Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RF Security and X10  (Read 11014 times)

adam230

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RF Security and X10
« on: June 26, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I just installed a small X10 system in my home.   It works great with an active phase coupler, and all modules are running fairly reliably.   One concern I have, when expanding my system, is security in the RF signal sent to the X10-branded transceivers from X10 remotes like the palm pad.

Although this works great if I'm the only one on the block with home automation I certainly don't want someone outside my house with a palmpad going though house codes / unit codes and causing havoc.   

Is there a way / product available that implements a rolling code system similar to garage opener systems?

Thanks,

Adam.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: RF Security and X10
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:32:17 AM »

Although this works great if I'm the only one on the block with home automation I certainly don't want someone outside my house with a palmpad going though house codes / unit codes and causing havoc. 

Although it isn't unheard of for a neighbor's X10 devices causing problems.... it isn't comman by any measurement. Putting a light in you widow, that is X10 controlled, should allow you to walk your area and see what the range-risk area might be, for a roving practical joker.

Is there a way / product available that implements a rolling code system similar to garage opener systems?

No. I've never heard of such a system. However X10 can be controlled COMPLETELY with PLS (power line signals) by using plug-in remotes (no RF).

Or.... a more creative and technological solution. You may be be able to run your entire system through macros in AHP (Active Home Pro). This could allow you to create a ON/OFF macro.

This would be a conditional before EVERY action (macro) activated through AHP.
The conditional would look like if D1 is OFF and D2 is ON then .... [perform what ever action is desired in the macro... turn ON lights...]
This would allow you to "shut down" your RF remote control... PARTICULARLY if the "D" house code is NEVER tranceived.... in other words... "D" would/could only be activated using a "plug-in remote".

Or..... use AHP... don't transceive ANY house codes and control all your devices through BVC (Bill's Voice Commander).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:10:11 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

adam230

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion, it's an interesting approach.   

However the way I understand it, is that I would need to transmit a "knocking" sequence to the transiever before the acutal command is passed.   This works, but given that people are putting suff like gas fireplaces, etc.. on these systems, external security becomes an issue, people are getting more and more tech savvy.   

I wish X10 or someone other created a rolling-code approach for RF remotes.    X10 has the widest support for devices at the present time, even though other technologies are availabe and in some regards inheritly address the security issue.  It only makes sense to continue evolving the X10 standard.

Adam.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:35:12 AM »

On another note... I know of a couple users here at the forum that use ALL OFF commands through a a timer in AHP. The all off turns everything off at bedtime and when they go to work.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:35:44 PM »

I certainly don't want someone outside my house with a palmpad going though house codes / unit codes and causing havoc.   

X10 RF range isn't really all that far, especially from outside.

If someone can be in your driveway, or sit on your front porch, for any length of time and cause havoc with your X10 system, you have far, far worse general security problems that simply someone turning a lamp 'on'.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

adam230

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 12:18:19 AM »

"The previous content of this post violated the posted X10 General Forum User Etiquette Policy and has been removed.

In addition, the original poster has been warned.
"

[TTA Edit: Etiquette Policy Violation.]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 07:21:21 PM by TakeTheActive »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.