with all the same plug-ins as you, and on two different set-ups on two different PC's. Since I don't use a VA11A USB video capture for iWitness I don't have any need to access these menus, so it's never been an issue for me.

You never mentioned having the VA11A in your description, so I'm wondering if the lack of one is the reason behind the crashing. Or in my case at least, as Tuicemen mentioned, it could be a Win2K thing.

BTW This problem wasn't there (for me) during AHP Version 3.204; it was there before and returned with Version 3.206.  ???  ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:46:19 PM by Puck »

X10inGA

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 08:20:36 PM »

Yes, I do have and use the VA11A USB video capture which is the reason that lack of access to the video settings is a problem.  I need to be able to change the video codec and other settings.

I'm on Windows XP though, not Win2k.  I did not have this problem prior to AHP V 3.206

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:20 PM »

Have you seen this post? Updated msvcr71.dll From MS Fixes AHP Under Windows XP Randomly Closing..YaaaYYY!

This post is referenced in Tuicemen's very helpful Having ActiveHome Pro Problems? Please Read This First!

I also recall reading of a conflict with the VA11A and ATI video cards  ??? Maybe try an advanced search on these two words if yours is ATI.

X10inGA

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »

Yes.  I updated the msvcr71.dll even though it was the same version, etc.  It sitll crashes even after updating.  I've pretty much given up going into any of the General Video, Still Capture, Video Settings or Multi Camera settings as it ALWAYS makes AHP crash..

One nifty tool in that article though, the Watchdog-o-matic seems like will come in handy for random AHP (and other program) crashes.  It still does not fix my problem though as I can't adjust any of my video settings, codecs, etc.   :-\

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:20:38 PM »

One nifty tool in that article though, the Watchdog-o-matic seems like will come in handy for random AHP (and other program) crashes.

Speaking about that, here is a similar freeware version that I use: AppDog 1.41

Just download and unzip. There is no install.

If your OS is Win2K or up, copy this to the APPDOG.INI file:

[common]
WatchCom=0
Warning=15

[ByMessage]

[ByTitle]
Active Home Professional=c:\Program Files\ActiveHome Pro\ActiveHm.exe

Run the AppDog.exe and when AHP closes (or crashes) it will restart automatically after 60 seconds.

Just make sure you close AppDog if you really do want to shut down AHP.  :D

Mr Bob

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: AHP Crashes continually . . .
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 with all updates

In the last week, I downloaded and installed AHP with SmartMacros, iWitness and MyHouse.  On start up it notifies me that I have iWitness installed but cannot connect to the Video Capture Device.  (I haven't installed it yet!)  Otherwise, it generally starts off ok.  But then, without notice, it locks up.  It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing when it occurs.  It has happened when editing a macro, or simply flipping a switch from on to off, and it happens every time I click on any kind of dim switch in the interface. 

I have dl'd and installed the latest msvcr71.dll - without effect.  And the user manual doesn't offer any help at all. 

Can anyone here offer any thoughts or suggestions?  I would be beholden for any help I can get.  \

Thanks!

Cheers!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Bob H.
Southern Maryland

X10inGA

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:23:53 PM »

Finally.  A solution was provided by X10 support for the original problem on this post "AHP Crashes when trying to access Video Preferences".

Here it is..  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/ActiveHome_Pro_Crashes_In_Preferences_Screen

I did have to reinstall the "On Alert" plug-in which was not mentioned in the solution provided, but for some reason it uninstalled it.  All other plug-ins seemed ok and yes, it did resolve my long and on-going problem. 

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 08:36:27 PM »

To bump an old thread.....
Puck,
Thanks for the info.  Appdog is just what the doctor ordered.  All works fine now. +1
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.